• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

TorontoJK

Reaction score
I think TdH is a modern classic. I actually enjoy Rocabar more, though. I haven't worn it since I finished my bottle a couple of years ago, but I just smelled it again this weekend at Neimans and I was reminded how much I liked it. I think Rocabar is the most overlooked scent in the Hermes lineup.
Well now I'm just going to feel compelled to visit the counter and reacquaint myself with Rocabar...just to see if I need it in my back pocket for future. Personally, I enjoy wearing a scent for a long time, so that people associate it with me (not my natural scent, haha) and so it has got to be something that I feel really good in. It takes a lot for me to consider changing, and as you go through different stages of life, different scents seem appropriate.

I have bought acqua de parma for my father more than once - in my opinion it's a distinguished scent but stays grounded, and pretty masculine. It's what I think an older man who's done well for himself but isn't ostentatious should smell like.

That being said, it's amazing how different one scent can smell when applied to different bodies - I would never think that just because something works for me then it will work on everyone.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rocabar has that melon note like Black Orchid?

I wore D'Eau Orange Verte for the day and Rocabar for the evening.

Will need to give OV another try but it seemed very light. Moreover, the opening reminded me a lot of D.R. Harris - Arlington (I think that one), which is cheaper.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think TdH is a modern classic. I actually enjoy Rocabar more, though. I haven't worn it since I finished my bottle a couple of years ago, but I just smelled it again this weekend at Neimans and I was reminded how much I liked it. I think Rocabar is the most overlooked scent in the Hermes lineup.

Well now I'm just going to feel compelled to visit the counter and reacquaint myself with Rocabar...just to see if I need it in my back pocket for future.  Personally, I enjoy wearing a scent for a long time, so that people associate it with me (not my natural scent, haha) and so it has got to be something that I feel really good in. It takes a lot for me to consider changing, and as you go through different stages of life, different scents seem appropriate.

I have bought acqua de parma for my father more than once - in my opinion it's a distinguished scent but stays grounded, and pretty masculine. It's what I think an older man who's done well for himself but isn't ostentatious should smell like.

That being said, it's amazing how different one scent can smell when applied to different bodies - I would never think that just because something works for me then it will work on everyone.

That assessment of Acqua di Parma is a good one and I'm probably going to get my Dad a bottle of Colonia Assoluta soon.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wear nothing else but Pehaligon's fragrances. Today I am wearing Quercos. I usually wear Blenheim/Quercus/ english fern in the mornings and Castile/Endymion/Hammam when out in the evenings.
My favourites are Blenheim, Quercus and Endymion

Why do you only wear Penhaligon's?

I've switched into Rouge Hermes for the evening.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This evening: Geranium Pour Monsieur.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yet again some great choices this week. Good work, fellas.

YSL RG edt for me today. The parfum and the EdT are quite close, though the EdT plays up the crispness, while the parfum plays up the floral and green base.

Overall, RG is weird, fresh, and bright... imagine the green of Chanel no. 19 blended with the aldehydic florals of no. 5, and a biting metallic note like something you'd expect from CdG.

It feels a bit dated today, I admit, but I just imagine how modern and WOW it must have felt back in 1970.

Last edited:

Dan e gee

Reaction score

Why do you only wear Penhaligon's?
I've switched into Rouge Hermes for the evening.

Simply because I like their fragrances. I also have a really good relationship with the manager of my local store in Islington.
He has always looked after me, so I repay him with my custom.
I love the shaving cream too.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Simply because I like their fragrances. I also have a really good relationship with the manager of my local store in Islington.
He has always looked after me, so I repay him with my custom.
I love the shaving cream too.

And have you tried other houses as well?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, today just felt like a Pour Monsieur day.

I'd read a comment from someone that chypres are kind of lonely scents - I'm not sure where he came up with that but I can certainly agree that a chypre such as PM doesn't really seek approval - or maybe there's a degree of grown-up self-sufficiency. Although if pressed to define 'approval-seeking' from a bottle of smelly liquid I run the risk of sounding really stupid.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well, today just felt like a Pour Monsieur day.
I'd read a comment from someone that chypres are kind of lonely scents - I'm not sure where he came up with that but I can certainly agree that a chypre such as PM doesn't really seek approval - or maybe there's a degree of grown-up self-sufficiency. Although if pressed to define 'approval-seeking' from a bottle of smelly liquid I run the risk of sounding really stupid.

That's fascinating! I've actually had a similar thought about chypres, although I've had in mind more classically feminine chypres. But I think the point stands either way. The philosopher Immanuel Kant described friendship as being subject to two opposing forces, love and respect. Love draws friends closer, but respect is important to help keep a proper distance. You should be close with your friends, but there's a limit. Chypres have always seemed to me like the respect part of the dynamic: they suggest a kind of distance that is not hostile, but just respectful.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

That's fascinating! I've actually had a similar thought about chypres, although I've had in mind more classically feminine chypres. But I think the point stands either way. The philosopher Immanuel Kant described friendship as being subject to two opposing forces, love and respect. Love draws friends closer, but respect is important to help keep a proper distance. You should be close with your friends, but there's a limit. Chypres have always seemed to me like the respect part of the dynamic: they suggest a kind of distance that is not hostile, but just respectful.

That makes sense, oddly enough. I've heard that some chypres (Mitsouko in particular) as being the kind of scent that makes you sit upright, or a chair in which you never rest your full weight. And Golconde (JAR) was described as bitchy and broad-shouldered (but I'm going off memory here), almost a bottled version of Joan Crawford.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Hermes Vetiver Tonka. Again.

I've got a bottle of vintage Mitsouko coming in the mail, which I'm excited to try. Of all the scents that I want as a perfume (Chanel Cuir de Russie, Jicky, etc) I'm very happy to have gotten this one above all. I'd like to hear you guys' experience with the parfum form.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads