• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Polo is unravelling... No variable sleeve lengths anymore

Insight

Reaction score
For the prices being bandied about here, you could go MTM or bespoke with middle to higher-end shirting cloth. Just saying.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, this is a crappy day for those of us who like RL and who have long arms. Having to shorten OTR shirt sleeves has never been an issue for me. Just the opposite.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Insight
For the prices being bandied about here, you could go MTM or bespoke with middle to higher-end shirting cloth. Just saying.

Exactly. Now that quite a few MTM places are stocking Thomas Mason silver and gold lines, I suspect quite a few SF stypes will be driven into the loving arms of the MTM shirtmakers.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The blue label shirts are mostly **** anyway in my opinion. Don't get me started on that stupid polo player.

Not necessarily. The Regent shirts that retail for $150 are very decent quality with MOP buttons and no polo player on the chest. I often pick these up for around $50 and spend maybe $40 on alterations and have a shirt that fits great for under $100.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I had one of those but passed it on to Octomom so she had a paternity shirt that fit.

Matt S

Reaction score
The blue label shirts are mostly **** anyway in my opinion. Don't get me started on that stupid polo player.

I don't think any of the dress shirts have the polo player on them. Only the button-downs.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The point is, none of RL's shirts will be offered with variable sleeve length. You were once able to even get the basic polo-player-ornamented shirts (which I don't care for either) with a precise sleeve length. They got rid of that and left the option only on the higher end (now $145 - $175) Regent shirts. Now even these will come in one sleeve length.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only buy the ones that are over $125 retail and they've held up very well, I have some that are 2-3 years old with regular use that still look new. I usually buy the shirts that are $145-$175, but some of my summer seasonal shirts are $125.
Originally Posted by EBugatti
The store manager advised against shortening more than 1.5" (at least using the in-house tailor), and for which service he will charge $10--whether purchased at full retail or on sale.
Originally Posted by jamesbond
I've used 3 tailors that have all said the same thing.
Dont know what the deal is with this, but my tailor has no problem moving the sleeve placket, I ALWAYS have them move it because I hate short sleeve plackets which make pressing the cuff very annoying. That is unless you press them while buttoned like at the $1 cheapie cleaners. If the cuffs are sized right you wont have to change the sleeve length unless they're too long by a few inches, infact I like my sleeves a little long with cuffs that are sized large enough to fit over my watch by slim enough not to show past my wrist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads