• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
Just ordered the black suede Hedi 30 Chelsea boots. I've been struggling to choose which black suede boot to go with for ages. My choice was between the cropped jodhpur, the Devon side-zip, and the Hedi 30 and in the end I decided on the Hedi 30, at least to begin with (wouldn't mind something less chunky with a finer sole too). I think what sealed it in the end was that the Hedi 30 is a good all round option, I like how the elastic gore looks against the black suede (see below), and I felt the Devon could look a little bit elf slipper like with the point in black suede:

I just bought the Hedi 30 in black suede about two-three weeks ago from Neiman Marcus. I posted the deal when I first saw it and my pair costed $320 ALL IN. The sizing was extremely limited and I would say there was only about 10 pairs give or take in sizing all over the board. Did you get your pair from that sale?

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, I just paid full price from YSL.com. Great deal you got there though. They're arriving tomorrow so hopefully I'll like them. I have the black calf version already and really like them so I'm pretty confident in the choice.

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
Nah, I just paid full price from YSL.com. Great deal you got there though. They're arriving tomorrow so hopefully I'll like them. I have the black calf version already and really like them so I'm pretty confident in the choice.

I'm almost certain you will @kieran84 . The nap on the black suede is super elegant in my opinion and is pretty much universally versatile. I was torn between the cigar or tan color since those are a bit more appropriate for everyday and casual wearing and I love the color contrast of the brown elastic and brown stacked heel on the cigar suede. I did adopt for the black suede because that was the only color available at that price of $320. I'm also not saying at all that the black suede isn't versatile. It was discussed a few weeks back as well that the black suede is probably "more" versatile than the cigar in terms of dressing them up formally.

I'm now in the market for a pair of Hedi 30s in cigar/ tan or a cropped jodhpur in black calf.

kieran84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cropped Jodhpur in black calf is my favourite boot of all time. So sleek and they work equally well with jeans and a t-shirt as they do with a suit or blazer.

Last edited:

Angel of Death

Reaction score
That's interesting to hear - can you give me some ideas of why?

The reason I'm asking is because I can get the new one, with 80% wool at a substantial (40%) discount:

http://www.ysl.com/gb/shop-product/...te-leather_cod40121404fv.html#section=men_rtw

however the OCD in me is not sure whether it's worth paying full whack for the "old" version with the 93% virgin wool, and supposedly wider leather bands.

http://www.ysl.com/gb/shop-product/...ther_cod40119137iv.html#section=men_permanent

Logically it makes sense to save a wad and get the newer one but I don't want to kick myself if the old one is invariably better in some way.

Thanks

hmm the one i saw had 88% wool. not 80%...

it's mostly mainly to the shoulder stripes being smaller and making it a bit less flashy and slightly shorter sleeves which fits better for people who are 5'9-5'11"

nsubrmnn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these D02 from mr porter, didn't realize they were the MIJ pair, stupidly assumed they were made in Italy, so didn't size up. They are a 29. Too tight?

Rilea

Reaction score
Just got these D02 from mr porter, didn't realize they were the MIJ pair, stupidly assumed they were made in Italy, so didn't size up. They are a 29. Too tight?

I think they look amazing! I'd love to see some more fit pics of them - I'm trying to prepare some white denim fits for the summer but I'm not having much luck

needhelp123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you get them from that Neiman Marcus sale for $320 @needhelp123 ?
nah i got mine full price

i get 90% of my stuff full price anyway cause i'm an impatient idiot who doesn't want to wait for sales and just pay it straight away, waste a lot of money this way but oh well

BlackChiney8

Reaction score
nah i got mine full price

i get 90% of my stuff full price anyway cause i'm an impatient idiot who doesn't want to wait for sales and just pay it straight away, waste a lot of money this way but oh well

That's being a bit harsh on yourself for sure. If you have the means to do so and are buying the things you actually want, then there's no problem at all with that. I definitely would have still bought these Hedi 30 in black suede regardless but the incredible price was just a bonus and extreme luck. I'll eventually end up shelling out full retail for a pair of the cigar version though...

Ranger44

Reaction score
Cue everyone selling their older teddy to buy a new one.

@ohyehhh Have they really stopped producing the 93% virgin wool one? I always understood it as that being the FW version, while the 80% was the SS version. I remember both being sold by ysl.com when I purchased mine a year ago. The virgin wool was the only one in the Permanent Collection though, for what that's worth.

That's interesting to hear - can you give me some ideas of why?

The reason I'm asking is because I can get the new one, with 80% wool at a substantial (40%) discount:

http://www.ysl.com/gb/shop-product/...te-leather_cod40121404fv.html#section=men_rtw

however the OCD in me is not sure whether it's worth paying full whack for the "old" version with the 93% virgin wool, and supposedly wider leather bands.

http://www.ysl.com/gb/shop-product/...ther_cod40119137iv.html#section=men_permanent

Logically it makes sense to save a wad and get the newer one but I don't want to kick myself if the old one is invariably better in some way.

Thanks

Yeah. I have compared both of them. The newer season has smaller lines and the sleeve is shorter. I personally prefer the newer season. But the 93% wool has better thickness of wool, its virgin, you can feel it.. Its possible to find the 93%. The newer one just drapes better though on the shoulders. And doesn't have as much bag on the arm length.. it looks much better imo.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads