• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saint Crispin Catalog

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for putting up the catalog, I just save it for my reference.

It's odd that SC doesn't any retail outlets in Vienna. I liken the Classic last to Vass F last. I think I've seen more SC lasts other than the Classic and Sailor lasts featured in the catalog. For those who have SC & Vass, how do you compare the two makers?

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Thanks for putting up the catalog, I just save it for my reference.

It's odd that SC doesn't any retail outlets in Vienna. I liken the Classic last to Vass F last. I think I've seen more SC lasts other than the Classic and Sailor lasts featured in the catalog. For those who have SC & Vass, how do you compare the two makers?

Even though both SC and Vass are handmade Eastern European shoes, I think they're somewhat different animals. SC is essentially a MTO operation - they have 10 workers in Transylvania and like to keep very little inventory. Styling is pretty different as well.

SC offers just one last for city shoes (the 107 Classic) while Vass has a wider selection. The Vass F is somewhat different than the 107 - the 107 is perhaps a bit pointier and doesn't have that small bulge at the toe box that the F has. Also SC's designs are more fashion forward than Vass. Even their Long Wing and Full Brougue oxfords are more stylized than the basic Vass models in the F and U lasts. There are fewer models in the SC lineup that I would pay big $$$ for. On the flip side, SC thrives on customization and encourages customers to mix and match leathers and the like (the blue calf+blue lizard shoe in the catalog is a prime example). Vass is not a fan of customer's deviating outside their set patterns.

Lastly, SC's sole work is superior to Vass. SC pegs and fiddles the waist giving it a much more attractive look. But Vass is also ~$200 cheaper (incl. some fantastic shoe trees).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a slight preference for my St Crispin's but I also love my Vass. The quality of leather on the SC is the primary element of superiority for me

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Even though both SC and Vass are handmade Eastern European shoes, I think they're somewhat different animals. SC is essentially a MTO operation - they have 10 workers in Transylvania and like to keep very little inventory. Styling is pretty different as well.

SC offers just one last for city shoes (the 107 Classic) while Vass has a wider selection. The Vass F is somewhat different than the 107 - the 107 is perhaps a bit pointier and doesn't have that small bulge at the toe box that the F has. Also SC's designs are more fashion forward than Vass. Even their Long Wing and Full Brougue oxfords are more stylized than the basic Vass models in the F and U lasts. There are fewer models in the SC lineup that I would pay big $$$ for. On the flip side, SC thrives on customization and encourages customers to mix and match leathers and the like (the blue calf+blue lizard shoe in the catalog is a prime example). Vass is not a fan of customer's deviating outside their set patterns.

Lastly, SC's sole work is superior to Vass. SC pegs and fiddles the waist giving it a much more attractive look. But Vass is also ~$200 cheaper (incl. some fantastic shoe trees).

Originally Posted by gdl203
I have a slight preference for my St Crispin's but I also love my Vass. The quality of leather on the SC is the primary element of superiority for me

AFAIK, Vass is a semi-MTO operation, they keep very little inventory in their store, just enough for you to try on to figure out the best-fitted size and last before you order the models you like.

Vass is pretty flexible too. I was told I could order any combo of models and lasts I want (except Norweger and double monk in U last), with any mix-and-match of leathers and colors. I don't think Vass works with exotics though, except antelope. I don't know if this custom pair ordered by Brian considered as deviated from their set pattern:
picture042gz3.jpg

I could buy every models that Vass produces but there're only 4-5 SC models I really want. But I really love the finish on SC, very EGesque antiqueing, I wish Vass could do finishes like that. For now, I am a Vass loyalist.

Panzeraxe II

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll defer you to on the MTO point, but I still believe that SC is more willing to take on oddball shoe projects than Vass. Whenever (through Eiko) I have tried to get Vass to use 2 leathers, or add / delete broguing, my requests have been politely rebuffed.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Yep, though EG is direct is much faster than RLPL / EG (3 months turnaround). The 2-Eyelet Derby is a great shoe. I have one on order and expect to receive it in a couple of weeks.

HELL yes. I can't wait to see this one. My Oxblood Old English II should arrive in 2-3 weeks.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The PDF link on the first page should still be accessible for those who want a copy of the Catalog.

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mute
The PDF link on the first page should still be accessible for those who want a copy of the Catalog.
Thanks for the pointer
shog[1].gif
Stupid me had not checked 1st post since pre xmas ... But it worked. The 2 & 3 eylet derby's are nice. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=saint+crispin http://styleforum.net/showpost.php?p...postcount=2588 I like the brouging on the 3eylet one mod:206 Or the wholecut 114. Some nice threads: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=saint+crispin http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=saint+crispin Annyone have pictures covering the rear & side. Hopefully for a wholecut
smile.gif
This looks so much better than JM Weston
bounce2.gif
(At about the same pricepoint) Thanks again.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
panzer,the derby one eyelet croc ,do you know the price?

I have seen the derby in olive croc leather about 2 months ago, it was tagged 2590€.
The US price should be in the 2100€ area then.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SanDiegoMD