• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rob Zombie to butcher the Halloween series yet again

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
August 28th the remake of Halloween 2 comes out. Rob Zombie's remake of the first was one of the biggest hack jobs I have seen. Hopefully he manages to pull off something a little more deserving, because this was a great series back in the day.

Sherlockian

Reaction score
A great series? The first was classic, the second OK, the third a lame nonsequitur...and after that I lost the will to live, which I suppose is a filmmaking achievement in itself.

I kinda liked the extra backstory elements (i.e. the original bits) of the remake. It only went downhill after he offed Danny Trejo.

Mike

Reaction score
^ Yeah, that.

The first two were awesome, and dare I say genre defining. After that, meh. You really think Halloween H20 was better than the remake by Rob Zombie?

I understand the vitrol. When I heard that there was a remake in the works I was pissed. I never saw his "House of 1000 Corpses" but did watch "The Devil's Rejects" at a friend's place. Sure, it was creepy but it was creepy in the "slasher Appreciation" variety. So when I heard about his version of Halloween I was worried. But I thought he did a pretty good job with it when I caught it on HBO{I was angry with the Danny Trejo killing too, but it did set up that Michael had absolutly no concern for life what so ever}.

The thing that got me, and still gets me in a lot of remakes and new movies, especially horror and suspense movies is the need to give some sort of psychological reason for it all. Like in the new Halloween, they set up that his mom was a whore, his mom's boyfriend was abusive, he was teased by both classmates and family, so that's why he became a killer. Yes, in real life this happens. However, the original was a little better because there was no direct reason given in the film for Michael Myers to become a killer. Was it his witnessing his sister getting it on with the guy at the begining, was it problems at home, was he wired differently? We don't know, but we do know he's a friggin' psycho and he's trying to take out Jamie Lee Curtis. We don't know why he's doing it, he could be around any corner, holy crap there's another guy that he killed!

That rant being said, I didn't think it was a bad reimaging, and I'll probably check out the next one.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike
You really think Halloween H20 was better than the remake by Rob Zombie?

Well, I only saw Rob's remake once, a long time ago. I just remember it was bad. H20, been a long time as well. I'd feel unprepared to answer that without watching them both again. Rob's remake had too much of a white trash element to the characters. Had no basis in the original movie. It was his take, I just didn't like it.

Jbreen1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really liked Rob Zombie's version. I like all of his movies. I dunno I guess I have a horrible taste in movies but I really enjoyed it and am excited about the new one.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mike
I understand the vitrol. When I heard that there was a remake in the works I was pissed. I never saw his "House of 1000 Corpses" but did watch "The Devil's Rejects" at a friend's place. Sure, it was creepy but it was creepy in the "slasher Appreciation" variety. So when I heard about his version of Halloween I was worried. But I thought he did a pretty good job with it when I caught it on HBO{I was angry with the Danny Trejo killing too, but it did set up that Michael had absolutly no concern for life what so ever}.

I loved both of his original movies. House of 1000 Corpses was a great take on the old slasher flicks, and Devil's Rejects was a great follow up. If you liked Devil's Rejects at all, I really think seeing HO1kC would help you enjoy Devil's Rejects more. HO1kC was the horror film, Devil's Rejects was the story of what happened to the family afterwards.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
House of 1000 Corpses was awesome.

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
Hrmm.. I think I'll pass on this one..
eh.gif
sarcasm.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was never a big Halloween fan, which is shocking b/c I love John Carpenter. Big Trouble in Little China? **** yeah! The Thing? Even better! Prince of Darkness? Best of all! But Halloween? Blah. I thought Zombie's Halloween was okay...but nothing to write home about either. Certainly no worse than the original at least.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved Devil's Rejects. I cant believe that guy who played the Sheriff wasn't in more movies, or at least voice acting. His voice is great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads