• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wabi-sabi

Reaction score
@wabi-sabi thank you! The coat (and the rest) looks really good. How do you like it?

it really is a great coat. I think the fabric looks stiff in the picture but it is rather soft. plus it's water proof, windproof, abrasion proof, and it doesn't crease much so you can handle it pretty roughly without damaging it. and I like the silhouette and the details on the new car coat since it's more classy, so it goes well with the other clothes i posses.

WizardVigilante

Reaction score
it really is a great coat. I think the fabric looks stiff in the picture but it is rather soft. plus it's water proof, windproof, abrasion proof, and it doesn't crease much so you can handle it pretty roughly without damaging it. and I like the silhouette and the details on the new car coat since it's more classy, so it goes well with the other clothes i posses.

Much appreciate pictures of it in the wild, really enlightening.

What's the hand like on the material, does it feel rough to the touch? Also this might seem obvious, but just to confirm, that's the cosmos colour?

wabi-sabi

Reaction score
Much appreciate pictures of it in the wild, really enlightening.

What's the hand like on the material, does it feel rough to the touch? Also this might seem obvious, but just to confirm, that's the cosmos colour?

It's a strange fabric.
I don't know how to express it precisely, but it feels rougher than cotton but smoother than an ordinary linen that hasn't been washed. But since the fabric is soft, the roughness doesn't stand out. I don't mind the fabric rubbing against my neck.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The smock seems to have sold quicker than we anticipated. It is always difficult to just how many pieces to make when you release something for the first time, at least in my experience.

For anyone who missed out, the good news is that the quite-similar-in-some-respects popover (previewed a few posts previously) is now more likely to happen than not. The sample is made and looking surprisingly problem-free, and we already have some linen suiting (the heavy, mercerised and sanforized wonder-linen) here at the workshop.

It was intended to have short sleeves, but given rolling up sleeves is working very well for me with the smock (and shirt) I think we'll make it long of sleeve instead.

All being well, by the middle of April, it'll be done.

The new cardigan, some shorts, and some trousers will also hopefully appear on the website before the end of the working week.

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I was quite happy with these photographs of the new boatneck until I realised that the development sample had worked its way in front of the camera, rather than the finished article.

The only noticeable difference is the sleeve, which here is standard length and with the same rolled edge as the neck and hem, rather than the longer turn-back style of the ones at http://sehkelly.com/boatneck.

boatneck-cotton-admiral-blue-worn-3s@2x.jpg
boatneck-cotton-admiral-blue-worn-2s@2x.jpg
boatneck-cotton-admiral-blue-worn-1s@2x.jpg
boatneck-cotton-admiral-blue-worn-5s@2x.jpg
boatneck-cotton-admiral-blue-worn-4s@2x.jpg

Oh well.

Worse things happen at sea, as my Dad says (tenuous boat pun).

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The popover shirt is finally being cut!

This exciting news, at least from my perspective. The debut of the smock month was received well, and the popover shirt stalks similar semi-casual territory.

We're making it in the same linen suiting used in March for a couple of shirts, and the colours are mid-grey and a sort of coffee / rust colour (perhaps a very strongly brewed builder's tea with a no more than a drop of milk).

And, in other news, some new photographs have emerged of the field shirt in cotton-linen ("union") hopsack and the engineer jacket in brushed cotton canvas are come to light ...

field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-blue-worn-1s@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-blue-worn-3s@2x.jpg
engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-dark-navy-worn-3s@2x.jpg
engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-dark-navy-worn-1s@2x.jpg
engineer-jacket-cotton-canvas-dark-navy-worn-2s@2x.jpg
field-shirt-cotton-linen-hopsack-blue-worn-4s@2x.jpg

sehkelly

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Very happy with my purchase of the above. The material really is lovely, I usually shy away from synthetics but I took a chance based on testimony from earlier in the thread and I'm glad I did.

Glad you like it!

The cloth does seem to have carved out a niche as the synthetic for those that don't like synthetics.

Remarkable stuff -- all the more so for the fact that on a molecular level it has more in common with my frying pan than cotton.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks very good! I think I asked you before, but do you have any plans for the Parka Major in that fabric this year? Need a good "rain coat", but not set on style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads