• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

seersucker and patchwork madras, sans douchebaggery

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hullo MC,
I tend to be a SW&D poster, but I get the sense that you guys are a good crowd to ask about traddy and preppy clothing.

Anyway, I'm looking around for some good seersucker (and possibly madras) shorts to wear this summer with plain t-shirts, OCBD's, Jack Purcell's, etc. Based on some observations, a lot of people wearing such shorts come across as huge assholes. Other than slim fit and reasonable length (I'd like something long enough that I can cuff once/twice and have the shorts hit just above the knee), what might help make seersucker, or even madras come across less douchebaggily? Any other kind of shorts that would have the same Ivy feel, without being associated with a-holes?

Also, any brand recommendations? I'm all for authenticity, but am also hella scrawny, so the usual trad labels tend to fit big on me. FWIW, I dig the Thom Browne/Tim Hamilton/Rag and Bone take on the Americana aesthetic...

Thanks much,
wmmk

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never associated madras or seersucker with douchebags... perhaps because I wear so much of it.

Is that Ed Hardy fellow entering into a collaboration with Shep and Ian, or somthing?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, not that vein of douchebaggery. More like boisterous, loud Dartmouth fratboy types of douchebags (no offense to D, I know some very cool folks who go/have gone there). At my particular high school, most guys regularly sporting [ill-fitting] madras shorts are lacrosse players who drink far too much and are generally not the sort of people I like to associate with.

I just want to wear my shorts without anyone calling me "bro", or, worse yet, "brah."

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You would like Engineered Garments. Not sure if they'll be doing patchwork madras shorts this season though.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
You would like Engineered Garments. Not sure if they'll be doing patchwork madras shorts this season though.
Ooh, nice. Most of the EG I see in WAYWT tends to be workwear-inspired stuff like chambrays, so I hadn't given them much of a look. The SS/09 seersucker looks great, but I shudder at the thought of what the price might be.
Originally Posted by JayJay
J.Crew usually has them in slim-fit that look nice.
Yeah, based on a trip to the J. Crew at 900 Michigan this weekend and a quick look at the website, their only current seersucker shorts are "regular fit," and their madras are "easy fit." Coming from APC skinny jeans, those felt a bit big on me.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Ooh, nice. Most of the EG I see in WAYWT tends to be workwear-inspired stuff like chambrays, so I hadn't given them much of a look. The SS/09 seersucker looks great, but I shudder at the thought of what the price might be.
Shorts are usually around $150-200ish.

Here are the ones from last year, model name is "Newport" shorts I think.

2299187412_05f9181318.jpg

Neo1824

Reaction score
You could always get something pretty close in fit than get it tailored to slim it up

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Ralph Lauren would have something as well. You could probably find pairs on ebay.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Club Monaco (if you get them in your area) do a few seersucker suits and shorts every year. They're owned by polo so they might do higher end versions too.

Shorts are one of those things I always buy on clearance the summer before at the end. Normal $89 go for like $19 or something. That and white jeans.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo1824
You could always get something pretty close in fit than get it tailored to slim it up
Ah, true. I'm so used to the world of denim, where any tailoring above the knee sends to go terribly wrong. I'll post fit pics of the J. Crew so you guys can advise me on whether it's slim enough that tailoring would be relatively easy.
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Club Monaco (if you get them in your area) do a few seersucker suits and shorts every year. They're owned by polo so they might do higher end versions too. Shorts are one of those things I always buy on clearance the summer before at the end. Normal $89 go for like $19 or something. That and white jeans.
Yeah, there are quite a few here. Didn't know they were owned by RL, but I'll check that out. I'd get them on sale, but I lost 40 lbs. and got an inch taller since last spring and don't rally have any shorts that fit well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads