• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God, yes. Any folks who are into Mozart? Unfortunately, though, the current EdT is flabby without its oakmoss.

Today I wore Portrait of a Lady, which will stay strongly on me until tomorrow morning.

Love CPM. But to your point, I have been layering the vintage CPM, with its delish oakmoss base with a spritz or two of the modern. A re-creation of the original, with oakmoss and fresh topnotes.:slayer:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love CPM. But to your point, I have been layering the vintage CPM, with its delish oakmoss base with a spritz or two of the modern. A re-creation of the original, with oakmoss and fresh topnotes.:slayer:

Yeah, I have both and I will do that!

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
God, yes. Any folks who are into Mozart? Unfortunately, though, the current EdT is flabby without its oakmoss.

Today I wore Portrait of a Lady, which will stay strongly on me until tomorrow morning.

I remembered smelling that fabulous citrus with oakmoss opening ( am I correct to say that? ) only a few months ago from a tester at some non descript perfume fair.

but when i went to navigate the retail counters, their testers seem to fall real flat. I was wondering if any of you fragrance archivists/dinosaurs ( lol ) can help me navigate what's the closest to that CPM now.

I spy CPM EDT, and CPM EDP. And there is this concentree which a lot of folks say its a separate flanker.

I might be able to procure a vintage CPM pre IFRA oakmoss watering down. But I'm not sure if the citrus notes will still be there. Should it be layered like it was mentioned above?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tauer's L'Oudh again today. Still enjoying this one a lot.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EIGHT & BOB Champs De Provence today.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remembered smelling that fabulous citrus with oakmoss opening ( am I correct to say that? ) only a few months ago from a tester at some non descript perfume fair.

but when i went to navigate the retail counters, their testers seem to fall real flat. I was wondering if any of you fragrance archivists/dinosaurs ( lol ) can help me navigate what's the closest to that CPM now.

I spy CPM EDT, and CPM EDP. And there is this concentree which a lot of folks say its a separate flanker.

I might be able to procure a vintage CPM pre IFRA oakmoss watering down. But I'm not sure if the citrus notes will still be there. Should it be layered like it was mentioned above?
If you want that oakmoss base, you have to buy a vintage (many are available on eBay). But the topnotes are usually gone or weakened in the vintage. So the layering is a way to get the best of both worlds.

A somewhat similar experience (there are differences) would be Nicolai New York. A newer fragrance, NNY still has a bit of oakmoss, but with a full complement of topnotes. Not the same, but similar. Might try that one.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Celebrating the return (after 9 long months) of warm weather to my tiny patch of paradise.
So pulled out the summer scents, and am wearing this evening Guerlain Cologne du Parfumeur. Its an orange blossom and lemon EdC with a generous helping of green galbanum, for interest. If I didn't know better, I'd think someone snuck a few drops of oakmoss into the mix. Kind of a mash up of classic EdCs and lemon chypres.Simple and thoroughly enjoyable.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Carnal Flower for me today. It's a fantastic white floral, with the emphasis on tuberose.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oudh Infini by Dusita. This is an extremely animalic oud. There's supposed to be rose and orange blossom, but I don't get much of that. Just an overwhelmingly barnyardy oud.

EricBlackmann

Reaction score
Could someone recommend some scents?
I am looking for two colognes: one that is more Mediterranean and spring/summer, but that doesn't exude French Riviera so much as to make it revolting when worn on a rainy, 55 degree Fahrenheit, late Scottish spring day. And another that is suitable for both fall/winter wear and for evening wear year round.
I am fairly new to the world of scents, so I haven't developed a disposition towards any particular profile -- be it woods or floral or what not. I'm a student, so looking at the $40-$70 range (or will I need to go higher in order to avoid smelling cheap?).

Thanks much

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could someone recommend some scents?
I am looking for two colognes: one that is more Mediterranean and spring/summer, but that doesn't exude French Riviera so much as to make it revolting when worn on a rainy, 55 degree Fahrenheit, late Scottish spring day. And another that is suitable for both fall/winter wear and for evening wear year round.
I am fairly new to the world of scents, so I haven't developed a disposition towards any particular profile -- be it woods or floral or what not. I'm a student, so looking at the $40-$70 range (or will I need to go higher in order to avoid smelling cheap?).

Thanks much
Have sampled at all? Strongly recommend that you do so, rather than just buying a couple of random bottles and hoping for the best.
Check out Surrender to Chance, tons of samples, intelligently organized.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amouage Bracken Man today - I'm coming off a bad cold and I can't really smell very much so all I can say is that it feels like a relatively uncomplicated green fougere but I am probably missing all the subtleties.

Wearing this again today without the cold. There are a lot of spices in the opening and it's a lot less straightforward than I had thought. It's a very good fougere indeed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics