Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ridiculous fashion trends

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CushyCouture, Oct 21, 2012.

1. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

That is a lot of nostalgia for something that isn't true for the most part. Pretty much every subculture has its norms and always has, whether punks or hippies, etc...

Frankly the thing I find most amusing is the massive derision for hipsters in a thread that basically is celebrating conformity.

2. Patek

Patek Senior member

^

What he said--and I live in hipsterville.

I think hipsters are just hippies without a cause. There is nothing emo about them.

3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

It did come off as a sweeping generalization. I was more echoing/piggy-backing off of PSG's statements about doing things they "thought were cool." My B.

Up until your quoted post I was not so subtly poking fun at that very notion. And the fact that SF is a lot like the "hipster" movement. We readily pull knowledge that no one has even thought to consider. We fancy ourselves experts and tastemakers but feel our insights can only be truly appreciated by a select few. We passive-aggressively mock our own insistence on perfection or a "universally" agreed-upon standard. And we continually fight self-hate to the point that we cover our faces in pictures we post, even though they serve the explicit purpose of impressing strangers and creating authority.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

4. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

This wins thread award.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012

5. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

What I think is dead...
    - Camo
    - Super slim fit anything
    - High water trousers
    - Bright chinos with darker contrasting tops
    - Skinny lapels
    - Wearing dress shoes without socks (gag)

What I want to be dead...
    - Fair isle anything
    - Low rise pants
    - Dress boots
    - Quilted jackets
    - Knit ties

6. JapanAlex01

You know what we all certainly need (whether we all know it or not) are some FUCKING HIGH-RISE JEANS!

7. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

I think the difference between hipsters and SF-ers is that hipsters celebrate non-conformity, but are the epitome of conformity because of it (but would deny that fact).

SF-ers are happily conforming to a set of rules (generally...I speak not of those that deliberately throw out rules that don't suit them - I suspect they are closet hipsters), but like to throw a bit of individuality into those rules (perhaps a small bit of sprezzatura or some other thing to set them ever-so-slightly apart from the baseline rule book.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

You may not have noticed, but so was my reply... [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Publius

Publius Active Member

Breeches that go below the knee bother me. It's just unnatural, men should be wearing striped trunk hose. Seriously, though, there is a difference between having an opinion and acting as if certain clothing styles are innately superior and not a social construct.

10. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

:fu:

11. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

12. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

A. They buy trendy LED light bulbs, that don't need to be changed.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not sure I agree, but could you clarify on this? It seems you are suggesting that hipsterity is about the extent one deviates from the norm (provided an adequate and conscious understanding of that norm) rather than the motivation behind that deviation.

14. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

I was trying to make the point that hipsters try to be unique in that they are interested in obscure and esoteric things/ideas/music and have no interest in the mainstream.

However, in doing so, they share those interests with other hipsters. This makes them a group of people conforming to non-conformity.

Anyway, I was trying to be humorous, rather than getting into a deep philosophical discussion of hipsters.

I recall seeing a sketch (that I think was posted on here) that said hipsters liked only obscure bands, and if they were finally successful, hipsters accused them of selling out.

Reminds me of some people with tattoos and/or piercings who go on and on about how unique and individual they are, and then hang out with a bunch of other people with tattoos and piercings.

15. JapanAlex01

God, hipster-ism is so easy (it's in the name, duh!): It's about being cool; there are tendencies (clichés) amongst hipsters--like eye-rolling 24/7, track bikes (while not being a serious biker or on a track), ironic moustaches, greasy hair (that's bohemian, dude), tight jeans (which has bled into pop culture *shudders*), etc, etc.

Ironic, in the sense of hipster-ism, is about doing/wearing something, etc, that is meant to be a joke, but secretly the hipster is trying to be cool from his lack of non-conformity/uniqueness. EG: ironic moustaches.

Done. *Brushes off hands and walks away*