• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
I got to try the new Orto Parasi Friday. It’s a mineral aquatic with woods and a soft spice you would associate with a fall/winter perfume. On fabric the base is very similar to Black Afgano, but not on skin. I like that the perfumer doesn’t release notes but it makes you susceptible to comparison to cheap perfume. Someone on fragrantica compared it to Curve by Liz Claiborne which I thought was funny.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My love/hate relationship with Creed is well documented, but the weather is getting warm enough to bring out two of my favorites of theirs (that I think still hold up well without all the dumb hype).

Neroli Sauvage and Royal Virgin Water. The former has a nice bitter orange note with some spice, and the latter is just fun and unstuffy in a way Creed usually isn't.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have been enjoying Nicolai Cedrat Intense this past week, with the weather being so hot here. It's back down in the 50s again so I put on my newest acquisition of Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum, a flanker that such a classic deserves.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a free sample of Ex Idolo's Love & Crime when I bought something else. Quite like it. Usually don't like gourmands but this smells like oranges, icing sugar and chocolate, and who doesn't like that? It smells all day long too because the longevity is impressive. The back story is silly (tired of all the contrived "stories" that all niche brands seem to use nowadays), but the craftmanship is solid. Possibly to cute to be a masculine though.

Anyone tried any of the other Ex Idolo's scents?

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Got a free sample of Ex Idolo's Love & Crime when I bought something else. Quite like it. Usually don't like gourmands but this smells like oranges, icing sugar and chocolate, and who doesn't like that? It smells all day long too because the longevity is impressive. The back story is silly (tired of all the contrived "stories" that all niche brands seem to use nowadays), but the craftmanship is solid. Possibly to cute to be a masculine though.

Anyone tried any of the other Ex Idolo's scents?
I have a sample of Ryder and it is a boozy woody perfume. The only think I don’t like about it is in my personal taste. I don’t like cedar and Ryder has a big note of it. Otherwise I’d probably be a fan of that one. A local barbershop carries them and im excited to try the rest of what they make.

In department stores locally Guerlain is down to the Art of Materials and Absolu D’Orient collections. I did see Vetiver and Imperiale Cologne at Saks. I can understand pushing the more expensive products but they don’t seem to care if the classics get new customers.

tcbinnc

Reaction score
Have recently been trying out a sampler of Maritime Deep Blue by Tommy Bahama and two women I know immediately identified I was wearing a different cologne and commented they liked it. Sorry I can't exactly describe the scent other than light and fresh but a bottle will likely be in my future.

Last edited:

Aquafortis

Reaction score
Just scored a vintage bottle of Guerlain's original Heritage EDT on Ebay. For $20 if it's gone flat it won't be a big loss. If not, it's such an amazing classic fall/winter frag, I'll be looking forward to revisiting.

And finally found a warm weather scent that I really like (since most citrus based frags either turn to crap on my skin after 30-minutes, or are just generic, aldehydic blah). Another Guerlain: L'Homme Ideal Cologne in the white bottle. Great longevity for a cologne concentration. Well deserved 4-stars from Luca Turin.

Aquafortis

Reaction score
I love Polo Blue this will always be my #1
11 years before Blue, RL released the original Cosmair formulation of Safari. That was the best warm weather frag I had come across up that point, and was living in Honolulu at the time. Although not listed in the official notes, in my scent memory I swear that Safari had a pineapple-like sub-note going on that was better and more elegant than Aventus.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
HOT and HUMID! Breaking out my Dior Eau Fraiche. One of the first "eau" fragrances (first made by Roudnitska in the early 1950's), and the basis of both Diorella and Eau Sauvage. Copied endlessly by everybody in the 1970's thru 1990's.

A wonderfully stinky citrus with lots of kick. Very, very short lived, so I apply liberally. I hate to use up my sacred vintage bottle... but it's too good NOT to use.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Byredo is launching a menswear line. Usually the other way around
They did some bags before, IIRC, which didn't impress me much, though I didn't get to give them a thorough RachReview. Does the market need more wannabe nichy-menswear labels? Seems like a weird vanity project to me.

Aquafortis

Reaction score
It was warm yesterday here as well and I tried Malle's Cologne Indelible for the first time. Within five minutes I could tell I was having a reaction to something in it and washed it off. Still, I ended up with a wicked headache that lasted a few hours. Don't know what's in that formulation that set me off, but very few frags have given me such a headache.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.