• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rory Duffy Bespoke - A Savile Row master tailor in NYC

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what exactly happened here? Radio silence on the part of Montauk (who continues to post on ASW) makes one wonder...

Rory Duffy

Reaction score
Will be back soon with more on "The Making of a Coat" series in the New Year with a longer running time, detailed explanations and further advancement on the coat.
The series has been a success for us both, which unfortunately has resulted in less time to dedicate to this project.

Andy (Montauk) and I have parted on good terms, I wish him every success for the future.

Have teamed up with a new videotographer and new a sponsor who had generously offered to cover the editing costs.

"The Making of a coat" season one, shows Andy's artistic talent and creative genius with a camera, do hope that Season two will be as impressive.

From the moment I conceived the idea of this series, while apprenticing at Henry Poole, it's has been my intention and privilege to share Savile row tailoring with the world.

With so many viewers who rely on this series to help further advance their knowledge of Handcraft tailoring, I owe it to them to keep this project alive and see to its natural conclusion.

Thank you for watching.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought Montauk was just a client, not working with you.

I believe Montauk worked tirelessly to destroy Rory. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Montauk

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone here who has expressed their appreciation for "The Making of a Coat."

I remain passionately proud of the work I put into the series, but I'm afraid that Mr. Duffy and I were unable to agree on the conditions of its completion. For those who care to delve into the whole sad story, I've posted it here.

The series -- including the essays I wrote to accompany each episode's premier on A Suitable Wardrobe, can now be found on my newly launched website: www.thewholecloth.com.

AY

Angeland

Reaction score
Crazy thought: anyone seen a range of this tailor's work product? Especially with the sort of things one might wear to work? I myself don't wear a lot of kilts, but I do wear wool flannel suits.

I really liked the video series and also the Rory character as presented in them, and I have about 5 yards of really neat cloth I brought back from Europe lately and nobody in my town with whom I would trust it. I like the idea of helping a young person get started, too.

And for what it is worth, my hope is that both parties in the debate that took over this thread are in a better place. Business affiliations and partnerships don't always end well, and they really don't always end well when they start off as a good idea between friends and not an auspicious idea between personally disinterested professionals who know what is and is not likely to work. Even then, money can get lost. Feelings can get hurt. Things can be said. You want to keep that to yourself and move on unless there is a lot of money involved and your lawyers think an amount substantially greater than their fees and court costs can be recovered by making a bigger deal of it. My recollection of New York artisanal cooperations is that they often end badly for the simple reason that each partner is, at the end of the day, asking the other to perform work for something they can't pay the rent with. Rent always wins, and so the thing you are asking the other guy to do in exchange for what you are doing for him get bumped for paying contracts. It is what it is.

So has anyone commissioned Rory Duffy and seen what he can do?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crazy thought: anyone seen a range of this tailor's work product? Especially with the sort of things one might wear to work? I myself don't wear a lot of kilts, but I do wear wool flannel suits.

I really liked the video series and also the Rory character as presented in them, and I have about 5 yards of really neat cloth I brought back from Europe lately and nobody in my town with whom I would trust it. I like the idea of helping a young person get started, too.

And for what it is worth, my hope is that both parties in the debate that took over this thread are in a better place. Business affiliations and partnerships don't always end well, and they really don't always end well when they start off as a good idea between friends and not an auspicious idea between personally disinterested professionals who know what is and is not likely to work. Even then, money can get lost. Feelings can get hurt. Things can be said. You want to keep that to yourself and move on unless there is a lot of money involved and your lawyers think an amount substantially greater than their fees and court costs can be recovered by making a bigger deal of it. My recollection of New York artisanal cooperations is that they often end badly for the simple reason that each partner is, at the end of the day, asking the other to perform work for something they can't pay the rent with. Rent always wins, and so the thing you are asking the other guy to do in exchange for what you are doing for him get bumped for paying contracts. It is what it is.

So has anyone commissioned Rory Duffy and seen what he can do?

I have yet to see any pictures of someone wearing his stuff but I have been told (possibly in this thread) it does indeed exist.

Montauk

Reaction score
I actually introduced Rory to Josh Stein years ago in my home. Thought he might be able help Rory out. Too little too late, I guess.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of help does he need to be successful?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$5-6k is a tough price point for someone just starting out because he is competing with Logsdail, who is local, not to mention all the SR firms that visit.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...or-and-yet-he-can-t-make-a-decent-living.html
Rory Duffy Is New York City’s Finest Tailor, but He Can’t Make a Decent Living

The award-winning Rory Duffy says Americans, long accustomed to lower-priced made-to-measure menswear, are blind to the beauties of bespoke clothing.
“Bespoke is bench-made by one tailor,” he says, “and made-to-measure is factory made. Nobody really wants to say they’re doing made-to-measure, but they are. I was the only one who could do true bespoke.”
He will return to Ireland to teach his methods in the workshop of his old master, Joseph Martin. He’ll alternate months in New York but, he says, he too will send much of his production abroad—not to Asia but back to Ireland, to County Monaghan, where he’ll rely on a workshop of tailors trained in the old ways.
So a factory then?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads