• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sartorial quandary, advice would be appreciated!

Louis Forde

Reaction score
Evening chaps,

I find myself faced with a sartorial quandary and would appreciate some impartial advice.

I have recently finished my postgraduate studies and am due to begin training for a job which I'll begin in September. The guidance which I've received from my to-be employer states that I have to wear "professional dress" throughout the training process, which begins in a couple of weeks time.

This poses something of a problem. For the most part, I have lived and worked in cooler climates during the winter months before jetting out to the Mediterranean where I spend most of my summers (teaching in an international school). Hence, my lifestyle has exerted a strong influence on the composition of my wardrobe. Much of my tailoring is well suited to the winter months, but is utterly inappropriate for the summer when I graduate to chinos and button down shirts.

This year, it seems that I am faced with a problem. Indeed I interpret "professional dress" as suit and tie. Whilst I have a couple of blazers and a rather casual beige suit; none of this lines up with the image exuded by the institution which I'm joining. In 'normal' circumstances, I'd scrape my money together and splash out on a good quality suit. However this year, having funded an MA whilst scraping money together so that I can set up a home with my fiancé, I'm rather short of money.

Whilst I'm keeping my eye open for eBay or Charity Shop bargains, thus far nothing has presented itself meaning that I may well have to consider buying something new. My budget is really rather limited and cannot exceed about £100. What high street stores (In the UK) would you recommend buying from? Are there any outlets or online stores that I'm missing out on?

All advice and suggestions would be really appreciated.

Best,

Louis

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening chaps,

I find myself faced with a sartorial quandary and would appreciate some impartial advice.

I have recently finished my postgraduate studies and am due to begin training for a job which I'll begin in September. The guidance which I've received from my to-be employer states that I have to wear "professional dress" throughout the training process, which begins in a couple of weeks time.

This poses something of a problem. For the most part, I have lived and worked in cooler climates during the winter months before jetting out to the Mediterranean where I spend most of my summers (teaching in an international school). Hence, my lifestyle has exerted a strong influence on the composition of my wardrobe. Much of my tailoring is well suited to the winter months, but is utterly inappropriate for the summer when I graduate to chinos and button down shirts.

This year, it seems that I am faced with a problem. Indeed I interpret "professional dress" as suit and tie. Whilst I have a couple of blazers and a rather casual beige suit; none of this lines up with the image exuded by the institution which I'm joining. In 'normal' circumstances, I'd scrape my money together and splash out on a good quality suit. However this year, having funded an MA whilst scraping money together so that I can set up a home with my fiancé, I'm rather short of money.

Whilst I'm keeping my eye open for eBay or Charity Shop bargains, thus far nothing has presented itself meaning that I may well have to consider buying something new. My budget is really rather limited and cannot exceed about £100. What high street stores (In the UK) would you recommend buying from? Are there any outlets or online stores that I'm missing out on?

All advice and suggestions would be really appreciated.

Best,

Louis

I am moving this to Menswear Advice, where it may get some better looks and more focused advice.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a budget of 100, I would think that your best bet is to hit the thrift stores hard, everyday until you find something that fits close then use the rest of your budget for alterations to make it fit great. Not sure what type of stores you have in your part of the world but here in the US, even the "cheap" places for new modern menswear like H&M would be over that budget for a new suit.
Good luck!

Louis Forde

Reaction score
Thanks for your response! This is exactly what I did, wanting to avoid buying a cheap suit (as i did when I was somewhat younger). Yesterday, in West London, I struck gold!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads