• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint James Thread

Todd V

Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think Matelot and Binic are the same. At the minimum Matelot U and Matelot R must be the same just one has stripes. Officier is just like the Matelot but longer.

Last edited:

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Hmm, this post at Archival Clothing leads me to believe that the Bicnic is a looser fit than the Matelot.

Anyone with experience with the Matelot want to weigh in on what size would be best for a 39 chest? The Archival size chart leads me to guess I'm good with an S/40/GPON, but advice from the knowledgeable is awesome.

Todd V

Reaction score
I'm a 37 chest and have Matelot in Pon. I prefer to wear a button down shirt underneath and the fit is snug. I think you will be good with a GPON but if you want that super tight super future look go for the Pon.

Todd V

Reaction score
I threw on the Matelot today which I got from Archival Clothing. Mine is size Pon and I measured the length. The length is about 25.5" not 27.25". I'm not sure if they are measuring differently but I can't even see how they came up with 27.25. This might be a longer version (known as the Officier I think). This might affect your size decision so ask them to confirm measurements before you order. They are very helpful in this regard and that sale price is great.

PattyC

Reaction score
Got a bnwt Matelot in navy for sale, fits me like a medium, super slim. Gonna throw it up in the marketplace soon.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size Matelot should I go for if I'm 6'2" with a 40 inch chest? Would the Officer work better on me?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the measurements, they seem crazy small - an XL would seem to be still a bit short of a 40...

Todd V

Reaction score
My guess for you is SGPON. If things are always short on you, consider the Officier.

These things stretch over your torso and arms (width, not length) so the measurements mean very little.

What size Matelot should I go for if I'm 6'2" with a 40 inch chest? Would the Officer work better on me?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
anyone have experience with naval ii sizing? can't figure out what the **** size i need t7 or t8 or l or l-xl for a loose fit

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone have experience with naval ii sizing? can't figure out what the **** size i need t7 or t8 or l or l-xl for a loose fit

Didn't try one on, but the cut is definitely slightly more relaxed than most Saint James, but if you want it loose I'd go l-xl

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
thanks mok, going to email them for measurements as well

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks mok, going to email them for measurements as well

They seemed slightly more relaxed in shoulders/upper arms than the Minique, but chest measurements looked similar. I'd estimate the Large was around 44-45" p2p with the XL a couple of inches bigger, but do email them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads