• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samuelsohn MTM vs Coppley MTM

JSWBAR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stat1
Thansk for you help. Was this recent? Someone told me that their newer stuff mught be fully canvased. Thanks.

It was around December 20th, I don't think they've added anything in the meantime. Do be aware that there is a difference between the Saturday-to-Saturday program and the regular MTM program with Coppley. They don't really make the difference between Accumeasure (Saturday-to-Saturday) and "Full" MTM clear, but it seems like if you're harder to fit you may want the full program. Their customer service is fairly helpful; I'd recommend giving them a call to clarify the issue.

stat1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JSWBAR
It was around December 20th, I don't think they've added anything in the meantime. Do be aware that there is a difference between the Saturday-to-Saturday program and the regular MTM program with Coppley. They don't really make the difference between Accumeasure (Saturday-to-Saturday) and "Full" MTM clear, but it seems like if you're harder to fit you may want the full program. Their customer service is fairly helpful; I'd recommend giving them a call to clarify the issue.

I'll try that. Thanks again.

japhi

Reaction score
I can't seem to fit OTR so I buy a few MTM Coppley suits every February - I'm very happy with the quality. The oldest one probably has 75 days on it and still looks great.

I think the key to MTM is having a good sales person that can spend some time going through fabrics and measuring you for the right fit. I don't have great taste and my Harry's rep will tell me if a fabric isn't the best quality, and recommend something with a better hand.

As for a one week turn, mine seem to take 4-5 weeks.

stat1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by japhi
I can't seem to fit OTR so I buy a few MTM Coppley suits every February - I'm very happy with the quality. The oldest one probably has 75 days on it and still looks great.

I think the key to MTM is having a good sales person that can spend some time going through fabrics and measuring you for the right fit. I don't have great taste and my Harry's rep will tell me if a fabric isn't the best quality, and recommend something with a better hand.

As for a one week turn, mine seem to take 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for your help. I'll have to check with the rep to see how fast they can turn it around. I was quoted 4 weeks for Samuelsohn and 12 days for Coppley.

oilers

Reaction score
I know both products well, so I will offer my advice.

Samuelsohn and Coppley both make great garments for their price. I have probably 10 MTM garments in both Coppley and Samuelsohn. Samuelsohn is a much better made garment due to its canvassing and many different fits. Samuelsohn has two new fits out known as the Geo and the Arno. The Geo is a more modern fitting suit with a 7 inch drop, shorter body, narrower lapel and French facing interior. The Arno I find is a similar cut to a Canali 13220 body which is what Canali has been producing for years. IMO the Samuelsohn is worth the extra price, I have sold off many of my Coppley MTMs (I know an individual the same size as me) and continue to keep my Samuelsohns. In addition, Samuelsohn produces suits for Paul Stuart in NYC which is a very popular sartorial store down there so that tells you something about their product.

Cheers.

stat1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oilers
I know both products well, so I will offer my advice.

Samuelsohn and Coppley both make great garments for their price. I have probably 10 MTM garments in both Coppley and Samuelsohn. Samuelsohn is a much better made garment due to its canvassing and many different fits. Samuelsohn has two new fits out known as the Geo and the Arno. The Geo is a more modern fitting suit with a 7 inch drop, shorter body, narrower lapel and French facing interior. The Arno I find is a similar cut to a Canali 13220 body which is what Canali has been producing for years. IMO the Samuelsohn is worth the extra price, I have sold off many of my Coppley MTMs (I know an individual the same size as me) and continue to keep my Samuelsohns. In addition, Samuelsohn produces suits for Paul Stuart in NYC which is a very popular sartorial store down there so that tells you something about their product.

Cheers.

Thank you for replying to my post. The shop that I am dealing with basically only spoke of two models the Alton and the Gable. They said there was nothing else, which from what I have been reading is incorrect. Could you give me some additional information on their current models? I feel like some of the models I have read from threads here are outdated and no longer made. Additionally, if you could comment on the level of customization and price points that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stat1
Thank you for replying to my post. The shop that I am dealing with basically only spoke of two models the Alton and the Gable. They said there was nothing else, which from what I have been reading is incorrect. Could you give me some additional information on their current models? I feel like some of the models I have read from threads here are outdated and no longer made. Additionally, if you could comment on the level of customization and price points that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Gable (US) = Geo (at Rosen in Canada). Alton is a much more structured and roomier cut. Pricing varies somewhat but you should be able to get a MTM Sammy in basic fabric for ~ $1,200

stat1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Gable (US) = Geo (at Rosen in Canada). Alton is a much more structured and roomier cut. Pricing varies somewhat but you should be able to get a MTM Sammy in basic fabric for ~ $1,200

Thanks for replying to my post. To your knowledge are these the only two current Samuelsohn models? Also, is there a high level of customization for their full MTM program? I was quoted around 1700 for their 110 fabrics for full MTM and around 1300 for OTR MTM. Thanks again.

oilers

Reaction score
There is a great deal of customization available. You can do such things as tabbed collared lapels, zippered pockets, slash pockets, ticket pocket etc. Basically every imaginable customization is possible. These are not the only two models that Samuelsohn still produces, it is under my understanding that Samuelsohn can produce any of their previous fits as long as they have proper specs. This can sometimes lead to guess work, for example I made all my previous Geos using a Todd body try-on garment. With an experienced haber dasher you should be fine.

Cheers.

dsca

Reaction score
So I've currently have Samuelsohn MTM suits (and really like the construction) but I see Coppley has way more fabric selection and what looks like some very high end Zegna fabric available.

Would you guys still go with Samuelsohn if Coppley had a higher quality fabric?

I pulled the trigger on a Coppley fabric I really really liked and think I will be waiting until February when the new 2013 Samuelsohn fabrics come out and see if there's something nice.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
I stopped in to Harry's at the Eaton Center today to ask about the quality of a suit I had bought on sale at the Heartland event. I noticed that Samuelsohn MTM right now is starting at $995 and Coppley is starting at $895. As well respected as Samuelsohn seems to be on SF, I imagine an MTM by them for ~1K would be considered a solid deal (?).

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped in to Harry's at the Eaton Center today to ask about the quality of a suit I had bought on sale at the Heartland event. I noticed that Samuelsohn MTM right now is starting at $995 and Coppley is starting at $895. As well respected as Samuelsohn seems to be on SF, I imagine an MTM by them for ~1K would be considered a solid deal (?).
$995 for the Samuelsohn is a good deal. If you are in the market for a MTM suit and can get to Harry Rosen's, I would do this.

Otherwise, Samuelsohn seems to start a fair bit higher than Coppley, but that may be worth it if you are looking for full canvas.

I do own 2 Coppley MTM, and am happy with them. I ended up with relatively nice fabric, and the cost was an average of $1100 each. This was at LS Men's in NYC.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last 4 suits and 1 blazer have been Samuelsohn MTM ordered through Robert Jones Menswear (downtown Toronto http://robertjonesmenswear.com/ ). I have been extremely happy with the quality and durability of these garments. $995 sounds like a good deal to me - but I expect that the fabric choice will be limited at that price. Robert Jones runs an annual January fabric sale and I have, for the last several years, taken advantage of it to significantly upgrade the fabric choice on a MTM suit. Stating the obvious, no doubt, but this makes a huge difference in the final product.

I only have one Coppley suit - an off-the-rack DB navy chalkstripe flannel that I purchased at a ridiculous discount ($400) last spring and wore for the first time this fall / winter season. It's quite nice, and I have no real complaints - but it is not in the same league as my Samuelsohns. Not precisely apples to apples, I do understand, but I'd recommend you go for the Samuelsohn.

ruddmar

Reaction score
I was at Harry Rosen's (Ottawa - Rideau Center) last night to check out their fabric sale on Copply/Samuelsohn. The Copply fabrics start at $895; the Samuelsohn's at $995. I initially chose a Copply fabric, started the measurement process, and then had second thoughts and switched to the Samuelsohn grey red check fabric. I switched to the Sammy b/c they had the silhouette that I prefer (similar to my slim fit Burberry suit). The jacket was the Richard model and the pants were the F-62... I think. The 2 assocuates I dealt with were wearing this fit, and their suits looked awesome. They started me off by trying a number of Samuelsohn models suits that they had in stock, and they based the initial measurements off this. They also took measurements off the Burberry I was wearing. They even took pictures of me that they sent to the manufacturer. The whole thing took about 1 1/2 hours, including deciding on a fabric (the hardest part).

I'm planning on getting a suit made by Raymond on George St (Raymond Taylor of distinction) in Ottawa. Raymond charges about $900 for a fully canvassed suit, and you can pay in cash, which is nice. My MTM suit at Harry's ended up being $1260 + HST. Ill let you know how it goes once I'm able to compare both.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads