• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddleback Leather Bags

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Saddleback's wallets and card holders? Are they fairly thin? I'm in the market for a wallet, but having a thin one is a priority for me.

bbb0777

Reaction score
They seem like extremely high quality. I also like that they're not really a 'designer' brand, a bit more masculine in a way.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by axlpendergast
i've had mine for about 2 years now. i believe this was their earliest version: made in Mexico, large, light tobacco brown and suede lining. i took a look at the new slim briefcase and the difference in the finishing touches is extremely evident. it would appear moving their production to the States really refined their product.

i carried it daily for an entire semester during college but then switched back to a regular back pack. i'm 5'11" @ 188 lbs but carrying a laptop with 2 or 3 textbooks was killer. eventually just used it for work where all i tote around is laptop and paperwork.

aside from using Lexol during summer to prevent it from drying out i really haven't done all that much to it. the leather really puts everything else i've seen to shame.

They are still made in Mexico. What they've done is setup their own manufacturing facility. Makes it easier to keep a firm grip on quality control.

Originally Posted by JMRouse
Anyone have experience with Saddleback's wallets and card holders? Are they fairly thin? I'm in the market for a wallet, but having a thin one is a priority for me.

The card holders and small wallets are pretty thin. My billfold is not the thickest wallet I own but it's not the thinnest either. It is simplistic in design and function and it's built like a tank though. Mine is the large billfold and it's designed for international currency and a few cards. It has a cool cash divider that works very well for hiding a few Franklins or it can keep different currencies separated.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm interested in the card holder. It looks nice and is a great price. This may have been asked before, but does SB offer any free shipping codes or any type of known discount codes? Yes, I am cheap.
lol8[1].gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also must say that as much as I was ragging on the weight of some of SB's items, I am interested in the Laptop bag. It's a nice looking item and only ways 5 pounds. What is holding me back is the lack of any room for my charging cable.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in the card holder. It looks nice and is a great price. This may have been asked before, but does SB offer any free shipping codes or any type of known discount codes? Yes, I am cheap.
lol8[1].gif

Not that I'm aware of.

Reaction score
I also must say that as much as I was ragging on the weight of some of SB's items, I am interested in the Laptop bag. It's a nice looking item and only ways 5 pounds. What is holding me back is the lack of any room for my charging cable.

Click Briefcase and then "Thin Briefcase". It has a "shock absorbant" design for Laptops - but it can hold more than the laptop bag - but it has that same structured design. If I decided to get a bag eventually - it would be this one.

atlgator04

Reaction score

I hate crap in my pockets, and the cardholder works really well for me. As someone said about their wallet, the cardholder is built like a tank.

mtommis

Reaction score
Hi,
Just picked up on this thread, i am looking to buy one of these great looking bags. I know there is some guidance on sizing on the manufacturers website but anybody got any advice on which size to go for. I am about 5'10 and 190llbs

Gotta carry a tosh satellite, digital slr & loadsa stuff (read junk)

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mtommis
Hi,
Just picked up on this thread, i am looking to buy one of these great looking bags. I know there is some guidance on sizing on the manufacturers website but anybody got any advice on which size to go for. I am about 5'10 and 190llbs

Gotta carry a tosh satellite, digital slr & loadsa stuff (read junk)

Not sure it'll help, but I'll try.

I have a size large (i.e. the "middle" size) breifcase/messenger. I am 175 lbs and 6'. I carry around a 17" Toshiba Satellite, a full-sized text, a few charts, and a few power cords every day. The bag accepts these things with a bit of room to spare for random junk.

Theoretically, I could carry my laptop and my Canon 40D (without battery grip) and any walk-around lens in the bag; personally, I wouldn't ever do this, but it could be done.

For me this size is perfect; moreover, this bag is perfect. I would suggest the bag in a heartbeat and I'd suggest the size large as the default "best size" - unless it was for a girl or a particularly small guy.

Keep in mind, the bag is heavy!! (People will tell you this over and over as the only potential negative of Saddleback bags - be sure you realize this as it is very true.)

Bruce-YVR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Notreknip
Not sure it'll help, but I'll try.

I have a size large (i.e. the "middle" size) breifcase/messenger. I am 175 lbs and 6'. I carry around a 17" Toshiba Satellite, a full-sized text, a few charts, and a few power cords every day. The bag accepts these things with a bit of room to spare for random junk.

Theoretically, I could carry my laptop and my Canon 40D (without battery grip) and any walk-around lens in the bag; personally, I wouldn't ever do this, but it could be done.

For me this size is perfect; moreover, this bag is perfect. I would suggest the bag in a heartbeat and I'd suggest the size large as the default "best size" - unless it was for a girl or a particularly small guy.

Keep in mind, the bag is heavy!! (People will tell you this over and over as the only potential negative of Saddleback bags - be sure you realize this as it is very true.)

Great bag..... go get one!!!!!

Together with my J. Crew Alden Indy boot

Bruce

itsmemario

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently senior in college, transitioning to business casual wear, and i'm considering getting one of these bags. I cant decide on which bag to get, considering i carry around a laptop, notebooks, etc. I am 5'7" 150 lbs with an athletic build. Could anyone who has owned one of these bags provide me some suggestions? I was thinking of either getting the medium brief, thin brief, or a large satchel. I have a macbook thats either 13" or 15" (i forget which one, i have a feeling its 15").

I am also leaning torwards carrying these bags around more like a backpack (unless i get the thin briefcase) until i graduate, because of the weight. Will this look a bit awkward?

Thanks.

ergj

Reaction score
To resurrect this thread, I just purchased a medium thin briefcase in dark coffee. Do you guys use any conditioning product on the bag? I use Montana Pitch and Blend on my boots and figure that it's probably a good idea to use it on this bag as well.

Any thoughts?

Saddleback Leather

Reaction score
Originally Posted by itsmemario
Hi,

I am currently senior in college, transitioning to business casual wear, and i'm considering getting one of these bags. I cant decide on which bag to get, considering i carry around a laptop, notebooks, etc. I am 5'7" 150 lbs with an athletic build. Could anyone who has owned one of these bags provide me some suggestions? I was thinking of either getting the medium brief, thin brief, or a large satchel. I have a macbook thats either 13" or 15" (i forget which one, i have a feeling its 15").

I am also leaning torwards carrying these bags around more like a backpack (unless i get the thin briefcase) until i graduate, because of the weight. Will this look a bit awkward?

Thanks.

The medium is great for a 13". It may be a bit of a squeeze on the 15". Thin brief is a great call if you do a lot of walking around campus because its a little lighter. I personally use the Med. classic brief everyday, but its a pretty robust bag so if weight is an issue I'd go with the thin..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads