• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I too am patiently awaiting the return of the parka major.
Good to hear. It is sure to return in a few months. We have a very good, heavy cotton canvas lined up, from Northern Ireland, which has really incredible depth of colour.

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
looks very good! I think I asked you before, but do you have any plans for the Parka Major in that fabric this year? Need a good "rain coat", but not set on style.
Not that fabric, but another fabric (as reply above).

But the parka major surely will appear in that fabric, one day. We tend to flit between weatherproof cottons and the weatherproof ripstop for our raincoats, so give it a year or two and a parka major in the latter is all but certain to show up.

10dence

Reaction score
Speaking of weatherproof coats and jackets, is there any room for weatherproof trousers?

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Speaking of weatherproof coats and jackets, is there any room for weatherproof trousers?
Not too likely, I must admit. I mean, the very thick tweed and woollen trousers we make sometimes are weatherproof, but if you had a lighter material in mind, I don't think it's on the cards. We have made them in the past, in Ventile and weatherproof ripstop, but those were requested exclusives ("collaborations") which shops in Japan, and were never really my cup of matcha. At least with the weatherproof materials to which we have access (ones madfe in the British Isles, I mean) you end up with a very stiff and crease-prone trouser, that doesn't look too sharp after a few wears.

Sorry!

As an alternative suggestions, the shorts at https://www.sehkelly.com/shorts-in-cotton-stay-wax-in-copper/ are weatherproof, if you have extremely short legs and / or ready access to knee-high weatherproof socks.

10dence

Reaction score
What if you sew several pairs together into a full length trouser? Something to think of if you can't get rid of them all.

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
What if you sew several pairs together into a full length trouser? Something to think of if you can't get rid of them all.
An eminently sensible suggestion.

In other sewing news, I am heading to the shirt factory tomorrow to check on progress of the popover (which was cancelled, a few weeks back, or at least postponed for a year, but then we had a change of heart, what with the many summery days ahead of us).

And shirts — I photographed a few of them the other day, and here they are. This is the linen suiting, which in my opinion is as good as linen shirting (ironically) ever gets, at least at the sturdier end of the spectrum.

shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-cork-worn-1s@2x.jpg

shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-cork-worn-7s@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-cork-worn-5s@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-cork-worn-3s@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-dark-navy-worn-5@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-dark-navy-worn-2s@2x.jpg
shirt-granddad-linen-suiting-dark-navy-worn-1s@2x.jpg

The upcoming popover aforementioned is built on the same body as the above, but looser in certain areas, and of course you yank it over your bonce rather than button it up the front.

Last edited:

sehkelly

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I trust everyone is having a pleasant weekend.

I hear from the factory that the first batch of popover shirts is complete, and requires my attention in person tomorrow to determine where exactly the button (singular) at the neck should go — or indeed, whether it should have a button at all, and instead have a proudly open neck through which the breeze can freely pass.

In the meantime, here's another garment being worn: this time the pyjama top in heavy burlap. Mostly sold out now, admittely (you do get these bottlenecks between production and marketing as a small operation) — at least in this material.

pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-worn-1s@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-worn-2s@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-worn-4s@2x.jpg
pyjama-top-linen-burlap-dark-navy-worn-3s@2x.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.