• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddleback Leather Bags

ergj

Reaction score
To anwer my own question, I should have just checked the FAQ on the website. The answer below is pulled straight from the site:

"Oil or condition it after you've had it for 6 - 12 months then, once a year or so after that. You don't want to do it too often, because you don't want to saturate the leather. It's just not good for it. And, it won't kill it if you wait a little longer than 12 months. Baby Oil is good and smells great. Mink oil waterproofs whatever it touches and darkens it some. Lexol Conditioners and Oils are great, and can darken it a little. Not really sure about Beeswax."

ganagati

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saddleback Leather
The medium is great for a 13". It may be a bit of a squeeze on the 15". Thin brief is a great call if you do a lot of walking around campus because its a little lighter. I personally use the Med. classic brief everyday, but its a pretty robust bag so if weight is an issue I'd go with the thin..

15" macbook (pro) does not fit in the medium sized briefcase. Less than a month after purchasing the medium briefcase, my apple G4 went down for the count. The replacement macbook just couldn't squeeze in there...

It fits great in the large, though
smile.gif

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ergj
To anwer my own question, I should have just checked the FAQ on the website. The answer below is pulled straight from the site:

"Oil or condition it after you've had it for 6 - 12 months then, once a year or so after that. You don't want to do it too often, because you don't want to saturate the leather. It's just not good for it. And, it won't kill it if you wait a little longer than 12 months. Baby Oil is good and smells great. Mink oil waterproofs whatever it touches and darkens it some. Lexol Conditioners and Oils are great, and can darken it a little. Not really sure about Beeswax."

I'd be wary about using baby oil. If only because there are alternatives out there for leather. IMHO don't like the dryness of saddleback leather. After 3 months of use my bag is starting to get a nice burnished look in certain areas that rub against me while I walk (the back), but other areas are coming along more slowly.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct, "baby oil" is basically mineral oil which is derived from petroleum, very bad for leather.

ergj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Correct, "baby oil" is basically mineral oil which is derived from petroleum, very bad for leather.

Interesting. I'd have figured if it's good for human skin, it'd be ok for leather. Lucky for me, I already have a leather dressing I use on my boots which can double up on for this bag.

Thanks a bunch!

Chris2131

Reaction score

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
welcome to the board, why don't you copy-n-paste a few of those articles over into the men's clothing board for discussion....then we mods will be less likely to message you about our affiliate options
smile.gif

samanthalakour

Reaction score
I have been trying to determine what leather briefcase to buy, and came across another brand located at http://www.crazyhorseleather.com has anyone heard of this company? Do you think it comparable to saddleback leather? The price is a bit cheaper.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Halfheartedly disguised knockoff
spam[1].gif

samanthalakour

Reaction score
Would that make them inferior to saddleback leather though? If so would the price difference be worth it?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samanthalakour
Would that make them inferior to saddleback leather though? If so would the price difference be worth it?

These are all subjective opinions.
It's really tough to tell from a pic.
The total ripoff of Saddleback - site to product - it enough to keep me away.
For what, 2/3 the price? Not that great a deal.
YMMV.

bootlover604

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bruce-YVR
Great bag..... go get one!!!!!

Together with my J. Crew Alden Indy boot

Bruce

Wow! great look Bruce!

Glad to see another collector of fine leather goods in my neck of the woods. : )

26redd

Reaction score
I don't have any bags from http://www.saddlebackleather.com so I can't tell you that crazy horse leather is as good, but I did buy the dark brown leather briefcase from crazy horse leather around 4 months ago to use as my laptop bag and the quality of it is amazing in my opinion. Looks even better now then when I got it new. Let me know if anyone wants me to upload some pics of mine.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's some nice spam you got there, one-post-guy hyping up a single seller's ****** bag auctions.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads