• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni (Non-hand grade) Shoes

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the record, Santoni does make GY-welted shoes. I feel there's a huge difference in quality and styling between the different lines Santoni is offering in the US and Europe. I've seen awesome pairs that can easily match C&J and better shoes, I've also seen mediocre pairs that didn't impress me in any way. So it's hard to tell whether it's a good deal or not.

I am very happy with the pairs I own, quality wise I can't complain. Mine are blakes with the orange color inside. I cannot compare them with AE/Peal/Alden though. I can post some pics if interested.

I'd LOVE to see some pics, friend! I'm a HUGE Santoni fan. NOT all their models, but when they try to make a great shoe, they DO!

I'm most into their LtD Edition Norvegese & Bentivegna shoes, of which I am an absolute addict.

IMG_9759.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

IMG_9763.jpg

IMG_9767.jpg

IMG_9112.jpg

IMG_9117.jpg

IMG_9118.jpg

IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9028.jpg

IMG_9033.jpg

IMG_9037.jpg

IMG_9041.jpg

But even at the Goodyear level, the handwork is extremely nice. Great antiquing, and extremely well constructed...

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

Last edited:

fss

Reaction score

I'd LOVE to see some pics, friend! I'm a HUGE Santoni fan. NOT all their models, but when they try to make a great shoe, they DO!

Mine are a different kind, not for every taste, but I love them.

New/one year old. Loud patina, I know :)
2wd51zc.jpg

280yyq.jpg

Almost 5 years old (and in need of a good polish).
noxa52.jpg

I also have a derby-pair, but don't have pics at the moment.

Last edited:

fss

Reaction score

^^^ Love 'em; what models are they?

Thank you. Those are called 6313 (first one) and 6519 (second one). I also have a 7415 derby, as you can see below, the bottom row left (I added a picture of my current collection).

esmhbs.jpg

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the Santoni Jadwin double monk recently. I'm not too snobby on my shoes so I can't tell you diddly about construction, but I've worn them 3 times now and love them. I bought a half-size smaller and the fit is great.

Achillus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Love 'em; what models are they?

Thank you. Those are called 6313 (first one) and 6519 (second one). I also have a 7415 derby, as you can see below, the bottom row left (I added a picture of my current collection).

esmhbs.jpg
Wonderfull collection.

I have 2 pairs of Santoni shoes.

One suede brown monks.
And one cognac shoe.

Last edited:

fss

Reaction score
Those are Magnanni 11005 double monks. I love how they look, the quality is less impressive. Then again, I picked them up in a sale for less than $150 so I can't really complain :)

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
isshinryu101, those are some really, really nice shoes. Those are some pretty conservative looking Santonis though, don't see them like that often in shoe stores. Usually they are much wilder in colour.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

isshinryu101, those are some really, really nice shoes. Those are some pretty conservative looking Santonis though, don't see them like that often in shoe stores. Usually they are much wilder in colour.

I know EXACTLY what you mean, friend. Santoni has 2 "personalities" it seems. The first is the "fashion forward" styles that tend to be more over-the-top, with sometimes overdone styles & colors. The other is the "bread & butter" stuff. Traditional styles done the "Santoni way". Nordstrom has always stocked both types.

bobbers

Reaction score
I have two pairs of non-handgrade Santoni. From the Classic line, with a tan sock liner. I like them; they seem to fit me well. I keep an eye out for them whenever I go to the Rack, though slim pickings lately as the finds are on a last too narrow for me. If they fit you well and are your style go for it, but pass otherwise.

Santoni Jensen, about 2 years old, $100 at Nordstrom Rack

Santoni Bristol, about 3 years old, purchased from eBay likely flipped from the Rack

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this debate really ends with your stylistic preferences. The quality of construction between the two is similar--I would say that the method of construction is more 'reliable' in the AEs, however. It really just comes down to whether you want a more conservative or 'edgy' look.

Personally, I would say just save the money and buy some AS's, C&Js or Carminas, or even Aldens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads