Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Santoni (Non-hand grade) Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by magogian12345, Jul 24, 2011.

1. magogian12345

magogian12345 Senior member

Hey all,

My local Nortdstrom rack has a number of Santoni shoes (not handgrade but with leather soles) for $190 a pop (retail was $420). They seem to fit comfortably. Most of my current shoes are AE/Peal/Alden. Are these comporable and worth it at that price?

Thanks

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

they are more stylish than the shoes you currently are wearing (by that I mean more fashion forward), but you may be seeing some corrected grain on some models.

I'd rather stick with AE

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

To my knowledge Santoni does not make any glued shoes. All are Blake, Bolognia or Moccasin construction.

All of these are quality constructions that result in a durable shoe. They are NOT as thick soled, nor will they stand up to very hard, wet wear as your Allen Edmonds however. Because they are not Goodyear welted. They also will be softer, more pliable and slightly lighter weight.

But if you keep these shoes resoled you will find they should be durable - probably plenty durable for a shoe that is going to go out of style in 5 years or so.

It's up to you to decide if these differences are important to you.

Personally I don't Santoni makes a shoe that isn't worth the sale price you mentioned if you like the style. And when buying 'stylish' shoes I don't like to invest in a shoe meant to last forever. 'Cuz I'm don't intend to wear them forever.

4. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Santoni everyday. I'm big fan of this Italian brand. But the got alot of average models too. It really depends on what kind of shoes your hunting on.

5. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

I also find this to be true for Santoni shoes that retail for less than $500. Santoni does make some shoes that are not thin soled and can stand up to hard and wet wear. The construction is much better than AE, but the retail is much more than $500.

6. jqmunro

jqmunro Well-Known Member

My problem with AE's is that they look too stubby and wide. With that said, a lot of Italian shoes take it to the other extreme being too long and narrow.

What are a few good lines that take the middle road?

7. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Some models of Crockett & Jones.

8. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Have not found that to be the case overall, although I will admit that santoni's upper stitching is more even

9. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

AE Can't compare to Santoni. Even Santoni's lowest line shoes are superior. They DO retail for more, though.

AE definitely uses corrected grain leather on many of their models now.

10. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

Just got these of eBay for a wonderful price, most likely because they are 13Bs. They are thin soled and delicate in an awesome Italian loafer kind of way. Big fan.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

11. david123

david123 Senior member

I bought a pair of Santoni suede ankle boots off ebay and they are very well constructed and seem extremely durable. I wouldn't worry too much, although I'd also guess that for comparable shoe types, AE will last longer.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

we are going to agree to disagree.

13. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

I wonder why.

I have never understood exactly what this saying means. Is it necessary for one to agree that a disagreement exists? Seems like a waste of emotion. Anyway, what's your frame of reference? Have you owned many pairs of each brand and can make an educated guess based on hands-on experience?

14. fss

fss Well-Known Member

For the record, Santoni does make GY-welted shoes. I feel there's a huge difference in quality and styling between the different lines Santoni is offering in the US and Europe. I've seen awesome pairs that can easily match C&J and better shoes, I've also seen mediocre pairs that didn't impress me in any way. So it's hard to tell whether it's a good deal or not.

I am very happy with the pairs I own, quality wise I can't complain. Mine are blakes with the orange color inside. I cannot compare them with AE/Peal/Alden though. I can post some pics if interested.