• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Secured Credit Cards

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to get a credit card so I can start building a credit history. Unfortunately, I'm not a full-time student so I can't get any of the student cards. My credit union said I could apply through them but I probably wouldn't be approved. Do I have any options other than a secured card? And which ones are good?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I started out with a horrible Capitol One card - something like $600 limit with a 30%+ interesting rate. Kept it for two years and was able to get a real card after that.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does a charge card help build credit?

You can probably get a charge card without too much drama.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
I need to get a credit card so I can start building a credit history. Unfortunately, I'm not a full-time student so I can't get any of the student cards. My credit union said I could apply through them but I probably wouldn't be approved. Do I have any options other than a secured card? And which ones are good?

I don't think any of them are any good. I'd go have a sit-down at your credit union and ask for an exception.

An alternative would be to take a small signature note at your CU; say $500 and pay it back in a couple months. Keep doing that and you'll not eat up a bunch of your capital paying the secured card fees. Have you read the fine print on those deals? Everyone I've ever seen is an incredible rip-off.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's how I built my credit when I moved to the states.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have a parent who could co-sign? That's how I built my credit - when I was a teenager my mother co-signed a card for me. Eventually, after I'd had the card for a while, the company took my mother off of it. It took a long time for them to take her off of it, but that may be because neither of us never asked.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Building credit by debit is one of the funniest things out off America.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Secured cards are generally a last resort, I would stay away if you can.

Approval at your Credit Union is dependent on a few things, mainly your standing relationship with them and your cash balances both immediate and history. A savvy banker will know how to manipulate your application to get you approved. Underwriters only know what a banker tells them (generally).

Do you have any bills? car loan, student loan, gym membership, phone bill? All of these are considered in early credit history. If you have any of these in decent length then approval is pretty likely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics