• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OhBanana

Reaction score
@sehkelly I _think_ it's been used before but any thoughts on Ventile? Organic or otherwise? I'm guessing the weatherproof ripstop just in general is better as a working material?

I was interested in it initially but thinking about how it works by swelling the fibers through the _absorbtion_ of water made me somewhat leery of it. Swelled fibers -> denser fabric -> stiff. Also wet cotton weighs a ton and generally takes a bit to dry. Plus I kind of wonder if any movements might wring out some slight amount of liquid or even wick it out onto your skin upon contact.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@sehkelly I _think_ it's been used before but any thoughts on Ventile? Organic or otherwise? I'm guessing the weatherproof ripstop just in general is better as a working material?

I was interested in it initially but thinking about how it works by swelling the fibers through the _absorbtion_ of water made me somewhat leery of it. Swelled fibers -> denser fabric -> stiff. Also wet cotton weighs a ton and generally takes a bit to dry. Plus I kind of wonder if any movements might wring out some slight amount of liquid or even wick it out onto your skin upon contact.

Ventile is a lovely cloth. We've used it and similar high-count cottons over the years.

I wouldn't say the ripstop is better — just different.

Ventile is excellent in the rain. When we used to use it, it had a coating which made it especially good when new, and less so with time. Even then, though, it proves a good, tightly woven cloth and will do a fine job of keeping the rain out.

I wear mostly cotton in spring and autumn, from jeans to shirts, and sometimes with a cotton jacket or raincoat, and have never any of it weighing tons when wet. I'm not sure how much water it take on when to-the-point-of-bursting saturated, but it can't be *that* much, can it? And the wicking onto the skin — the greatest of great downpours in which I've worn a cotton raincoat, here in London, a bit of dampness on the skin has been the worst of it. But sure — I'd be weary of wearing it on a hike in monsoon season!

... or does this pertain to your earlier enquiry about underwear?

Last edited:

OhBanana

Reaction score
Figures the DWR would need replacement. Typically I'd wash my clothes to get rid of any dirt and other buildup (and washing any residual DWR down the drain... fun) then reapply DWR. Curious how _that'd_ work out with something densely woven like Ventile.

I've just been exploring alternative fabrics. So far nothing has made a compelling argument for me to replace my hiking/camping/traveling gear so, for better or worse, the GoreTex and other laminated stuff stays. It still wets out but is less miserable than wetted out cotton. I've been shown actually impervious stuff like rubber parkas and for my purposes... just... no.

The weight and wicking pretty much only applies to once the fabric has "wet out" (so anywhere in the tropics or subtropics). It's not... bad but I hated my wet cotton clothing when I've been caught out in the rain doing work. I just imagined something densely woven like Ventile could absorb even _more_ water and so would compound the misery.

... or does this pertain to your earlier enquiry about underwear?

It thankfully does not lol. Just curious on your experience using it for outerwear, which you've given, so thanks.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I wonder what SEH Kelly underwear would look like. Forget soft and comfortable, we're going for the tough and rough stuff. The kind that makes you question your sanity.

I forget, are you thinking of releasing the fisherman jacket this spring? Or is it a back to the drawing board type of thing?
Some time ago Paul and I discussed some custom herringbone heavy tweed underpants but sadly the project never got off the drawing board.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some time ago Paul and I discussed some custom herringbone heavy tweed underpants but sadly the project never got off the drawing board.
I envision lots of tabs, as elastic is so gauche, and the pocket should not be difficult as that is one of SEH Kelly’s core strengths.

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I envision lots of tabs, as elastic is so gauche, and the pocket should not be difficult as that is one of SEH Kelly’s core strengths.
"The fabric is undyed wool in a middling weight from Shetland Voe sheep, which graze on seaweed. Marvellously strong yet durable, the dense weave will cradle your sensitive parts in a firm yet gentle grip.
The cut is fitted but not tight, allowing for those even with generous thighs some movement. The sides are adjustable with tabs, allowing the wearer a more relaxed fit if desired. They are hand-linked — i.e. each side is not stitched together. Instead, the tiny knit loops of each part are linked together, with a knitting needle, by hand. Painfully slow work, as you might imagine — but the only way to achieve a soft, seamless finish and avoid irritation where irritation must be avoided.
The leg openings are finished with a rib stitch to avoid fraying and provide a pleasing effect
There is an opening at the front for egress when urinating. This is closed with a horn button, sourced from one of the last horn button makers in the British Isles. (In the circumstances and given the position, horn being the only choice).
The gentleman here is 6'1", 38 in the chest, and there are reports — neither confirmed nor denied — that he tips the scales at 7 inches. He's here wearing an M for, by all accounts, a fine fit."

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"The fabric is undyed wool in a middling weight from Shetland Voe sheep, which graze on seaweed. Marvellously strong yet durable, the dense weave will cradle your sensitive parts in a firm yet gentle grip.
The cut is fitted but not tight, allowing for those even with generous thighs some movement. The sides are adjustable with tabs, allowing the wearer a more relaxed fit if desired. They are hand-linked — i.e. each side is not stitched together. Instead, the tiny knit loops of each part are linked together, with a knitting needle, by hand. Painfully slow work, as you might imagine — but the only way to achieve a soft, seamless finish and avoid irritation where irritation must be avoided.
The leg openings are finished with a rib stitch to avoid fraying and provide a pleasing effect
There is an opening at the front for egress when urinating. This is closed with a horn button, sourced from one of the last horn button makers in the British Isles. (In the circumstances and given the position, horn being the only choice).
The gentleman here is 6'1", 38 in the chest, and there are reports — neither confirmed nor denied — that he tips the scales at 7 inches. He's here wearing an M for, by all accounts, a fine fit."

ChatGPT strikes again.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't even know

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

We made inroads with jersey-wear quite a long time ago, and spent some time working with a mill in Leicestershire: the end result being some long-johns and a sort of sleep shirt made in a lovely thick, undyed, speckled cotton.

All presented in a bespoke box with nice paraphernalia about the process.

Sadly they went as far as our showroom in Tokyo as the price was as prohibitive as the idea, in hindsight, was overly ambitious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads