• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RL Black Label to merge with Purple Label

pwc008

Reaction score
I believe that the Slovakia made suits are indeed still made by Corneliani - based on what I have read around the internet.

The fit and finish of my Slovakia made suit is very, very good on me. Please understand, I am 57, 5'8" tall and weigh 195. For ANY suit to look good on me is almost a miracle. This one does. I wish I knew what model of Polo suit I bought at Bloomies in 2007 - you guys would most likely be able to elaborate on it. It has narrow lapels, narrow trousers, belt loops, yet is still roomy in the shoulders where I have issues. And it is a 44R. On virtually all RL now, I have to go to a 46R. Thankfully, with the shorter lengths, I do not need to shorten the jackets.

I also "see" no discernible drop in quality in Polo suits despite the "down market" approach, which I also believe to be correct based on what I have read elsewhere.

Now if only Polo would re-introduce the double forward pleated dress chino that was a staple in Polo for about 40 years, I would be very happy. For the younger members, it is what Woody Allen wears in Annie Hall and Manhattan. Flat fronted versions also existed. The Philip trouser is also discontinued, according to what one SA told me.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's actually much better to have them unfinished. A decent store includes adjusting the sleeves and adding buttons. eBay purchases of course do not include this. I mentally figure the tailoring into the equation when I buy.

Just took the RLBL sharkskin suit to the tailor. It will be just over $100 total Imthmk after a minor sleeve adjustment as well as the pants. Well worth it.

IMO, the best was what RL did with the old BL suits: attach the sleeve buttons for convenience, but have the cuff such that working buttonholes were possible. But yes, on full-price merchandise, button attachment will generally be included (though at best you'll get fake buttonholes, not working).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've started to shy away from working buttonholes on my suits. I think they look much better on sport coats for some reason. That and the $200 it costs to have my tailor put them in!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barneys Warehouse has many RLBL suits and tuxes on deep discount today. Plenty of sizes.

michaelvl

Reaction score
In Europe the prices of PL have gone up quite a bit, I find myself purchasing less PL since the price increase. About a year ago casual pants used to be generally priced at 295 euro, now 345 or 395 seems to be the new standard. Ashton and Keaton shirts used to be priced at around 325 euro now they are generally offered at 395.

I used to purchase a lot of PL even at full retail, stuff that I liked and knew that sell out in my size and not be available during a sale and had no problem with that. Nowadays I just pass or kop something on eBay because although PL is my preferred clothing brand, I just find it too expensive.

Curious to know what others think of the price increase and if their gear is worth what they are asking for it.

pwc008

Reaction score
Responding to the above post, my issue with Purple Label now is not the price per se, but rather the fitting of the garments. Recently, about 2 months ago, I tried on a 46R suit jacket (Spring 2016 item on sale) at Barneys here in San Francisco and the garment was too tight in the shoulders for me. However, in Los Angeles about a month later, I tried on another 46R suit, this time a Fall 2016 item, and it fit beautifully in the shoulders. Apparently, there are more than or even two models within the PL line that fit differently. And, for the record, I have a 1997 era Banana Republic made in Italy sportcoat in a 40R which still fits me. Equally, I have a Neiman Marcus branded Oxxford sportcoat in a 41R which also still fits me.

I have really come to loathe the size manipulation in means wear over the last 15 years.

Quarks

Reaction score
I guess whether I decide to purchase a RLPL is first of all what it has to offer and price comes very close after. I do buy RLPL full price selectively - depending on its exclusivity. How do one justify purchasing luxury goods with the price tag that comes with it? A hard question to answer. But exclusivity plays an important role to some (in my case, it does), so does quality of the product.
If RLPL decides to increase its price, it better be done so with the quality of the product. Or else, I am looking elsewhere. Oh, and by the way, I was just told that RLPL suit fabric are sourced from Loro Piana - just slipping this info in between.....

RLPL caters to a niche customer base and apparently is not doing very well down-under here in Australia. (High priced RLPL have been moving very slowly). I don't think it is doing well in Singapore either (all these are based on my own observations and speaking to SAs) - considered that heavy discounts had to be made to move products. I understand that RLPL in London is doing relatively well. Perhaps also in Hong Kong. I am not even sure now that merging RLBL to RLPL will be a successful move.

Again based on my own observations - a lot of luxury companies are now focusing more on "luxury casuals" (ie. $800 sneakers; $1000 cashmere sweat pants") as opposed to "luxury formal wear". ie. Tom Ford/ Brioni/ Berluti/ E. Zegna. Is RLPL following that direction, I don't know. But I can't say I have been too impressed with "luxury casuals" - if this is what one would call it - but after 2 years, I am warming up to it - not necessary condoning it by patronising them. But our times have changed in recent years, with younger buyers chipping into luxury goods by droves.

Back to the question, will be price affect my potential to buy? Sure it will. But if the product speaks for itself in terms of fit/ quality/ exclusivity - then I may not hesitate as much. As a consumer, I have a sea of options elsewhere, or do I?

daddyblitz

Reaction score
Does anyone know the fit for RLPL savile row suits?
Soft or strong shoulders?
I have someone selling me online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads