1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today I'm wearing Lampblack.

2. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Executive Style is a continual source of sartorial advice (not) for Australian members. This gem from the Telegraph, London comes from ]15 lessons a man should have learned by age 30

11. Have a signature aftershave
    Aftershave is one of those things you can never really buy for yourself. It's a birthday present from your mum or a Christmas gift from your godmother. Maybe you'll get some for Valentine's Day. Make it easier for everyone, then: stick to one scent.

Today Grey Flannel EDT

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  3. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Pre-shower: Amouage Gold. I've never been able to get into this one. It's an old-school, elegant feminine powdery floral.
    SOTD: The Night. I enjoy this a lot, but there's no way I'm buying a whole bottle. It is a very barnyardy oud with an absolutely beautiful rose that emerges later in the drydown.

4. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Yes! It was very strong but yet it was hard to smell. Weird. There's something odd about it. I even put a little extra on and couldn't really get the scent. People said that they could smell it on me though.

5. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Here's a very good write-up on Iso E Super, which is consistent with what Master-Classter said about an isomer, but maybe not exactly. I do know that people get olfactory fatigue of Iso E Super very quickly, and that's why people can smell it a mile away and late in the day while what you put on has been an afterthought for hours up to that point.

http://www.fragrantica.com/news/The-History-of-Iso-E-Super-in-Perfumery-7729.html

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Nice writeup! I got lost in some of the chemistry there but the overall point I got was that it's more of a compound than a single molecule and there are various versions of it. And it seems to be in many fragrances, in some cases at very high doses.

8. crdb

crdb Senior member

MFK Pluriel Masculin today. A clean lavender fougere, supposedly with high quality ingredients. I quite like it.

It is a little bit like going bespoke. Should you take the opportunity to try an interesting cloth from Loro Piana or Dormeuil, or stick with a classic, low-number worsted in charcoal or navy you'll actually wear every day? Amouage is like a custom tweed; I love wearing it, I love it when others do it, but the opportunities to wear it are few and far between; and this MFK is like the safe (or boring) choice of a well made charcoal worsted.

In the same vein, has anyone tried Boellis' Panama 1924?

9. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I read that and thought it was bollocks. When I look at all the fragrances I have, wearing just one all the time would be a boring waste. Just as we wouldn't wear the same outfit to work every day, I reckon we should think about wearing different fragrances to round off our outfit and mood.

10. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

My favorite today, TF Bois Marocain. [​IMG]

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

There's a lot of people who think that one should have a signature scent, including people like Frederic Malle. I get it and actually appreciate this concept being implemented by people close to me, but there lies the heart of the issue for me - a signature scent seems to be good for those around the person and not necessarily for the benefit of the wearer themselves.

Today I'm wearing Diptyque L'Eau de L'Eau.

12. Master-Classter

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that people who like wearing new fragrances are generally more open to new experiences and enjoy taking on the perspectives of another personality, meaning I'd assume most of us have an artistic side and are 'emotionally intelligent' or at least rather emotionally active.

1 person likes this.
  13. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Agree it never ceases to amuse and amaze me the advice peddled by 'Sartorial Experts'[​IMG] As for a signature scent I would say Eau Sauvage would be mine seeing I've used it for over 30 years. But not every day of the week or all year round for that matter. My boss at The Treasury used to wear Fahrenheit every day without fail, sorry but it reminds me of mosquito repellent.

Today P Frapin & Cie 1270 not sure whether to wear it or drink it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  14. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

Trying Slumberhouse Sova again since i found it so bizarre and repellent before. Today it's doing better. I'm mostly noticing its drying tobacco smell and nothing else, and that's been good so far.

15. L'Incandescent

Pre-shower: TF Lavender Palm. I haven't worn this in quite a while. It's never been among my favorites in the TF lineup. It's a sharp lavender with a strangely sweet musk in the base.
    SOTD: Moon Aoud.

16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'm glad I have a bottle of Lavender Palm.

17. Master-Classter

I've smelled Sova a few times and have a sample. All I get from it is syrupy dried fruit/prunes and old bananas etc. I found it WAY too thick and rich for my tastes. Interesting and a bit innovative, I'll give it that but I didn't find it too wearable.

18. L'Incandescent

SOTE is Fumerie Turque. It's a sweet honey and tobacco scent. Sometimes I love it and sometimes I find it so-so. I am loving it tonight.

19. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Lonestar Memories. Great outdoorsy scent, this one. Now that football season is on, I'm on the hunt for the perfect football frag. I'm thinking leather (of course), green for the MCG grass, and maybe some kind of sweaty note. LM went close, but maybe a bit too outback and BBQ in feel for the Members' Stand.

20. crdb

crdb Senior member

Lalique Encre Noire. Can't decide if I love it or hate it. Switches between a cypress hedge and dry roasted oats for me. Between being uplifting and sickening despite its dryness. The bottle is amazing - perhaps my favorite mainstream bottle ever.

Bvlgari Black (the original, not MIB). Probably the first vanilla drydown I sort of enjoy. Genius to match it with lapsang souchong, which cuts right through the cloying sweetness of vanillin. I do, however, struggle justifying wearing this more often than a couple times a quarter; it is as unique and recognizable as a bright purple grenadine grossa tie.

Cartier Declaration Essence: I didn't get this one until a couple hours in. It becomes a smoky, dry, woody wonder, like burning pine wood, unlike the original Declaration which fizzed out quietly. I think the Amouage Epic/Jubilation XXV fans would like this.

These bottles are so cheap nowadays, it's almost worth buying them instead of samplers...