1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Lubin Idole, boozey goodness. Projection seems to have dimmed down significantly into the afternoon but I am a pretty conservative sprayer so maybe up that a bit next time.

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

^^ ohhh, both lovely choices!

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: Sombre Negra.

4. Maquis

Maquis Senior member

Today: Vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme. Interesting—I find this to have elements of Comme des Garcons 2 Man, and Ulrich Lang Anvers 2. Only, two decades earlier and way less expensive. I like it...

I went to the Roja Dove counter at Bergdof's today and spent the better part of an hour going through almost the entire line. Absolutely beautiful work. I gravitate towards classical maximalist fragrances and Roja seems to be one of the only ones left making these kinds of big, baroque scents with an old-school vibe. I mean, Diaghilev? Come on—it's brilliant. Pretty much everything I smelled, except for a couple of the ouds, I found interesting, classic and perfectly balanced.

The prices are pretty ridiculous, though, especially for the extraits and the triple-strength Oud. I mean, 750 pounds (almost $1200) for a 100 ml bottle is wandering into Emir-only territory. (The bespoke service—which I was told costs around $40,000—pretty much *is* Emir-only territory...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  5. Maquis

Maquis Senior member

The notes on this sound really interesting:

"The emotional intensity of patchouli, vetiver and choya loban unearth deep mushroom notes, revealing sweet but unsentimental undertones of opoponax and tobacco. The diffused smokiness of pink and black pepper mingles with dry teak and cypress leaving an ephemeral illusion."

Wow, I'm in!

But...how does it match up to the sell copy? :)

6. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

TF Arabian Wood. As I've mentioned before, it took me quite a while to give this a try, but it is absolutely amazing. Easily among my top five favorite Private Blends.

7. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Anyone here tried Roja Fetish?

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I have a tester bottle around somewhere and find the drydown to be really special.

9. L'Incandescent

Yeah, that's just it. I'm actually not a huge fan of the top, which is sharp and green. But just as soon as it enters into the next phase, it's gorgeous.

10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Magnolia Nobile yesterday. What was I thinking?

I got in on a split of TF London yesterday, which is something to look forward to.

11. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Balenciaga pour homme, this morning. This stuff is a powerhouse that screams the 80's. Interesting stuff though glad I managed to catch a sample thanks to CD

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Wore Giorgio for Men last night and was transported all of a sudden, after having it on for a couple of hours, to the den of my grandparents and I was playing the Simon Says electronic game. "Why was that?" I thought, but it quickly came to me that one of my cousins got the game for Christmas while the grown men (my father, grandfather, and one of my uncles) always got a bottle of Giorgio for Men as a gift. I absolutely love olfactory moments like this and consider it one of the most magical things our brain does.

13. L'Incandescent

^^ That is fascinating!

This is really different, but just this morning I found myself having a very vivid olfactory image. Olfactory images are so strange, because I feel like I'm smelling something, but of course I'm not. Visual images are the same way, of course, but they don't seem weird, I think because they're more common. Anyway, I was having this vivid experience, and the fragrance I was smelling was Body Kouros. I don't particularly like Body Kouros, and I have no idea at all why out of nowhere I got such a strong image of it.

I'm wearing TF Rive d'Ambre today.

@CD: I can't wait to hear your impressions of London.

14. Maquis

Maquis Senior member

Yeah, I find it's best to go easy with this. One spray or so is more than enough...

Continuing with the 80s frags, I wore Patou pour Homme today.

15. California Dreamer

Very much stoked; I just picked up a bottle of Frapin 1697 on eBay. Virtually new, sprayed once. $80.

I also managed to grab a bottle of CdG Play Red, which should make a nice companion to the Green I got a while ago.

16. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Grats, good find and good juice.

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I have a sample of Amouage Gold Man that I used on my arm last night and once again had to scrub it off. Jesus, what a revolting "fragrance" - last night I was patient and got to the dry down after several hours and got this strong ammonia smell that is very similar to rotting fish. Good God, why?

18. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Last night I wore PdN NY again and once again I was really really impressed. Even smelled great loud and clear the next morning before showering. And considering it comes in 30ml bottles, I think I might very well pick one up! I do have Heritage already, and so I guess this would be my alternative to Habit Rouge?

19. L'Incandescent

Amyris Homme for me today. Out of the blue, I got a strong olfactory image of this, so I thought what the heck, I'll make it my SOTD (Scent of the Day).

20. California Dreamer

Today I am wearing Chanel Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne