• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RTW trousers in Fox Flannel

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Where, preferably in the UK, can i procure some RTW trousers (ideally single pleat with button or buckle side adjusters, but i'll take what i can get) made up in a variety (or ideally, my choice) of Fox cloths ?
I'd like to avoid remortgaging my house here; i can work with an off the peg trouser that my tailor can take in or out and hem...but I was quoted £1k for a RTW, which is just far too much.
What are my options?
While i think i've decided that Fox is the cloth i'm after (the colours are just incredible - i'm after their char brown and a heavy ecru/cream flannel that hold their crease and drape well), I'd be open to alternatives.
Many thanks all, as always.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,
Where, preferably in the UK, can i procure some RTW trousers (ideally single pleat with button or buckle side adjusters, but i'll take what i can get) made up in a variety (or ideally, my choice) of Fox cloths ?
I'd like to avoid remortgaging my house here; i can work with an off the peg trouser that my tailor can take in or out and hem...but I was quoted £1k for a RTW, which is just far too much.
What are my options?
While i think i've decided that Fox is the cloth i'm after (the colours are just incredible - i'm after their char brown and a heavy ecru/cream flannel that hold their crease and drape well), I'd be open to alternatives.
Many thanks all, as always.
I haven't seen or heard of any RTW brand in the UK using Fox flannel. Mostly because it's expensive as hell.

Your options are to have something made bespoke/MTM or go with a different cloth. Check out Kit Blake for ready to wear. Cad & The Dandy do an affordable 'bespoke' trouser that is priced at £400-500 from memory where you can obviously get Fox Flannel should you wish. I haven't used them myself but I've heard mostly good things, fairly quick turnaround at 4-5 weeks. In any case, a pair of trousers is a fairly low-risk commission so you could give it a go.

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
I haven't seen or heard of any RTW brand in the UK using Fox flannel. Mostly because it's expensive as hell.

Your options are to have something made bespoke/MTM or go with a different cloth. Check out Kit Blake for ready to wear. Cad & The Dandy do an affordable 'bespoke' trouser that is priced at £400-500 from memory where you can obviously get Fox Flannel should you wish. I haven't used them myself but I've heard mostly good things, fairly quick turnaround at 4-5 weeks. In any case, a pair of trousers is a fairly low-risk commission so you could give it a go.
Thank you vm. Given it is so expensive, how do the high street brands manage to use their cloth on garments that are reasonably priced?
E.g.
* Cordings' covert coat at £595
* various Hackett suits and jackets at similar prices (see picture)
* various Jack Wills jackets over the years

Are these perhaps using 'second line' cloths by Fox that are cheaper and/or of inferior quality? Or did the brands cut them a great deal in bulk or for brand recognition, etc?

Perhaps my best bet is to buy the cloth and find myself a reasonably priced tailor who can make them from scratch...? How much cloth do i need for a 30/32 sized trouser?

(I've had Kit Blake trousers but they don't have the 'char brown' shade i'm looking for unfortuantely)
1705860726144.png

1705860747851.png

1705860786209.png

1705860814149.png

1705860871557.png

Attachments

• 1705861003474.png
    1705861003474.png
    317.2 KB · Views: 104

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps my best bet is to buy the cloth and find myself a reasonably priced tailor who can make them from scratch...? How much cloth do i need for a 30/32 sized trouser?
Buying the cloth yourself (from the Merchant Fox) will be more expensive than a tailor ordering it for you when you commission a pair of trousers. Pick a tailor and choose the cloth you want from the Fox Classic flannel bunch you're after, they are bound to have it.

Graham Brown in the City do make affordable bespoke trousers but it's a little hit-and-miss with them in my experience in terms of customer service, sticking to an agreed timeline, and attention to detail. Still, I have one very decent pair of trousers they made for me in 13oz Fox flannel as it happens.

Cad & The Dandy is another reasonably affordable option. I'm sure there are others too.

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Buying the cloth yourself (from the Merchant Fox) will be more expensive than a tailor ordering it for you when you commission a pair of trousers. Pick a tailor and choose the cloth you want from the Fox Classic flannel bunch you're after, they are bound to have it.

Graham Brown in the City do make affordable bespoke trousers but it's a little hit-and-miss with them in my experience in terms of customer service, sticking to an agreed timeline, and attention to detail. Still, I have one very decent pair of trousers they made for me in 13oz Fox flannel as it happens.

Cad & The Dandy is another reasonably affordable option. I'm sure there are others too.
Thank you very much for the recommendation, i have enquired and will try to see them next week.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads