Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Just out of curiosity Rach what do you like out of Parfum d'Empire, Montale, TDC, and Comme des Garcons?
    I've not kept up with them in the past 2 years or so, so they may have added new ones I don't know. Parfum d'empire, I found both Ambre Russe and Cuir d'ottoman both to be wonderful for their "types;" a thick, luxurious amber and a foul, bitter, but very elegant leather. TDC... basically everything they make. Rose Poivree, Jasmine de nuit, sel de vetiver, bois d'iris, osmanthus... Montale: All the "classic" aouds, patchouli leaves, greyland, chypre vanille, orient extreme and sweet oriental dream, vanille absolu. Fougeres Marines and Embruns d'essaouira were both pretty boring/lackluster. CdG, several of their series, of course Red, Incense, but also the "Cologne" series. Vettiveru and Citrico were a lot of fun. Anbar, too warmed up wonderfully with body heat. Odeur 53, IIRC, which smelled like rubber and butter, was a no-go. (haha) These were just the ones that popped into mind.
    I like the Lutens florals. Rose du Nuit is really fantastic. The heavy orientals are so big and sticky sweet it's a bit much to wear them. Then again, I like Borneo, and MKK, and Ambre Sultan is nice in small doses, so it's hard to generalize.
    Good point. Though, if I'm on fragrance no. 7 or 8 from a house and haven't had ONE yet that's really hit with me... I usually don't feel too bad about generalizing. [​IMG]

2. loveswatching

loveswatching Senior member

Montale black aoud.. Thanks to boo who hooked it up.

3. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

no kidding. years and years ago I found an old book store that was selling back issues of playboy, so I'd go by, chat up the old lady who owned the place, and buy them here and there. When she went out of business, I swooped down and wound up with box-loads. Eventually I paired up with a girlfriend and jettisoned the bulk of them.

inconsequential story #2 - In college I had a subscription (89-93). Eventually I bought something off the playboy catalog and let my subscription lapse. Playboy was kind enough to give me a one-year complimentary subscription for my devoted patronage of years past. I think this was '96 or so and I had already moved out of my parents' house. Anyway, I don't know what happened, but they're still sending them. To my parents' house.

Well, that's nice for your pops then [​IMG]

4. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good point. Though, if I'm on fragrance no. 7 or 8 from a house and haven't had ONE yet that's really hit with me... I usually don't feel too bad about generalizing. [​IMG]

Well, I'll agree with you that I'm not a big fan of their style in general, or at least I don't want to own or wear almost any of them. On the other hand, when I went to Paris I really was happy to visit the shop and smell all of the exclusive scent. I find them all interesting to sample if not to wear.

5. Dane

Dane Senior member

Lutens has some great scents...but if you take into account the number of scents in his library, there are more misses than hits.

I, for one, could not live without Iris Silver Mist, even though I almost never wear it. I just like to have it around. El Attarine would be my other fav.

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well, I'll agree with you that I'm not a big fan of their style in general, or at least I don't want to own or wear almost any of them. On the other hand, when I went to Paris I really was happy to visit the shop and smell all of the exclusive scent. I find them all interesting to sample if not to wear.
    Lutens has some great scents...but if you take into account the number of scents in his library, there are more misses than hits. I, for one, could not live without Iris Silver Mist, even though I almost never wear it. I just like to have it around. El Attarine would be my other fav.
    See, that's the real problem with Lutens. All the good shit is holed up in the Paris boutique. I've never even heard of the two Dane mentioned before now. MKK only came to the American market recently as well.

7. CologneReview

CologneReview Senior member

My SOTD: Terre D'Hermes. Snow/Ice/Rain mess here today, and this one is just perfect in damp weather.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, all that Lutens talk reminded me I have a bottle of Chergui in the back of a drawer somewhere. So...Chergui on a damp, foggy, cool morning.

9. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Jules today, on another summery day in L.A.

10. Dane

Dane Senior member

See, that's the real problem with Lutens. All the good shit is holed up in the Paris boutique. I've never even heard of the two Dane mentioned before now. MKK only came to the American market recently as well.

There are SOO many..but yes, most of the good stuff is in the "exclusive" line. Hopefully they'll add some of the good stuff to the ltd. ed.'s in the future.

Wearing LL Patchouli 24 oil again today. [​IMG]

11. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Eau d'Hermes. I've had a bottle of this for about two and a half years now, and I love it just as much today as the first time I tried it. I never get bored with it.

12. Dane

Dane Senior member

Eau d'Hermes. I've had a bottle of this for about two and a half years now, and I love it just as much today as the first time I tried it. I never get bored with it.

Love this one...but the recent formulation seems to be lacking quite a bit, and clearly has Jean Claude Ellena's signature on it. If I wanted an Ellena cuminfest, I'd go with Declaration. Oh well. [​IMG]

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

lol, I just read cumin-fest as cum-in-fest and had some rather disturbing images of a late night empty warehouse and ellena putting his 'signature' into one of the maceration tanks.

today GIT

14. Dane

Dane Senior member

lol, I just read cumin-fest as cum-in-fest and had some rather disturbing images of a late night empty warehouse and ellena putting his 'signature' into one of the maceration tanks.

today GIT

Everyone knows that Ellena's "signature" smells like Iso E Super. [​IMG]

15. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

My "signature" smells more like bleach. I guess that's why I'm not a famous perfumer? :/