1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ridiculous fashion trends

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CushyCouture, Oct 21, 2012.

1. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

You know what we all certainly need (whether we all know it or not) are some FUCKING HIGH-RISE JEANS!

2. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

I think the difference between hipsters and SF-ers is that hipsters celebrate non-conformity, but are the epitome of conformity because of it (but would deny that fact).

SF-ers are happily conforming to a set of rules (generally...I speak not of those that deliberately throw out rules that don't suit them - I suspect they are closet hipsters), but like to throw a bit of individuality into those rules (perhaps a small bit of sprezzatura or some other thing to set them ever-so-slightly apart from the baseline rule book.

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

You may not have noticed, but so was my reply... [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Publius

Publius Active Member

Breeches that go below the knee bother me. It's just unnatural, men should be wearing striped trunk hose. Seriously, though, there is a difference between having an opinion and acting as if certain clothing styles are innately superior and not a social construct.

5. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

:fu:

6. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Great read thanks guys!:fu:

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

A. They buy trendy LED light bulbs, that don't need to be changed.

8. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not sure I agree, but could you clarify on this? It seems you are suggesting that hipsterity is about the extent one deviates from the norm (provided an adequate and conscious understanding of that norm) rather than the motivation behind that deviation.

9. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

I was trying to make the point that hipsters try to be unique in that they are interested in obscure and esoteric things/ideas/music and have no interest in the mainstream.

However, in doing so, they share those interests with other hipsters. This makes them a group of people conforming to non-conformity.

Anyway, I was trying to be humorous, rather than getting into a deep philosophical discussion of hipsters.

I recall seeing a sketch (that I think was posted on here) that said hipsters liked only obscure bands, and if they were finally successful, hipsters accused them of selling out.

Reminds me of some people with tattoos and/or piercings who go on and on about how unique and individual they are, and then hang out with a bunch of other people with tattoos and piercings.

1 person likes this.
  10. JapanAlex01

God, hipster-ism is so easy (it's in the name, duh!): It's about being cool; there are tendencies (clichés) amongst hipsters--like eye-rolling 24/7, track bikes (while not being a serious biker or on a track), ironic moustaches, greasy hair (that's bohemian, dude), tight jeans (which has bled into pop culture *shudders*), etc, etc.

Ironic, in the sense of hipster-ism, is about doing/wearing something, etc, that is meant to be a joke, but secretly the hipster is trying to be cool from his lack of non-conformity/uniqueness. EG: ironic moustaches.

Done. *Brushes off hands and walks away*

11. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

I see a lot of younger gfolks wear tie and jeans, I believe the knitted ties and chino pants or jeans combination. But older folks such as I am have always worn the suit the way it's supposed to be worn.

12. CushyCouture

CushyCouture Well-Known Member

Thanks for getting this thread back on track. I think knitted ties like these are the ugliest things you can put on next to strewn garbage: http://www.mrporter.com/product/188009

You're a man, not a teddy bear for christ's sake. And I applaud you for not looking like a tie and jeans wearing douche :)

13. JapanAlex01

Supposed to be smosedtabe... IT'S ALL ABOUT AESTHETICS, PEOPLE, NOT RULES!!!

14. Big T

Big T Senior member

A few years back, a trucking exec took me and two others to a baseball game. As our departure was upon conclusion of a work day, we were all somewhat dressed up. At our arrival at the stadium, the trucking guy jumped into the back seat, changed clothes, coming out with the tightest, shortest khaki shorts and skin tight muscle t-shirt.

For the rest of the evening the rest of us sidled away from trucking guy at every chance. Don't know or care about trucking guy's sexual orientation, but he sure did look ridiculous.

15. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Exactly. People always overthink this, but it's really quite simple.

1 person likes this.
  16. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Do you realise quite how ignorant you sound?

3 people like this.
  17. dfetz3

dfetz3 Member

Knitted ties are awesome, I actually have a navy blue knit tie like the one you pictured.

What is it about them that you don't like? Just because they're not as formal as a silk tie doesn't mean they're worthless.

18. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

+1. I love them. They're the perfect balance between casual and dressy. They're dressy with an element of fun and approachability.

1 person likes this.
  19. CushyCouture

CushyCouture Well-Known Member

Do you realize how affected you sound?

20. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

do you realize where you're posting.

1 person likes this.