• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Selecting shoes that can be worn with Khaki pants and Jeans...

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JapanAlex01
, I am being smarmy, but you could have said, 'it depends on the shoe'"”which, I'll agree, it does! Get over yourselves, people"”life is too short to be so cocky!
wink.gif

Or hobble around in too small shoes.
wink.gif
Whatever works for the wearer.

officeboy

Reaction score
No, I was showing off the loafers on the two images! The way the men (in the images) utilise the shoes, to go with their outfits, is very aesthetically pleasant. I have no idea why black loafers are useless, to you—they are black shoes, if they look nice then they are useful?
I thought they both looked silly, the shorts with black loafer boarded on hilarious, and in the other picture the shoes just disappear into shadow. And OP if you liked those shoes, you might see if you could exchange them for the Cognac. That color would go well with almost anything you could wear.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, how are shoes too small if a half size bigger they slip off your feet..?!

Ok, you don't like black loafers"”you are aesthetically challenged, in one area?!

Now, I will leave this thread alone because 1. I can't learn anything from people who don't see the understated beauty in black loafers (like so many people I know do"”including two women who work at Japanese Vogue"”why I have to bring that up, I don't know) and 2. I feel bad for turning the OP's thread into some (terribly negative) dick jousting contest!

officeboy

Reaction score
Also OP, I wonder if something like this neo moc might fit the overall theme of light khakis and jeans better then the dressier shoe you posted.

greenrebellion

Reaction score
Originally Posted by officeboy
Also OP, I wonder if something like this neo moc might fit the overall theme of light khakis and jeans better then the dressier shoe you posted.

Still has the brand name on the outside which is probably bad, but I think you are right that I can go a little more casually.

I seem to really have an affinity towards wine/burgundy color so I might try to find something in that color. I'm also a big fan of the way the suede boots look, but they may be a tad on the casual side when I want to go for a dressier look with khaki's button down shirt.

Much to look at and think about now, how will I ever make up my mind. At least my gut was correct that the original shoes I bought weren't good!

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I said certain types of grey—do you have eyes?! Yes, I am being sarcastic, but you were being all small dick syndrome! I admit, it may be the image, but you don't have to be a dick! Lol, black loafers are worthless?! Ok..! *walks away creeped out Like I said, I prefer brown suede or ox-blood leather—here's a few pictures that show blacks effectiveness!
049.jpg
080.jpg
Original poster:
014.jpg

I don't think the black loafers look good at all on the guy in the first picture. The color clashes with everything else he is wearing, and the shoes make him look like he has hooves instead of feet. Second pic looks OK though. I agree with whoever posted that the third pic with the brown boots is the best one.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, to chime in on the black loafers bit, I get a fair bit of wear out of mine. Gray or black casual pants, be they chinos or formerly black jeans work great. And you can wear a penny loafer with anything south of a suit, and sometimes even that IMO.

Black loafers are only useless if you hate black shoes. Unlike large elements of SF, I don't. I wear other colors a lot, but unlike many on here I don't actively avoid wearing black. While brown may work and be a bit of a rebellious thing, black is the natural choice for gray. And surely anyone on SF has at least one pair of gray trousers or chinos.

As for the OP, Bass Weejuns in burgundy. I find them to be true to size, if you're wearing your true size rather than your sneaker size, which for many is rather different. If they're tight in the toe, don't worry about it. They break in before too long and will then be individual to your foot.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please ignore whatever JapanAlex01 has to say. He may find two girls in Japan that agree with his opinion, but there is a reason why this is a men's style forum and not a "let random women rate clothing" forum.

Brooks Brothers Black Fleece currently has a 25% off sale. Just enter 06friend in the coupon code at checkout.

I think these ould make a great summer shoe and you could rock them with jeans, chinos, or even a summer suit. I may just pick them up:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

If you want loafers, I think these are pretty nice and you have the option from black or brown. Made in the USA with full goodyear welt construction for under $300:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...WN_4?$altview$

By the way, I wear suede shoes with suits and I know there are others here that do the same--although I find it more of a fall look.

I also have one pair of black Gucci loafers that I wear a lot when I travel as they are easy to get on and off going through security and they are black so can wear them out at night. When at home, I usually wear brown though.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off, they are very good dressers, themselves—so don't take your ignorance out on them! Secondly, just because you have small dick syndrome, atm—don't take it out on me! Even if I find a guy to be particularly nobbish, stupid, contrarian (nothing against a good opinion, but some people are just hipsters) or ignorant I will read every one of his posts/opinions separately. I.E. if he says something I like, then my usual distaste for him won't be held against him. Seeing as I have not been here long, I don't think you could have even come to the point of disliking me, really—I haven't written anything trollish or plain hateful, at all?! So I like black loafers, like the poster above and many other people I know, so do a lot of people! If they are well made shoes, and to your particular tastes, then there is nothing wrong with them, imo! If you were to give me reasons for your opinion, perhaps we could discuss (friendly) the ins and outs—and we could have an interesting conversation which I am not above! So far, all you have shown is that you an elitist **** who is being contradictory about how a new member should perform, in this forum—we're not allowed to speak our minds, and older members can act like dicks (and **** us **********)?! Yes, I'm over-exaggerating/being over-dramatic, but I'm tired of elitism on internet forums—I should have guessed it would be no different here. At least, with the few prats in this thread! That being said, 1. I may forget who you are, later on, and 2. I wouldn't hold it against you, if you said something I agreed with/interested me (even if I didn't agree)/could chime in on!

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by commodorewheeler
I don't think the black loafers look good at all on the guy in the first picture. The color clashes with everything else he is wearing, and the shoes make him look like he has hooves instead of feet. Second pic looks OK though. I agree with whoever posted that the third pic with the brown boots is the best one.
While I'll whole-heartedly agree the brown shoes are the best (my opinion before this thread), the black loafers, in the top picture, work well because they are a nice, sharp contrast to the casual wear, on top! They make the casual, boyish outfit look smarter! That is the kind of thing the Japanese are great at, perfect aesthetics—trust me, I lived there for a year! While I'm thinking about it, the second guy rocks because, even though the waistcoat is on the plain/miss-match side (which I like on this guy), the washed-out blue and black really works—especially, for his age! Liquidus: do you know they are those shoes—I think they might actually be! (Plus, I want them!)

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I was showing off the loafers on the two images! The way the men (in the images) utilise the shoes, to go with their outfits, is very aesthetically pleasant. I have no idea why black loafers are useless, to you—they are black shoes, if they look nice then they are useful?

Regarding sizing, I think you will find, at the very least, hundreds of people who concur with me. In fact, I went into town today and tried on some loafers—hay, guess what, they were one full size smaller than what I wear! Yes, I am being smarmy, but you could have said, 'it depends on the shoe'—which, I'll agree, it does! Get over yourselves, people—life is too short to be so cocky!
wink.gif

Newcomer: I only give my opinions about thing—just like anyone else here! I was, honestly, trying to help him. If you believe my opinions are unfounded—say so, but don't be a dick about it. Like you said, I'm new (wow, I can be very sarcastic!). I am not above admitting I am wrong or that maybe I was on the fence on something and swing the other way. Black loafers are nice shoes and are very useful. Black loafers work with the outfits those men are wearing. They go with most things. I never said burgundy doesn't go with grey—I said wine! Two different colours (although, I may be stretching it). It is something I would not know until I placed certain greys next to those, particular, shoes I posted—whether they would go, or not. I was trying to be safe. Hell, they may work. You could have said, 'I think they would work'. Manners people, please! All because I called the colour of a pair of shoes tacky..?! *oh boy! You know, there are plenty of professional music critics, out there, who would say that Radiohead are good. Of course, this is rubbish—they are terrible! Sometimes an amateur can tell you more..!
wink.gif

The pictures you posted are quite terrible and if anything, disproved your point as a brown or wine loafer would have gone much better with that outfit and not clashed as much. Brown is a much more versatile color and goes with just about everything and that is why everyone keeps recommending brown.

Every brand of shoe I have tried on and every last fits differently. Once you find a brand and last that fits your feet, that is your size regardless. As far as hundreds of people agreeing with you that they are great: that does not mean anything as most people do not know the first thing about clothes or shoes. As I said before, I have a pair of black loafers and I usually only wear them when traveling as I do not find them very versatile.

There are obviously lots of people that do not agree with you and no one is being a “dick” as you put it. You have not told me anything as an amateur except you have demonstrated how not to type a cohesive paragraph and have continuously assaulted my senses with terrible writing. By the way, Radio Head is awesome!

Ok, how are shoes too small if a half size bigger they slip off your feet..?!

Ok, you don't like black loafers—you are aesthetically challenged, in one area?!

Now, I will leave this thread alone because 1. I can't learn anything from people who don't see the understated beauty in black loafers (like so many people I know do—including two women who work at Japanese Vogue—why I have to bring that up, I don't know) and 2. I feel bad for turning the OP's thread into some (terribly negative) dick jousting contest!

Buy shoes that fit and they won’t slip off your feet—full stop! No one said they don’t like black loafers just that they are not the most versatile shoe and other colors were recommended. Back is a very severe color especially during the day.

Here I’m going to assume that English is not your first language and much of what you wrote is incoherent. Once again, you brought up penises. I don’t really understand the relevance, but I take that as unfamiliarity with western culture. For future reference, we tend to not talk about our penises much especially not while discussing shoes with other men. If you wish to discuss penises, there are other forums for that.

No one cares what two women think who work in Japanese Vogue. If you can’t learn anything on this forum, than I suggest you go else ware—perhaps a penis discussion forum. Everyone else is on here to discuss and learn about style.

First off, they are very good dressers, themselves—so don't take your ignorance out on them! Secondly, just because you have small dick syndrome, atm—don't take it out on me! Even if I find a guy to be particularly nobbish, stupid, contrarian (nothing against a good opinion, but some people are just hipsters) or ignorant I will read every one of his posts/opinions separately. I.E. if he says something I like, then my usual distaste for him won't be held against him. Seeing as I have not been here long, I don't think you could have even come to the point of disliking me, really—I haven't written anything trollish or plain hateful, at all?! So I like black loafers, like the poster above and many other people I know, so do a lot of people! If they are well made shoes, and to your particular tastes, then there is nothing wrong with them, imo! If you were to give me reasons for your opinion, perhaps we could discuss (friendly) the ins and outs—and we could have an interesting conversation which I am not above! So far, all you have shown is that you an elitist **** who is being contradictory about how a new member should perform, in this forum—we're not allowed to speak our minds, and older members can act like dicks (and **** us **********)?! Yes, I'm over-exaggerating/being over-dramatic, but I'm tired of elitism on internet forums—I should have guessed it would be no different here. At least, with the few prats in this thread! That being said, 1. I may forget who you are, later on, and 2. I wouldn't hold it against you, if you said something I agreed with/interested me (even if I didn't agree)/could chime in on!

The incoherence of this run-on paragraph is baffling and paranoid. No one is picking on you or being a snob. Once again, the point is that there are better options out there to black loafers. Your paragraph mentions penises a couple of times as well as sodomy which I find very confusing in a conversation about the correct style and color for a casual shoe. I am very confused as to what this whole paragraph is about.
Once again, penises have no place in this conversation so please keep yours in your pants and stay away from public sodemy.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I am English. 2. Your last post was slightly less elitist. 3. You, or someone else, said no black loafers... ever?! 4. Radiohead do suck! 5. I said you have small dick syndrome. I know this is quite common on the internets, so it's fine. Hopefully you'll get better!
wink.gif
6. How was my post incoherent? Maybe you can't read English? (No offence to foreigners!) 7. I never said I couldn't learn anything from this forum. I said I couldn't learn anything, about blacks loafers, from you because you, obviously, don't like them/get them. Read more!
wink.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I am English.
2. Your last post was slightly less elitist.
3. You, or someone else, said no black loafers... ever?!
4. Radiohead do suck!
5. I said you have small dick syndrome. I know this is quite common on the internets, so it's fine. Hopefully you'll get better!
wink.gif

6. How was my post incoherent? Maybe you can't read English? (No offence to foreigners!)
7. I never said I couldn't learn anything from this forum. I said I couldn't learn anything, about blacks loafers, from you because you, obviously, don't like them/get them. Read more!
wink.gif

1.) You are English? King George III is rolling over in his grave as the English language has digressed so severely that an American is correcting an Englishman's grammar.
2.) I honestly had no idea that you were saying my post were elitist. I have no idea what I may have said that came across as elitist (or anyone else for that matter). All I ever recommended was brown shoes with brouging or wingtips or suede shoes. I do not understand the elitist connotation. If I said something elitist, please quote me on it.
3.) Please quote people when claiming they said something.
4.) If you don’t like Radiohead, that is fine by me. However, a correct statement would be: "Radiohead does suck."
5.) Not sure what “the internets” are or even what small dick syndrome is. They did not teach me that in medical school so I’m assuming it is an English thing.
6.) If you do not know how your post was incoherent, then I will not waste your time pointing out misspelled words, words used that have not meaning in the context that they were used, run-on sentences and paragraphs, and sentences that were just plain incoherent that no matter how many times they are read do not make sense in either the King’s English or in Standard American English.
7.) Various people have been trying to point out to you some style errors or misconceptions. Your response has always been very aggressive and repeatedly referred to male genitalia. If you want to learn something on this forum, you have to be able to listen and take criticism. I happen to like black loafers and, as I pointed out various times, own a pair.

tgt465

Reaction score
I am not entirely conversant with international style conventions, but it has been my observation that in Asia (particularly China and Japan) the black loafer appears much more readily accepted than in the US or Europe. I believe the protocol of taking one's shoes off in homes has made slip-on shoes more desirable, even for more formal situations where black is the appropriate color. Personally I would chalk up the differences in opinion as a cultural thing more than anything else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads