• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sawyer of Napa shearling

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I picked this up today and was curious as to what I had. It's a Neiman labeled Sawyer of Napa suede shearling. I found this post mentioning them.

p1011850yo7.jpg

p1011852ns9.jpg

p1011851ky6.jpg

My usually reliable shearling expert had little information.
marchal.gif

spence

Reaction score
Can't say, but as it's way to small for me I'd say it looks like a very nice coat
wink.gif

-spence

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are no longer in business, at least I dont' believe so. I'm guessing you picked it up used? Nice quality stuff. We carried them way back and I have run across a few pieces that are 10+ years old customers still have and love.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I think i'm confusing some stuff here so will get my facts straight tomorrow but Nappa was bought by Lone Pine Leather, or they used to make for Talbott. I can't remember which one is true if either but can find out tomorrow for sure or hopefully antoher member knows.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Any luck finding out anything?

A few years back, I purchased a full length Sawyer shearling for Mrs. FC from a little boutique (don't recall the name). So, I searched for them on the web and found this URL http://www.sawyerofnapa.com/ and an actual Sawyer website at the time.

Linking today from my saved favorites only forwards to the EMC International Outerware website homepage. None of the menu links makes mention of the Sawyer name.

harrycoverts

Reaction score
I formerly sold Sawyer of Napa outerwear for years in Upstate New York. Sawyer shearlings were generally considered the best domestic maker of shearling coats. Company was in business from the late-1800's to their demise in the early 1990's. They were located on Coombs Street in Napa, CA (tanneries, production area, warehouses, ofices...buildings are still standing, but are now parceled out office space). The EPA (and other special interest groups), along with rising manufacturing costs, finally killed them off due to the chemicals/wastes resulting from the leather tanning process.

The company tried to adjust by sourcing off-shore tanned hides and emphasizing lambskin jackets and coats (non-shearling), made in Korea. This staved off the inevitable for a few years, until their California plant closed and their machinery was sold and exported to India.

The name has changed hands and is dusted off every so often by one firm or another, but the coats are not US-produced; they are not the genuine item that was produced in Northern California.

You can spot a Sawyer pretty easily, as they used larger, higher quality pelts (California Spring Lamb...big panels/less seams), high quality stitching (not this wrapped stitch crap that is a telltale sign of many imports), horn buttons (though many accounts opted to use leather or plastic buttons). Not a stiff coat, but usually a bit heavier shearling than what today's tastes dictate. If you like old school shearlings, you can't do better. Often found on e-bay for a song.

If anyone has any questions on their coats prior to an e-bay bid, feel free to pm me...I'd be happy to help. I'm pretty familiar with their line and still wear them.

Regards,

harrycoverts

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
I have one of these. It's actually dark brown w/fur lining as well.

Retail was 2500. I bought it for 400 on super clearance.

Beautiful construction and quality. Even the pocket linings were soft
leather. I NEVER put my keys in the pockets (in fear of scratching it up).

omegaman

Reaction score
Best in the business in the 80's. Nobody touched em till the Canadians stormed in. The Italian ones were always too expensive back then. Sawyers were domestic.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Thanks for the further information. I'm actually in a climate now where I can wear it this winter.

Wow.

Looks like the midwest is working out for you!

britastar

Reaction score
Hello..Nice forum.

I am hoping someone can tell me what to expect to sell a Saks labeled Sawyer of Napa 3/4 length wool shearling coat. It's definitely a "vintage" coat, but it is still in fantastic shape!

I'll post a pic.

Thanks,
b'star...

Jeff James

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harrycoverts
I formerly sold Sawyer of Napa outerwear for years in Upstate New York. Sawyer shearlings were generally considered the best domestic maker of shearling coats. Company was in business from the late-1800's to their demise in the early 1990's. They were located on Coombs Street in Napa, CA (tanneries, production area, warehouses, ofices...buildings are still standing, but are now parceled out office space). The EPA (and other special interest groups), along with rising manufacturing costs, finally killed them off due to the chemicals/wastes resulting from the leather tanning process.

The company tried to adjust by sourcing off-shore tanned hides and emphasizing lambskin jackets and coats (non-shearling), made in Korea. This staved off the inevitable for a few years, until their California plant closed and their machinery was sold and exported to India.

The name has changed hands and is dusted off every so often by one firm or another, but the coats are not US-produced; they are not the genuine item that was produced in Northern California.

You can spot a Sawyer pretty easily, as they used larger, higher quality pelts (California Spring Lamb...big panels/less seams), high quality stitching (not this wrapped stitch crap that is a telltale sign of many imports), horn buttons (though many accounts opted to use leather or plastic buttons). Not a stiff coat, but usually a bit heavier shearling than what today's tastes dictate. If you like old school shearlings, you can't do better. Often found on e-bay for a song.

If anyone has any questions on their coats prior to an e-bay bid, feel free to pm me...I'd be happy to help. I'm pretty familiar with their line and still wear them.

Regards,

harrycoverts

Hi Could you tell me if a XL is very large I would normally take a size large suit i.e 40" - 42" Jacket European size?I have a chance of purchasing a Sheepskin coat from,the sleeve measurement is 26" from top of sleeve to cuff.

Many thanks
Jeff

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads