• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
^How's that Mount Gay XO?
It's pretty good--on the sweeter end but subdued. I will note that I think they recently changed the formula because the age they're claiming and the bottle style is different. I preferred the old version (which is what I have and am referring to), which incidentally was around $30 and they want $40 for the new stuff, which isn't as a smooth IMO. At their current $40 asking price you can do better.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, I now have a bottle of Zacapa. The store was out of the El Dorado 15 (had the 12 and 21, though), and a cash-price special on the Zacapa, so it was an easy call.

Of course, said store also had 6 bottles of George T. Stagg, which I found it rather hard to walk by.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Okay, I now have a bottle of Zacapa. The store was out of the El Dorado 15 (had the 12 and 21, though), and a cash-price special on the Zacapa, so it was an easy call. Of course, said store also had 6 bottles of George T. Stagg, which I found it rather hard to walk by.
Welcome to the club! Post a review when you get a chance.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the club! Post a review when you get a chance.

Jeebus - now that I have a bottle of rum in the truck, the day is slowly creeeeeping along.

ffffuuuu.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Zacapa 23:

A year or so ago I made some rice pudding for the office. To give it a bit of flavor, I borrowed a fruitcake trick, and soaked some raisins in a healthy amount of dark rum. That then got stirred into the pudding as it cooled, and it was good.

Now I have this bottle of Zacapa, and raisins are the first thing to hit my nose. Goodness: it's a full candied-fruity sensation: full and rich and sweet - much more than any spirit I've tried. Easy-sipping neat, sweet but not cloying, zero bitterness. Damn good stuff.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zacapa good. Hunts endorse.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zacapa always hits me with a strong chocolate/cocoa flavor, which is a nice contrast from the strong vanilla flavor Zaya I drink the most. They truly are the chocolate and vanilla of premium rums, IMO.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boy you really must be sick
Originally Posted by Thomas
no kidding, - get well soon, Hunts!
<LOL> Thanks, guys....was just having a bit of a nutty there. Am going a leetle stir-crazy. Definitely feeling better though -- temp now at 99.5, so it will be the first night since Friday at < 102 and change. Very thankful. ~ H

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I dare not mix Zacapa with anything.

Most of the rest - now that I think of it: I don't really drink rum much, unless it's rum punch or some such.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do drink rum &amp; cokes a lot, and a really high quality rum will change/improve the taste of a rum &amp; coke, but it does obscure a lot of the depth in a Zaya or Zacapa. A good way to ease yourself into getting more of the character is to add some lime juice and ice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads