• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scarves

bsyde82

Reaction score
I've never worn a scarf before but I'm thinking about purchasing one now and makin it a mainstay accessory. most likely a plain grey cotton/wool scarf that can go with pretty much everything...i really liked the nicole farhi one on oak nyc, but its sold out :-(

since im a scarf noob....what are the do's and don'ts with scarves? specifically...does a scarf work with just a long sleeve button up for instance? and any scarf suggestions would be much appreciated

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like scarves so I wear them a lot when the temperature dips. Don't limit them to long sleeve button ups. I also wear them with sweaters and cardigans.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've become a growing part of my wardrobe recently too. Sometimes its just to add color to my black/grey/brown jackets... my favorite is houndstooth scarf that I saw at Nordstroms for $75... I waited for months and finally got it from The Rack for $20 Dig through some of the older WAYWT for some ideas. Sauce has some great photos of summer scarves being worn with tshirts or short sleeves. SuperBobo and jpgm also have some nice photos too. I usually wear mine with coats, just thrown around the outside of the collar if it's not too cold and I'm wearing the coat open (think generic overcoat-with-scarf-business-guy-in-the-city). Around the inside - crossed over itself if I'm wearing the coat closed or if I'm not wearing I coat just wrapped around my neck Here are a few ideas http://www.mensflair.com/style-advic...ying-guide.php

bapelolol

Reaction score
what's up with scarf material

rayon, lambswool, merino wool,viscose

i know acryllic is bad

Dill

Reaction score
It doesn't matter as long as it costs over 400 dollars.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a lot of scarfes. right now a brown linen, white/beige cotton and a brown/purpelish in some really thin cotton/poly mix. For winter I have several wool ones, brown, green and wine are my favourites. Now I mostly wear em with crewnecks, but fall/winter I wear them with everything.. thats more for warmth though.

keykoo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason all the scarves I own are from Paul Smith... D:

And I love them.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bapelolol
what's up with scarf material

rayon, lambswool, merino wool,viscose

i know acryllic is bad

wool, linen or cotton is the way to go. The first is warm, linen works in higher temperature, and cottons has a nice wrinkly effect. No synthetic fibres, thank you.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I've got a few,

-margiela wool three tone (black, dark blue, charcoal)
-raf simons black/silver wool
-banana republic cashmere frost color think knit
-alex mcqueen silk mini heart print
-hm purple/black block stripe

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a couple of paul smith
1 etro (paisley 200 on sale)
a coach one
j lindberg--this one is my favorite

im pretty sure theyre all wool or cashmere or a combination

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Another one of my favorite things about living in NYC aside from coats is being able to use scarves.
To have a strong arsenal you should have at least a solid color cashmere (don't skimp out), a wool or cash in a bold design, something slinky/slim and a tapestry silk scarf.

bottegaplaid.jpg

Cloak.jpg

YSLscarf.jpg

pics005.jpg

wafflescarf.jpg

purch001.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics