• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review my first date outfit for tomorrow night..!

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bonus points for getting a date with a girl from the fashion industry! Good luck dude!

We don't know what she does in the 'fashion industry', model, designer, executive?,.. could just be making the coffee for all we know. I was in the 'fashion industry' for 5 years.... employed as a driver. Plus I know a few girls in the 'fashion industry' myself... all sewing jeans in a Guangzhou sweatshop.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I get kind of annoyed at people on the forum sometimes. I feel like people try to dress OP's. This OP clearly has his own vision of what looks good and I think it is important to just try to steer them in a way where they look better, not just try to dress them like Mafoofan. Just because a lot of people don't like boots, or don't like blazer and jeans doesn't mean others don't. I find it very important to improve people's style and advise, not completely change. If they want to look more like an iGent, or a punk rocker, or whatever they will get there on their own merit.

+1, well said, let the man be himself but with a bit of refinement :slayer:

nytek

Reaction score
It's all a bit overwhelming when you first join the forum but you really learn to develop a filter as I get to understand your own style. FWIW, as a 26 year old finance guy myself in the city, the OP looks just fine for a first date and the blazer and pocket square by itself will make him stand out of the crowd.

People in their 20s wear jeans and polos to go out. Anytime I put on just a simple navy blazer with jeans and suede chukkas, I get compliments of looking dapper, etc. If you wear khakis with penny loafers for a first date (unless you're coming straight for work), you'll come across as a stuffy old man. I don't even want to address the suggestion of wearing a tie as a 26 year old to a first date... wtf, who does that?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Like the look. I think the boots are fine but you can go with something less rugged for a more refined look. Agree with reddish/non-blue pocket square. Don't mind the watch. Good luck!

Willin

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, all.

It's interesting to hear everyone's opinions. I wouldn't consider wearing khakis and penny loafers, etc, on a date. That seems way too stuffy for my taste. I think it's the region I live in but the denim jeans + blazer seems to be a staple look.

I am taking her to a dimly lit, trendy sushi lounge which plays house music so I'd feel out of place if I had loafers on, etc.

Regarding the pocket square - I may stick with the "tv" fold. The poof is a little too dandyish for my taste and further calls attention to something that is already demanding attention (white PS with a touch of red). I just don't think I could pull it off.

I'm not a pilot but I may be using that watch to navigate my way into her pants..! Haha - kidding. Hopefully my jokes improve before this date tonight, ha! Bigger, bolder watches in NYC finance are acceptable. Again I think it's a regional thing.

To the 26 year old guy in NYC, if you see me walking around in that outfit tonight feel free to poke fun..! Please don't steal the girl off of my arm though- she's a looker.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bolder watches are acceptable, however most true watch aficianados and/or very style (not fashion) conscious well dressed folks prefer subtle watches. I don't think it is regional at all as I am a 26 year old professional in the city also. Bold watches kind of come across to most well-seasoned style guys as trying to hard, or immature. Kind of like when you see a girl wearing a tank top, sweatpants and a Louis Vuitton handbag.

Willin

Reaction score

Bolder watches are acceptable, however most true watch aficianados and/or very style (not fashion) conscious well dressed folks prefer subtle watches. I don't think it is regional at all as I am a 26 year old professional in the city also. Bold watches kind of come across to most well-seasoned style guys as trying to hard, or immature. Kind of like when you see a girl wearing a tank top, sweatpants and a Louis Vuitton handbag.

I definitely understand the sentiment. I have decently large forearms and hands though so it doesn't feel too overpowering. The X Wind is 44mm which isn't terribly large - it actually seems about average nowadays with most watches around 42mm. I think the silver and gauges just make it have a bit more presence than usual. I'll have to take a picture of the other 10 watches in my collection - it would drive a lot of members here up a wall, haha

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kind of like when you see a girl wearing a tank top, sweatpants and a Louis Vuitton handbag.

What does one do when every girl in the city seems to carry a Louis Vuitton handbag?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I definitely understand the sentiment. I have decently large forearms and hands though so it doesn't feel too overpowering. The X Wind is 44mm which isn't terribly large - it actually seems about average nowadays with most watches around 42mm. I think the silver and gauges just make it have a bit more presence than usual. I'll have to take a picture of the other 10 watches in my collection - it would drive a lot of members here up a wall, haha

Tell me about it! My father owns somewhere around 40 Invicta watches :facepalm:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would never wear a tie to a first date unless you have come straight from work, and you wear a tie atthat work. Trying way too hard otherwise, especially at 23. I think your on the right track basically though.

That's dumb^^^. Dude is 23 going on a first date. Unless he is coming from work and dresses like that, why would/should he go home and put on a suit and french cuffed shirt/links/tie for a night out???? GTFO!!

Normally we see eye to eye, but on this I couldn't disagree more. A skin tight dress shirt, links and a tie to a first date? Its just far too formal, a little weird looking, and not at all approachable.

Well just so its clear, he said he's 26, and in finance. I assume he wears a tie to work, that he has money, and that he is treating her to a nice restaurant. Maybe cuffs are a bit dressy, but tie I don't think so.

I just filled in blanks as I saw fit.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you are clearly putting a lot of thought into this and you now have the dress bit down, you will need some advice on behavior that is as attractive as your clothes.

Start here.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Bradden

Reaction score

This is the most ******* insane piece of advice I have ever seen on SF.

Sure, change the watch strap - HOW CONVENIENT AND EFFECTIVE FOR TONIGHT'S DATE. IT WILL SUBDUE THE EFFECT OF MY POCKET SQUARE.

Come on .

Not pocket square. The leather strap will understate the watch a little. I think that the 44mm watch with the stainless steel bracelet may be a little bold. The OP mentioned he has a least 10 watches so I am sure he has a few straps to fit with the watch obsession.

I do not know where you thought that the watch strap would affect the pocket square. That did not come from me. The terseness of your reply leads me to think that you have some pent up frustration. Maybe you should make the switch to decaf. If you felt a little better after your comment, I am glad that I was able to give you an opportunity to let some capital letters fly.

To the OP I think your outfit works, be comfortable, be confident and be yourself. If that does not work, she does not deserve you.

Good Luck !

VelvetGreen

Reaction score

Not pocket square. The leather strap will understate the watch a little. I think that the 44mm watch with the stainless steel bracelet may be a little bold. The OP mentioned he has a least 10 watches so I am sure he has a few straps to fit with the watch obsession.

I do not know where you thought that the watch strap would affect the pocket square. That did not come from me. The terseness of your reply leads me to think that you have some pent up frustration. Maybe you should make the switch to decaf. If you felt a little better after your comment, I am glad that I was able to give you an opportunity to let some capital letters fly.

To the OP I think your outfit works, be comfortable, be confident and be yourself. If that does not work, she does not deserve you.

Good Luck !

I suppose you may be correct.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads