• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

same cardigan, different look...an improvement?

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last "creative" effort fell short, so I figured I'd try again. I'm opening myself up to another bashing, but hopefully things go better this time...

I think the outfit would look fine without the tie, but I'm trying to go for a more formal look.

Opinions please.

broady

Reaction score
just for casual? i think not.

for a night on the town? maybe

for work? probably (I live in Australia)

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know. It just doesn't look natural. It also looks kind of thrift store to me(not that all thrift stores are bad, i've been shopping at thirft stores all my life, but you know what Im saying)

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by thrift store. Are you talking about the cardigan specifically, or are you refering to the outfit in general?

In either case, I need more information on what makes something look like a "thrift store".

allcapitan

Reaction score
I think that's a cool look. Everything's fitted and the stripes on the cardigan add a little flair. I'm guessing you're still in school and it's ok to dress casually. For work, I don't know. I'd say try a v neck sweater and some slacks. Also, have you tried a skinny tie instead? Not necessarily a suggestion, but something to experiment with.

What type of situation are you dressing for anyway?

Capitan

Brian SD

Reaction score
IMO, the tie and shirt are throwing it off for me. An oxford button down with a grey wool tie would look much more fitting with that decidedly ivy league-esque cardigan. That would take away the thrift store vibe (which I think mjk means kind of mis-matched, when he says it, because I felt the same way)

If you have those things, try that and re-post. Also, you do you know how to use photoshop to white balance things? The lighting in your (bath?)room is terrible and the colors are not at all how they should look. If you can't do it in PS, look for white balancing features on your camera. There should be some for tungsten lighting.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Undo the top button, get a skinnier tie (2.5-3") and loosen it a bit.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by allcapitan
I think that's a cool look. Everything's fitted and the stripes on the cardigan add a little flair. I'm guessing you're still in school and it's ok to dress casually. For work, I don't know. I'd say try a v neck sweater and some slacks. Also, have you tried a skinny tie instead? Not necessarily a suggestion, but something to experiment with. What type of situation are you dressing for anyway? Capitan
I'm not sure what you mean by school, but I'm in my second year of university. At any rate, yes, I do dress casually most of the time. To be honest, I haven't really thought about where I'd wear this. I would feel comfortable sporting it at occasions where others are wearing sport jackets. I'm thinking business casual...
IMO, the tie and shirt are throwing it off for me. An oxford button down with a grey wool tie would look much more fitting with that decidedly ivy league-esque cardigan. That would take away the thrift store vibe (which I think mjk means kind of mis-matched, when he says it, because I felt the same way) If you have those things, try that and re-post. Also, you do you know how to use photoshop to white balance things? The lighting in your (bath?)room is terrible and the colors are not at all how they should look. If you can't do it in PS, look for white balancing features on your camera. There should be some for tungsten lighting.
Ok, I understand the thrift store reference now. Your suggestions are good ones, unfortunitaley I don't have any of those items with me at the moment. I'm in a hotel right now, thus the poor lighting. I'll try and play with the camera settings for next time...
get a skinnier tie (2.5-3") and loosen it a bit.
Yes, I totally agree. I didn't realize how fat the tie was when I bought it today. I was kind of in a rush and was totally dissapointed when I put it on later.

Analog

Reaction score
The spread collar throws it off for me, as well as the colour and width of the tie. I'd try a slimmer, solid grey/black tie, and a plain white untextured button down.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks mismatched. I've gone into a thirft store many times, and found an outfit I thought would look cool, tried it on, overlooked some of its problems because everything was $5, brought it home, realized I wouldn't wear this, and then stuck everything in my dresser...

corbu

Reaction score
i think its the collar that is throwing it off for me. its too formal for that outfit.

if you were wearing a half-zip instead of a cardigan, i think it would work alot better.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
to sum up some great responses above, the problems/solutions are:

Problem: shirt and tie don't work with that sweater
Solution: a wool thin tie and OCDB would look much more in sync with the sweater vibe

just changing that combo will get rid of the 'thrift' vibe, which I agree is happening.

shoe choice is ok...the concept is good. I think the cuff might be too big for this look. a smaller/tighter .5-1" cuff would look a lot cleaner

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
FWIW, I think that collar *could* look more casual, but you'd have to unbutton the top button, like j suggested. I'd probably take out the collar stays if I was doing, that, too. The crispness of the collar is fighting with the more casual vibe of the cardi.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads