• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOT Sriracha

Reaction score
With pleasure!

We're (S.E.H Kelly, which is me and my co-founder Sara) are making a version of our balmacaan (a fairly long walking coat) with the community here on Styleforum.

The standard version of the coat, which we've made in one form or another for the past five or six years, you can see at https://sehkelly.com/balmacaan.

Here is the story so far, told in the form of links to previous posts (I hope this doesn't come across as lazy).

I mooted the idea first at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/s-e-h-kelly.277070/post-10567305. We walked here about the coat itself and potential new cloths.

A week or two later, I summed up the story so far at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/s-e-h-kelly.277070/post-10641274.

A few weeks went by, with quite a bit of chat, and we seemed to narrow the bounds of the project down to our balmacaan, made longer and possibly with a belt, in a tweed from Donegal, such that we have used in previous years ... but different.

I spent some time with the mill to compile a "long list" of options, presented at https://www.styleforum.net/threads/s-e-h-kelly.277070/post-10677424.

In the days since then, we've taken an informal vote on favourites, with a view in a week or two of taking a final vote -- choosing at most two colours / cloths from a choice of, I dunno, ten.

I've also been developing the coat itself, with a mock-up of the new, longer version made and ready to be shown to the thread in a day or two.

And, finally, the plan is to release the final coat after the summer, with pre-orders taken once the final cloth(s) has been agreed.

I think you're up to speed!

Paul

Thank you sir !

Looks & sounds great! Excited to see the SF version, will the standard length version also be available in these new cloth options ?

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thank you sir !

Looks & sounds great! Excited to see the SF version, will the standard length version also be available in these new cloth options ?

A pleasure.

The standard version will appear in the same cloth as last year (at https://sehkelly.com/balmacaan) only in two new colours. There will be a dark brown and grey version, and a very dark grey.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And now for something completely different.

Actually, it is something quite similar to the balmacaan, but also distinct and in its own right.

We have been meaning to develop a long, weatherproof coat in the vein of a stockman / riding coat for quite some time, and we are now nearly there. It's a little bit trench coat and a little bit balmacaan (at least, with the collar tab).

This is a mockup made with Ventile Ripstop (we have quite a lot of Ventile lurking on the shelves, having not used it for a good half-decade). It is good for mockups: it shows every flaw and mistake in a pattern.

duster-3@2x.jpg
duster-2@2x.jpg
duster-1@2x.jpg

It's the first time we've made a coat with a one-piece raglan sleeve since the trench coat, eight or nine years ago, and despite the hiatus it remains our favourite style of sleeve — being very elegant, simple, but flattering. This has the additional layers / guard over the shoulder, fixed into the seams of the raglan.

It also has a fairly unusual turn-down collar, constructed in a way similar to the field coat (which might make a return after the summer).

Oh, and you can't see it here, but it has mildly peculiar pockets, which sort of trick the eye (in a good way).

Long, too: 43" right now.

The plan is to put this into production after the summer, in a weatherproof cotton of some sort, for release perhaps in very early autumn.

'patanoster

Reaction score
Hey Paul, another backer for wide here. Wide 2 and wide 7 my faves, wide 2 being the obviously bolder choice.

Shout out to standard 6, though - a very pleasing fleck.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll cast my votes for wide 7, wide 6 and wide 5. Terribly exciting, I know!

Many thanks!

The wide herringbone is I think exciting in its own right. It is fundamentally different in structure to the standard herringbone, being a sort of double-weave, and because it is a bit more open than the standard, it will drape beautifully, I should think. Not that the standard is in any way a slouch!

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Will the silk-linen poplin shirt come in other colors?

Yes — there's a blue version, too, and one or two in grey. They have the same base of off-white linen, but are (respectively) mixed with navy and charcoal linen. They both have that sort of "salt and pepper" look is what I'm trying to say!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads