• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy SIII

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got my Galaxy S3 in the mail yesterday (Verizon). It looks kind of crappy and has a cheap plastic feel. Early reviews are also mixed w/ a lot of complaints on random battery drain, overheating, and not-so-great camera (the HTC and i4s supposingly beat it).

Anyone else have experience? Mine's still in the box. Debating if I should return and wait for i5.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The price of a 16GB 4S where I am is 5400RMB CNY (about €690 EUR), locked and with a mandatory two year China Unicom contract. I can get unlocked grey imported ones, but I don't think Apple honours the warranty on them.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just giving information to someone who responded to me about iPhone pricing in the EU. He might not have read my other comments and strong opinions about luxury product pricing here.

We're not all Apple fanboys here. :)

Last edited:

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started using my phone, really like it. Also bought a metallic replacement case online, which makes the phone a lot more substantial. Forgot why I had pre-ordered it on purpose (and the reason I couldn't wait for iphone 5) --- to lock in the current Verizon data plans rather than being forced into their limited data plans.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having suffered through 2 years with my Epic 4G, I probably won't be buying another Samsung phone anytime soon. Samsung support is ****.

Why do Android manufacturers insist on going with larger and larger screens? Battery life is terrible on all of these phones. I wish someone would make a 4" model with stock Android that's not an ugly piece of plastic.

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having suffered through 2 years with my Epic 4G, I probably won't be buying another Samsung phone anytime soon. Samsung support is ****.

Why do Android manufacturers insist on going with larger and larger screens? Battery life is terrible on all of these phones. I wish someone would make a 4" model with stock Android that's not an ugly piece of plastic.

+1. I would buy that kind of phone in a heartbeat. They can even clutter it up with bloatware and skins. That's what Cyanogenmod is for.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the S3, battery life seems decent (I only charge it overnight and I use email/text all day, don't make many calls on it). Previously I had the Droid X and had an extended battery that would last up to 2 days. I figure I'll find an extended battery for this after a couple months too.

I agree that the casing sucks. I ended up getting an aftermarket aluminum casing for it, which actually looks great.

What was so bad with the Epic 4G?

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, lots of things. Mainly the fact that Samsung is 6+ months late on all OS updates, that the batter doesn't last half a day, that the 3G and 4G radios seem to constantly disconnect (and randomly not turn back on), and that it freezes all the time. Also I have to go in every couple of days and turn off/on background data, or it stops syncing with gmail and whatnot.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. I would buy that kind of phone in a heartbeat. They can even clutter it up with bloatware and skins. That's what Cyanogenmod is for.

This I like. Remove the Samsungness and make it yours. Certainly extended the life of my Galaxy S, will probably get another year out of it thanks to CM.

smallfry

Reaction score
I was a Nokia fan for years and I converted to Samsung in 2010 love the galaxy range even their tablets. Highly recommend them.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, lots of things. Mainly the fact that Samsung is 6+ months late on all OS updates, that the batter doesn't last half a day, that the 3G and 4G radios seem to constantly disconnect (and randomly not turn back on), and that it freezes all the time. Also I have to go in every couple of days and turn off/on background data, or it stops syncing with gmail and whatnot.

So far so good. Only issue is the battery kind of sucks but that was expected due to the big screen. Waiting to buy an extended battery once they come out with a thin, reliatble one.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got "Juice defender" app and it makes a world of a difference. So far today, it's at 95% after about 9 hours with rare checks on email and 1 phone call. Before the app, I would drop to 70% after a few hours.

lallas

Reaction score
The price of a 16GB 4S where I am is 5400RMB CNY (about €690 EUR), locked and with a mandatory two year China Unicom contract. I can get unlocked grey imported ones, but I don't think Apple honours the warranty on them.
If I jailbreak or root an iPhone wouldn't I run into problems with doing iOS upgrades and it becoming locked again?
BTW my Galaxy which I bought in the UK, is rooted and the Android upgrades for that have come from CyanogenMod and not Samsung...no Touchwiz here.. haha. No doubt CM will be doing the S3 as well.
I'm also looking at the LG Optimus 4X as well, that should be readily available here as well, again unlocked and without contract.

An amazing app, have it on my phone and tablet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads