Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Review my first date outfit for tomorrow night..!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Willin, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Willin

Willin Senior member

So I have a first date with a fine young lady who works in fashion design tomorrow night.

Here is a rough idea of what I am planning on wearing.

Brooks Brothers Soft Regent Sport Coat (Except mine has dark brown buttons, not white as pictured):

[​IMG]

Tommy Hilfiger Blue Gingham shirt:

[​IMG]

Hillside Blue Cross Pocket Square:

[​IMG]

Dark Blue Denim Jeans + Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots in Rust (both similar to what's pictured except I'm not tucking into the boots):

[​IMG]

I'm wearing a rust colored belt that matches the boots.

Hamilton X Wind Watch:

[​IMG]

Billykirk Triple Wrap:

[​IMG]

I think it all works but I'm not sure if the blue cross pocket square + blue gingham is too much? My only other option is an off white pocket square or none whatsoever.

Let me know your thoughts! If you can't tell, I'm bored at work! Haha

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would wear a pocket square with some red in it that doesn't match the shirt. I hope your ensemble fits well. I would lose the watch as well. It is too busy. A sleeker watch with a simple face would suit your look much better.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Whats your age and general profession?

Whats her age?

Where are you going?

What time?

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I am not over-fond of the blazer+jeans look, but I realize many men like it. However, when you match up the jeans with a pair of outdoor boots, the whole effect is sartorially very anomalous--like you're trying to be Wm. F. Buckley, Jr., from the waist up and Paul Bunyan from the waist down.

The blue gingham shirt, blazer and square all seem like an okay combo to me, but I would suggest pairing them with some nice chinos or khakis and a less rugged pair of shoes, maybe penny loafers or something like that.

OR

If you want the rugged, outdoorsman look, keep the boots and jeans and team them up with a plaid wool or cotton flannel shirt and a jean jacket or wool mackinaw depending on how chilly it is where you are.

Just my $.02.

5. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

clothes look fine; question is how do YOU look?

Btw, I'd wear a leather strapped watch. I know lots of artsy girls who think of those kind of watches as douchey.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

I regret to tell you that this looks dreadful. It is something from a magazine of twenty years ago and demonstrates no thought about what to wear or how you look. In addition this blazer looks too small for the model in the body and the sleeve length is worse.

Look about you, think and start again.

7. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

You're on the right track, but there's too much blue. Patrick is right about the pocket square. Keep the fold low key, though. Anything too poofy seems affected in this context.

The boots with this jacket aren't my cup of tea, but I've seen it done and done well. If you can pull it off, by all means.

I disagree profoundly about the jeans and jacket look. Denim provides texture and visual interest. Though there are many exceptions, a date is no place for a suit, while the sport coat provides just enough formality to say he went to the effort to give their date the gravitas it deserves.

EDIT: I am not crazy about that jacket. I get what BB is trying to do there but it comes across like a bar mitzvah get up. Then again, maybe it works on you.

8. Willin

Willin Senior member

I'm 26, finance, NYC. She's 23 (ish?), fashion design, NYC.

I agree that I was initially a bit over-ambitious in my footwear selection. It was definitely overwhelming for this outfit. I have just been eager to wear my new boots since I recently bought them. I am also going to opt out of wearing the Billykirk Triple Wrap because it's too much of an additional dynamic for my taste with the gingham pattern, etc.

After throwing a few things on I decided against the Wolverine 1000 miles and subbed in my black Cole Haan Oxford cap toes with a black belt.

I'm pretty set on the outfit... the only thing I am debating is whether to use my Hillside Blue Cross or my "Japan" pocket square which is off-white with a hint of red when folded. Your thoughts?

Japan PS:

[​IMG]

Blue Cross:

[​IMG]

Me - Jeans are Gap Selvage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I like the japan one more. Otherwise you are too blue.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1..
    that outfit is do-able. skip the boots....and pls...show more cuff and MUCH LESS watch.

11. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

He's going on a date, not marrying Kate Middleton. Get a grip.
    You obviously didn't "regret" anything going through your pea of a brain or you wouldn't have been such a dick.

EDIT: Forget it, I read your last dozen posts and it's clear you're a professional asshole.

12. lynchpatrickj

lynchpatrickj Senior member

Your clothes are good and you're trim and clean-looking, and your clothes are complimentary to an impression of you as a person who knows how to look good and aware of aesthetic details. Hopefully, you're a kind and decent person and she's a great fun, and your date will be worth the effort. Good luck!

13. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    [​IMG]

14. Bradden

Bradden Well-Known Member

Change the strap on the X-Wind. A leather strap (aviator straps work with the X-wind) will subdue the presence a little.

15. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Senior member

I think the adjustments you are making will be good. Go with the Japan ps.

First impressions and image aside, how the night goes, that's up to you. Good luck!