• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Byredo is launching a menswear line. Usually the other way around

They did some bags before, IIRC, which didn't impress me much, though I didn't get to give them a thorough RachReview. Does the market need more wannabe nichy-menswear labels? Seems like a weird vanity project to me.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was warm yesterday here as well and I tried Malle's Cologne Indelible for the first time. Within five minutes I could tell I was having a reaction to something in it and washed it off. Still, I ended up with a wicked headache that lasted a few hours. Don't know what's in that formulation that set me off, but very few frags have given me such a headache.

shoewarma

Reaction score
Got a sample of L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu the other day to see what the hype is all about. I wore it today, and it really is a great fragrance. Love the aromatic incense and light vetiver.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Got a sample of L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu the other day to see what the hype is all about. I wore it today, and it really is a great fragrance. Love the aromatic incense and light vetiver.

One of my favorites and a "love at first sniff" when I tried it when it was released back 10-15 years ago. L'artisan, with only a few exceptions, really has a stellar catalogue of interesting scents and has been consistently producing good ones for 30+ years. As well, I find them fairly priced compared to other niche houses and without a lot of the annoying hype/marketing nonsense.

Speaking of... I think I may wear Timbuktu today. I haven't spritzed it on in a while.

A few other ones you might try in the warmer weather: Bois Farine, Traversee du bosphore, L'eau de l'artisan, Mimosa pour moi.

shoewarma

Reaction score
One of my favorites and a "love at first sniff" when I tried it when it was released back 10-15 years ago. L'artisan, with only a few exceptions, really has a stellar catalogue of interesting scents and has been consistently producing good ones for 30+ years. As well, I find them fairly priced compared to other niche houses and without a lot of the annoying hype/marketing nonsense.

Speaking of... I think I may wear Timbuktu today. I haven't spritzed it on in a while.

A few other ones you might try in the warmer weather: Bois Farine, Traversee du bosphore, L'eau de l'artisan, Mimosa pour moi.
Yeah, the prices they go for on discounters are very fair for niche fragrances. I also got a decant of Traversee du Bosphore. I tried it on my hand the other day. It's pleasant, though I'm still not confident that it's for me. I really like the leather, iris, red apple, and pistachio combo. I thought Dior Homme was the definition of the makeup bag scent. Not until I smelled Traversee du Bosphore. I see this more suited for women, but I certainly appreciate it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have a lot of experience buying fragrances off eBay? I've never done it, largely because I find it sketchy since I don't know how the person stored the bottle. Are there stories of people getting bottles that have been stored in sunlight or something?

cc'ing @HORNS @L'Incandescent and @rach2jlc cause they have a lot of experience with fragrances, but would welcome anyone's input.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a lot of experience buying fragrances off eBay? I've never done it, largely because I find it sketchy since I don't know how the person stored the bottle. Are there stories of people getting bottles that have been stored in sunlight or something?

cc'ing @HORNS @L'Incandescent and @rach2jlc cause they have a lot of experience with fragrances, but would welcome anyone's input.
Have bought a few recently from sellers with excellent ratings without issue.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve bought a bunch of vintage stuff off of eBay. My latest was a bottle of the original formula of Eau Sauvage Parfum, with a heavy myrrh note. Prior to that I bought a bottle of Je Suis un Homme. I stick to stuff that is not very popular with the hope/expectation that they are unlikely to be forgeries. I’ll also just get unopened boxes and will just take a risk based on the low price I go for.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I hadn't even thought about counterfeits. I assume super niche fragrances don't get counterfeited, but how would you know if the scent hasn't been stored properly? I assume you'd check it against a sample? Or you just trust the process?

I've had a few samples go rotten from being stored in direct sunlight for a few days, which is why I ask.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it’s unopened, then I don’t worry about sunlight. I also look at where they’re selling from and will not buy from Texas because I know the conditions in the summertime.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

For me, I have a few different categories of ebay frag purchase, though really I only buy on ebay if it is cheap.

Like Hornsy said, if it's still sealed, then I'm fine. Or, if it is from a longtime seller with a history of positive feedback on fragrance purchases, I'm not too worried.

For others, it depends on just HOW cheap. If it is extraordinarily cheap and something I've wanted (and can't find elsewhere), I'll sometimes do a dice roller and take a chance. Usually this is for vintage frags.

SOTD: Think I'll do Vol du nuit (EdT). It's warm, but not super hot, and I find this one comes alive in dry/warm weather, especially the EdT or EdC.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hadn't even thought about counterfeits. I assume super niche fragrances don't get counterfeited, but how would you know if the scent hasn't been stored properly? I assume you'd check it against a sample? Or you just trust the process?

I've had a few samples go rotten from being stored in direct sunlight for a few days, which is why I ask.

If you want, with my promise to never ever poach from you, you can send me a link to what you're considering in the future and I can give you my thoughts. I've perused ebay for fragrances very often and can offer you my gut feeling, for whatever that is worth.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want, with my promise to never ever poach from you, you can send me a link to what you're considering in the future and I can give you my thoughts. I've perused ebay for fragrances very often and can offer you my gut feeling, for whatever that is worth.

I'm happy to do the same. :)

Today I'm thinking Eau de Guerlain... a nice "Eau" from the early 70's with a bright, sharp lemon. (this one I like better than the older Eau Imperiale or Eau de Coq)

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wedding day (yesterday) fragrance was Wit by Perfums Delrae.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads