• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rlpl Mackay Captoe Soles

NMW1982

Reaction score
Can anyone post a picture of the soles of their RLPL Mackay captoe shoes? I am thinking of buying a pair, but I would like to see the soles before I commit. Thanks for your help.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
Can anyone post a picture of the soles of their RLPL Mackay captoe shoes? I am thinking of buying a pair, but I would like to see the soles before I commit. Thanks for your help.

Which color? Dark oak or black? I have one of each and the soles are different from one another.

NMW1982

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. But could someone post some pictures of their worn/broken in Mackays? Some shoes hold up better than others and I would like to see how these shoes look when they are broken in.

Also, I know these shoes are made by Edward Green, but how are they compared to true EG's? Given that the Mackays are $850, should I just use the money to purchase a pair of original EG's? Thanks for the advice.

johnnynorman

Reaction score
smile.gif
They break in fine, just fine. They get better with age.

The RLPL EGs are the same as any regular EGs. In fact, they are a better value because, at least at this point, they are $850 including the shoe trees, whereas at Saks you have to pay over $900 without the shoe trees.

The MacKays are gorgeous. If you are looking to buy a great shoe and have the money, don't hesitate.

NMW1982

Reaction score
Would someone mind posting some pictures for me to see? A picture is worth a thousand words...

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually they are not exactly the same. First the RL trees are lacquered and thus less effective at wicking moisture, but they are included in the price and based on the 888 last, unlike the ~$100 EG trees based on the 202 last and with a hole on each. Plus, the lining on the two are different; I believe jcusey opined that the RL lining might be slightly inferior.

Not really sure what you're looking for with the soles. It depends much on how we/you use the shoes, for how long, and how we each walk. If you see mine, you might think that the toes wear abnormally quick, but that's my problem, not the shoes. The leather soles are some of the best found on RTW shoes.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RLPL trees are based on the last of the shoe whether it be 888, 89, or other.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Mackays are 888-based, so the trees for it are correct (based on the markings of the tree). Tony Gaziano, the designer of the 888, also recognized the Mackays as 888-based shoes when he saw mine, but he did comment that the RLPL shoetrees are inferior to the ones EG offers --- the wood is lighter and of lower quality, and easier to break, especially where the hinge is attached to the wood. He was equivocal about lacquered vs. unfinished, and leaves that choice up to his customers.

The silver ink indicating size inside the Mackay has also faded away in a few wearings, while the EG ink seems to be more durable.

--Andre

drljva

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982

I know this has been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to find it:

What is the EG model that is equivalent to the RLPL MacKay?

Thanks.

darkoak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drljva
I know this has been asked and answered before, but I can't seem to find it:

What is the EG model that is equivalent to the RLPL MacKay?

Thanks.

Asquith

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads