• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russia calf

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A thread on Ask Andy reminded me that I once saw an advertisement in a magazine for Russia Calf. Problem is I can't remember which magazine. Does anybody know where I can get my hands on some of this leather? I want to send it to Vass so they can make me some shoes...

shoefan

Reaction score
I don't know, but my impression is that this stuff is largely (or exclusively) located in the UK. Certainly, Poulsen and Cleverley feature the product fairly prominently. Interestingly, at some point last fall I was speaking with Mr. Glasgow/Mr. Carnera (not sure which one), and he claimed Cleverley had bought up all the inventory and that other companies' claim that they make current products from the Russian Calf were bogus. I take that assertion with a grain -large - of salt.

Perhaps you should contact Crack & Sons in Northampton. I assume they will know the true story, since they are the leading leather merchant in Northampton. If you need their phone #, let me know, and I'll find it. Also, let us know when you find out about the leather; I might like to pick some up someday myself.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interestingly, at some point last fall I was speaking with Mr. Glasgow/Mr. Carnera (not sure which one), and he claimed Cleverley had bought up all the inventory and that other companies' claim that they make current products from the Russian Calf were bogus. I take that assertion with a grain -large - of salt.
Mr. Glasgow is the one with the mustache; Mr. Carnera is the one with the glasses. Mr. Glasgow told me that Cleverley has the right of first refusal for the hides that are salvaged (apparently, they're still being brought up), and that they reject a significant portion of them. He also said that much of what was sold as Russia calf wasn't made from hides salvaged from the wreck, although he did acknowlege that other makers used Cleverley's rejects. See my comments on the Ask Andy board here.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we are talking about the Cleverly leather salvaged from the wreck, I thought that that leather was not calfskin at all, but rather deerskin. I was at the Cleverly shop last Fall, and they told me it was deerskin (and it looked like deerskin.)

Am I wrong on this? Or are you speaking of some other type of leather?

shoefan

Reaction score
As I recall from another thread (at Andy's?), it is from Reindeer calves. So it is a deer leather and a calf leather, just not the type we normally call calfskin (i.e. from veal calves).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads