• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rory Duffy Bespoke - A Savile Row master tailor in NYC

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a Rory Duffy double breasted.
Well i not doubt his manual skill...but the silhouette of this DB is ugly,
5000$ for this?

The client could be 6 foot 5 with a gut for all you know, throwing the silhouette off when it's on a mannequin that fits a 40r. This is not a rtw garment.... The pockets aren't to mine, and probably a lot of peoples tastes but that has little relevance on a bespoke garment, with details chosen presumably by the client.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect most tailors don't know how to showcase their work in pics, especially not to the standards of the iGentry.

That, and when discussing a silhouette, it should be noted that it refers to the specific outline of a design only. Not the actually details or techniques.

A straight on shot would work best in dissecting a suit's silhouette...

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct above re silhouette.

@taxgenius I'd strongly suspect that a small bespoke operation wouldn't have the kind of money and definitely not the kind of time to make sample garments purely to put on a mannequin for show, so they show off whatever they can.

@carpu65 I don't think anyone has those kind of pockets as a house style (well I hope not).

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@carpu65 I don't think anyone has those kind of pockets as a house style (well I hope not).

Maurice Sedwell does (meaning hacking pockets with flaps cut to be level to the floor). Or, more to the point, Andrew Ramroop developed them and thinks they are quite cool. He may have, in fact, been the first as I haven't seem them anywhere earlier. In any event, it is likely that is where Duffy got the idea, directly or indirectly.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Correct above re silhouette.

@taxgenius I'd strongly suspect that a small bespoke operation wouldn't have the kind of money and definitely not the kind of time to make sample garments purely to put on a mannequin for show, so they show off whatever they can.

Absolutely, You show off what you can or what you have.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

carpu65

Reaction score
Is a nice jacket (and i like a style more built)... Pity only for the low gorge.

PS.
The collar on back,sever only because the guy with the glass hava a hand on the shoulder of Mr Yamato?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is a nice jacket (and i like a style more built)... Pity only for the low gorge.

PS.
The collar on back,sever only because the guy with the glass hava a hand on the shoulder of Mr Yamato?

His head is leaning forward a bit.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a well fitting jacket, and I'm sure if it was a bespoke tradgedy he wouldn't be socializing with it on while being photographed. It's also nice to see a structured garment on the Styleforum the jacket doesn't make him look like a linebacker. I think there is too much group think for soft shoulders/tailoring. Each one has its place.

Last edited:

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks like a well fitting jacket, and I'm sure if it was a bespoke tradgedy he wouldn't be socializing with it on while being photographed. It's also nice to see a structured garment on the Styleforum the jacket doesn't make him look like a linebacker. I think there is too much group think for soft shoulders/tailoring. Each one has its place.

I am thinking about setting up a thread for pictures of structured English tailoring. Was thinking of calling it "The Empire Strikes Back".

Last edited:

Rory Duffy

Reaction score

This is a Rory Duffy double breasted.
Well i not doubt his manual skill...but the silhouette of this DB is ugly,
5000$ for this?
This suit is not part of my Handcrafted suit line, as i made it as a personal garment while working on the row. Not a silhouette shot, rather to show the pocket details as an option as well as the smoked pearl buttons. As for the shape, the difference between my SB and DB is 3" on the front edge, so the nipped waist you see on my avatar is the same in this coat visible from a straight on shot ,which this clearly isn't.
Dopey got it, saw this detail in Sedwells window and used it. Don't think Andrew Ramproo designed it, Savile row have been making "Delta" pockets since the '60's, according to the presser at Pooles.
The pocket are slanted and the pocket edge is straight to follow the hem line, the Ticket pocket above the right cross pocket is straight with a slanted flap to complete the look.

Its not a house style just another one of the endless options available to my clients

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads