• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Black Label to merge with Purple Label

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi,

May I know if current Polo Ralph Lauren suit still worth to buy for the price they charge?(what about on sale) ? I think they are not even half-canvassed. 

Is there any difference in quality between made  by Corneliani in Italy and Slovakia(current lines) ?

All replies are welcome. 

Thank you in advance 

Not worth it. Fabric is off quite a lot and many cost cutting is evident on the non Italian suits.

BaronFizzwell

Reaction score
From everything that I've read, Polo makes its profits from very regular stuff - polo shirts, T shirts, underwear, and by selling these into very ordinary large department stores and outlet malls. The Purple Label and RRL brands as well as showcases like the Mansion on Madison Avenue in NYC, loose money and are there to add appeal and enhance the perception of the RL lifestyle. I think it is remarkable how PRL has been able to continue its mainstream popularity. What an amazing accomplishment. Almost all of the major fashion brands go in and out of mainstream appeal. But RL keeps growing.

It is interesting to see the evolution of RRL from more old west to depression era WPA and WWII. Pretty soon it will run out of decades to emulate.

As someone who has had a long-term business built on responding to lifestyle trends, I'm baffled by what the next "act" will be for the RRL look. Perhaps it will circle back to Southwest/Colorado ranch? But the Urban Lumberjack and Tailored 30's style doesn't seem to have much more mileage. Most of all, I don't see much younger guys joining that look.

Early 70's California surfer style could be an excellent next step. But all of this is just me speculating. I certainly have no magic inside insight into the dealings of Ralph & Co.

I wonder what he could possibly use next as well. While some of the suggestions seem viable, they would have to fit with the RRL ethos of workwear, "the enduring spirit of the American worker" or something like that. Any leisure activities might not fit that.

I did think he'd jumped the shark a bit with the Scott Base adventure series. It's like he's become the J. Peterman of RRL.

If he is doing other decades of workwear, there could be more emphasis on the 1950s racing culture, something that's been hinted at with some of the mechanics' jackets etc. To bring this thread back full circle, if Black Label goes away, the racing aesthetic would need somewhere to go, maybe. I'm thinking mechanics jackets, overalls, denim, and what James Dean and his co racers might have worn to a chickie run. But again, that's all speculation.

I like what a writer commented in an article I read recently about the epidemic of the 1900s wax moustache/goldminer look. She wondered how far back this trend would go, and if she'd go on a Tinder date to find the guy dressed in a full 18th century costume, a la Lestat from Interview with the Vampire. As well as the fact that she was obviously being humorous, if anything, I'd say that RRL would move forward in history, not backwards ... IF it survives!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If he is doing other decades of workwear, there could be more emphasis on the 1950s racing culture, something that's been hinted at with some of the mechanics' jackets etc. To bring this thread back full circle, if Black Label goes away, the racing aesthetic would need somewhere to go, maybe. I'm thinking mechanics jackets, overalls, denim, and what James Dean and his co racers might have worn to a chickie run. But again, that's all speculation.

I definitely think that the racing aesthetic will stay, since I'm guessing that comes from RL's love of classic cars. On that note, I highly doubt it would go from "driver" to "mechanic" style. Much of that (in particular, the leather jackets) can probably fit fine into the PL stuff.

JP Marcellino

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
RL is a great NY brand, they have always had me since the 80's with the Polo shirts, even though they don't seem to be popular here on SF.

Someone mentioned they are restructuring, that is interesting and exciting to see what they develop. I think they are working hard at putting a good and genuine product out. I had some of their people come down to my shop a few months ago interested in making some of their leather bags in NY. Not only that but to also get the leather from America. I thought it was great to see a major brand like this, maybe come back to its NY roots. I know they are doing some of their suits upstate and the whole Olympics sweater thing was an American made push, so good for them for at least still searching for quality materials and manufacturing.

I normally won't build for other brands but for them I'd do it in a heart beat even though I would probably have to take a severe price cut.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally find that the Ralph Lauren Black Label Anthony cut fits me perfectly off the rack! Not ridiculously strong in the shoulders either, but some may disagree here perhaps.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ this one was on sale at DJs few years ago right? Kicking myself for not buying.

BaronFizzwell

Reaction score
Quote:
Did you see the recent updates to the RRL pages on the Ralph Lauren Website?

Looks like the Salt Flats proved this motor sports prediction to be right.

I do maintain that it would cover the mechanic side of things though, vs strictly just the driver. Remember that RRL isn't meant to be "luxe". The ideology is the testament to the American pioneer/working class spirit and tenacity, which is more the experimental driver/mechanic than the sponsored, privileged racer. Although the wealthy driver thing would be more Black Label/Purple Label.

Where next for the label though ... they're pounding the naval thing as well, so it's not like there would be a collection based on Jacques Cousteau's ocean voyages ... or could there ... ?

Last edited:

etb

Reaction score
Just returned from my local RL store--40% off on BL. Was told that PL and BL would merge into a "Lux" line and that the Anthony cut suit would be available within the new line, albeit priced closer to $2500 vice the current $1900. Justification given for the higher price: better fabrics.

Last edited:

Dmanf51

Reaction score
Just returned from my local RL store--40% off on BL. Was told that PL and BL would merge into a "Lux" line and that the Anthony cut suit would be available within the new line, albeit priced closer to $2500 vice the current $1900. Justification given for the higher price: better fabrics.

I really hope they keep the entry to the Lux line at the current BL Anthony price but after hearing that I'm not as optimistic. Polo prices have dropped but if Lux (new RLPL) goes up they'll be a big gap in getting customers to that line. Would be nice if they kept the Anthony in both lines but with cheaper fabrics in Polo.

mrrich

Reaction score
Was having a pair of PRL made in Italy Flannel Trousers tailored at the RL Flagship in Boston yesterday. My favorite SA implored me to purchase a BL suit before they ran out. I asked how much the new RLPL would be and what its quality was compared to BL. Tried on an Anthony Cut "RLPL" Blazer, fit exactly like a BL Anthony, same if not better Fabric, $2500, about on par with the highest echelon of BL pricing. Also looked at the new Anthony "RLPL" suit, material and cut was identical to old-stock BL, addition of ticket pocket was the only visible difference, priced at $2299, on par with the higher end of the BL line. I assume these will be discounted from time to time, shouldn't be a total loss of great suits for a good price during sale season, now to wait and see how strong the range of fabrics are at this price point.

Going to wait an get the new RLPL line for the suit.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This should answer the question as to the starting price of the new RLPL "entry" suits:

http://www.barneys.com/ralph-lauren...brand&prefv1=Ralph+Lauren+Black+Label&start=1

I don't see a ticket pocket, but the one visual difference I do see are side tabs below the waistband, which make me wonder if the new ones have a slightly longer rise (hoping). Also, when staring at racks of suits, trying to differentiate "new" PL from "traditional" ($4k+) PL, look at the sleeve basting. The "entry" suits have one row of stitching which runs parallel to the sleeve itself, while the higher end ones have an "L" shaped basting.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not too bad of a price point as the last line of RLBL was around $1995. I only have a couple of the suits but they do fit very well. There was one at the Mansion that I wanted but the discount wasn't too great.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's not too bad of a price point as the last line of RLBL was around $1995. I only have a couple of the suits but they do fit very well. There was one at the Mansion that I wanted but the discount wasn't too great.

That's pretty much where most of the non-staple suits have started for a couple of seasons. I think some staples were still $1,795-1,895, and maybe there were some seasonal ones at that price, but most were a bit higher. Of course, now it'll be easier to talk people into spending the extra $100 for working sleeve buttons since the buttons aren't affixed from the beginning (which I'm sure was the diabolical plan all along :devil:).

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's pretty much where most of the non-staple suits have started for a couple of seasons. I think some staples were still $1,795-1,895, and maybe there were some seasonal ones at that price, but most were a bit higher. Of course, now it'll be easier to talk people into spending the extra $100 for working sleeve buttons since the buttons aren't affixed from the beginning (which I'm sure was the diabolical plan all along :devil:).

$100? They used to be $80...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads