• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seattle shopping?

lastlight

Reaction score
I'm heading down to Seattle and staying near Pike Place. What good shopping is there down there (I;m well aware of the outlets by Tulalip) I'm coming from Vancouver.

Ideally places for discount. Also any good romantic mid-range restaurants (ie 25 per entree area) that would be good to go to/snacks/good coffee etc.

Thanks

(ps did search and everything is older)

Limniscate

Reaction score
I just went down to J. Gilbert's on First Ave. to try on some Aldens and was told that they have a $25 fitting charge. Does anyone know if they usually do this? I have a feeling they just didn't want to help me because I looked young.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Down the street from the market on 1st is Jack Straw. Further ways up in Belltown there is \t
DeCaro Sartoria and Kuhlman. The rest of the shopping will be found along the Pike/Pine streets. For the discount shopping there is only the Nordstrom Rack.

For restaurants check out Cafe Campagne and Le Pichet, both casual French restaurants.

Originally Posted by Limniscate
I just went down to J. Gilbert's on First Ave. to try on some Aldens and was told that they have a $25 fitting charge. Does anyone know if they usually do this? I have a feeling they just didn't want to help me because I looked young.
lol, bizarre. It's news to me, though I haven't stopped in for some time. I certainly wouldn't pay it.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

That does seem odd. I've had salespeople there almost insist that I try shoes on. But I have bought from them before.

I have a feeling they didn't want to help you because they thought you were just getting sized so you could order online from somewhere else.

brandom

Reaction score
Shopping in Seattle is atrocious, if memory serves. The $25 wouldn't surprise me at all.

For lunch, be sure to hit Salumi's one day. Expect a line if you aren't there by 11am. It's worth it. Pick up your sandwich, soup, and/or pasta to go and head to a park. The place isn't romantic, but the food is fantastic and you can make it a picnic. My favorite sandwich is the standard Salumi's Salami with fresh mozzarella, onions, and peppers. The meatball and Muff are also good, though. Think of splitting a sandwich, as they can be pretty big, and getting something on the side like soup or pasta of the day.

Tat's is probably the "other" best lunch deli, but it prides itself on being true to Philly, so I think getting a cheese steak is more of a Philladelphian-living-in-Seattle rather than a Canadian-visiting-Seattle thing. Still not a bad choice, but don't choose Tat's above Salumi's, and that's certainly not hitting your "romantic" ideal.

Cafe Campagne in Pike Place is a good breakfast or lunch place as well. Not too expensive, great views of the water, and will go over very well. Le Panier up the road is a good French bakery to try, and very reasonable. For a quicker bite, Chowder at Pike Place Chowder is solid, as well, and Matt's is good to great for lunch.

It's Seattle, so finding some good Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai food on the cheap should be relatively easy. The best places were always those that didn't speak much English, didn't accept credit cards, and didn't have an abundance of stray cats outside. Ask around and they should be easy to find. Not romantic, but the food will be good.

For dinner, it's a little tougher because the 'nicer' romantic places tend to be out of the price range you mentioned. Try the Pink Door (Italian) one night. Chez Shea sounds slightly out of your price range, but it would be another solid dinner choice. If you spring for sushi, I would probably go Shiro's or Nishino's, but depending on what you order that can blow out your budget as well.

You might want to grab some food at some of the bars/nightlife places. Belltown Billiards and the Matador have pretty good bar food.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandom
Shopping in Seattle is atrocious, if memory serves. The $25 wouldn't surprise me at all.

For lunch, be sure to hit Salumi's one day. Expect a line if you aren't there by 11am. It's worth it. Pick up your sandwich, soup, and/or pasta to go and head to a park. The place isn't romantic, but the food is fantastic and you can make it a picnic. My favorite sandwich is the standard Salumi's Salami with fresh mozzarella, onions, and peppers. The meatball and Muff are also good, though. Think of splitting a sandwich, as they can be pretty big, and getting something on the side like soup or pasta of the day.

Tat's is probably the "other" best lunch deli, but it prides itself on being true to Philly, so I think getting a cheese steak is more of a Philladelphian-living-in-Seattle rather than a Canadian-visiting-Seattle thing. Still not a bad choice, but don't choose Tat's above Salumi's, and that's certainly not hitting your "romantic" ideal.

Cafe Campagne in Pike Place is a good breakfast or lunch place as well. Not too expensive, great views of the water, and will go over very well. Le Panier up the road is a good French bakery to try, and very reasonable. For a quicker bite, Chowder at Pike Place Chowder is solid, as well, and Matt's is good to great for lunch.

It's Seattle, so finding some good Chinese/Vietnamese/Thai food on the cheap should be relatively easy. The best places were always those that didn't speak much English, didn't accept credit cards, and didn't have an abundance of stray cats outside. Ask around and they should be easy to find. Not romantic, but the food will be good.

For dinner, it's a little tougher because the 'nicer' romantic places tend to be out of the price range you mentioned. Try the Pink Door (Italian) one night. Chez Shea sounds slightly out of your price range, but it would be another solid dinner choice. If you spring for sushi, I would probably go Shiro's or Nishino's, but depending on what you order that can blow out your budget as well.

You might want to grab some food at some of the bars/nightlife places. Belltown Billiards and the Matador have pretty good bar food.

Pink door for sure. Was just there the other night; awesome restaraunt.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just went down to J. Gilbert's on First Ave. to try on some Aldens and was told that they have a $25 fitting charge. Does anyone know if they usually do this?
I've been there, tried on shoes, and wasn't charged $25.00. I did buy a pair of shoes though. I'll be back in Seattle later in the summer and will be curious to see if they mention a charge.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Perhaps you're on some kind of Alden dealer blacklist.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...06#post3166906

scrappydoo

Reaction score
Lads,
I am ttt this thread because I am doing the exact same thing as the OP. I have Nordstroms, the Rack downtown, and Tualip outlets on the list. Please assist in more shopping stores. One thing I am looking for is a top end all leather shoe.. Spectator style.

Also lunch and fine"ish" dinner that is kid friendly, but will also allow us to taste what Seattle has to offer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics