1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy SIII

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by blairh, Jun 15, 2012.

1. blairh

blairh Senior member

I'll be demoing this device next week, so I figured I'd start a new thread for it just in case anyone wants to say anything about this phone in the meantime. Cheers.

2. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

How is the battery/internet speed (and where do you live?) Have you tried the HTC One? I'm thinking of getting one of those two.

PS can you come round to my house so I can see if it gets a signal in it?

3. blairh

blairh Senior member

Where do I live? Is my location info not substantial enough? :foo::foo::foo::foo::foo:

Where do YOU live? The North American edition of the One X has serious multitasking issues and that fact alone would have me not recommend it. If you live in Europe, then perhaps you don't have said issue, but I believe that variant does too.

I will be demoing the SIII when it officially comes to the States later this week and I'll share my impressions here.

4. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Big city or out in the sticks?

5. blairh

blairh Senior member

Neither. The suburbs.

6. mattieman

mattieman New Member

I don't like the design of this newly Samsung phone and Ill wait for the the new iphone..

7. blairh

blairh Senior member

I demoed the SIII yesterday and shared my thoughts over at the iPhone 5 thread. Yeah, it's not the nicest looking phone. Very rounded. Screen is sharp but Amoled makes for grey whites and a dim display. I don't think the screen holds a candle to my iPhone 4, let alone the HTC One X.

I'm going to wait and get the next iPhone or potentially the Optimus LTE2 from LG if it comes to the States.

8. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I'm thinking about getting this. the deal breaker on the iphone and the HTC One X /4GLTE is that there is no removable battery. The S3 has one, so i can get a more powerful aftermarket one (I have one on my EVO).

However, they want me to pre-order but won't give me a release date? screw that. also for Sprint they only have the blue one which is not as nice as the white.

not going iphone, they're taking off Google Maps in the next OS version and replacing with Apple Maps. just not a fan.

9. blairh

blairh Senior member

Google will be offering their updated Maps application this fall for iOS and you can use that one instead if you want. The Apple Maps application is just a default one for iOS 6. Derp derp.

I seriously think the SIII screen sucks compared to the iPhone 4/4S and One X.

10. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

good to see they are putting it back on. use latitude.

my main thing i want is a good camera. i heard the HTC one is better from an online review, my dad has the HTC One X and its pretty nice. screen isn't that big of a feature to me unless its horrible.

again the deal breaker is the removable battery as I usually kill stock batteries in 1/2 a day.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  11. blairh

blairh Senior member

I don't need a removable battery. If you do, so be it.

All these flagship devices have good cameras. I seriously think you'll be happy with any of them. (One X, SIII, next iPhone.)

Screen quality is probably my number one factor. The One X screen is the best on the market but it fails in so many other places.

My next phone will be the next iPhone or if LG brings the Optimus LTEII to the States.

12. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Probably similar to me for internet then. Apart from the big hill between me and the mast.

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'd probably get an S3 to replace my Galaxy S eventually, Although I'm still completely happy with the S, it's two years old and has got the CM7 Gingerbread software on it.

iPhone 4S is not really an option for me because of the mandatory rather expensive two year contract, The iPhone also around 50% more expensive than an S3 here. Having a removable battery is a great plus as well over the iPhone, especially for those long train and bus journeys I do sometimes. Plus I don't want to be using iTunes to get my music and movies on and off the phone.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  14. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

For me nothing until next year. They aren't turning on the 4G networks until then. No point getting a new phone without 4G Hopefully they'll have finally updated the Note to 4G by then.

Locally the Iphone 4S is about 10% cheaper at the moment then the Galaxy III. .

15. sonick

sonick Senior member

I want this phone SO badly.

Camera-wise apparently it uses 'essentially the same' camera as the iPhone 4S, but UI for the camera app is supposedly much better and fully featured.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  16. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

I have had one for nearly a month now. This is a really really good phone. I had a GS2 before and really like it, didn't exactly see the benefit of upgrading. But with the Galaxy S3, everything that was slightly sub-par or annoying got replaced by very pleasant and powerful.

The screen is really really good whatever people say, it is I think as good as the One X. When it comes to the camera, it doesn't have the same camera as the iPhone 4S, but a tweaked version of the same sensor, the pictures and videos are really impressive in low lights, more than on the iPhone 4S (although when the iPhone 5 comes it will probably more than catch up). Compared to the One X that I was able to test quickly, it seems that although the One X' lens opens slightly more (f2), the pictures don't seem as good to me.

Overall probably the best phone I ever had. The only downside in my opinion is the design, it's not ugly but it doesn't look that good either.

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'm thinking of the S3 as my next phone. To replace my two year old Galaxy S with CyanogenMod7 Gingerbread 2.3, Which has been doing stirling service and I'm still happy with it. The S3 is available at a reasonable price here, unlocked and without contract (unlike the iPhone).

I've heard some criticisms about it being too lightweight, but that to me is a good thing for a phone, don't want a heavy phone in my pocket. I would also keep it in a rubber case as well, just like my current Galaxy, keeps it in good condition and protects from impact damage.

Only thing with buying Android phones in China, is that they don't have anything Google on them.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  18. blairh

blairh Senior member

If you dig your SIII screen, cool, but honestly I think Amoled is garbage compared to an IPS panel. Grey whites, poor brigthness, artificial colors, the SIII's white has a bluish tint. I would never use an Amoled smartphone. The One X screen blows it away but the One X is garbage too because it can't multitask properly.

I highly recommend people in North America hold out for the next iPhone or an LG offering this fall.

19. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

^ I am satisfied with it. It's not the best screen ever but it is already really good. LG phones have all kind of problems and have never reached Samsung or Apple's standard. And I personally prefer Android over iOS so I don't consider an iPhone an alternative.

If you don't mind rooting there is an app that unlocks it anyway. I got mine for 170€ with a 25€/month contract.

20. blairh

blairh Senior member

I think LG is bringing some legit contenders to the game this fall in the States. The 4X HD looks pretty good and the Optimus LTE2 should be great.