• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review: Custom leather briefcase from Narragansett Leathers in Maine, US.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he said something about having to deal with the store or something and won't have time to make briefcases. I think I was the last one.

ddonicht

Reaction score
A couple of people have asked about a Custom Hide bag. I got a Ranger laptop bag from them a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with it. If people want, I can do a review of it. This is the one I got. http://www.customhide.com/ranger_laptop.html

Oh, and these Narragansett ones are a good looking bag too. Great purchase guys, hope you enjoy them.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FYI, I just got an email from the owner saying that they are not accepting any orders for 2011 (I assume this is for the briefcases), but there seems to be a waiting list of sorts in case someone cancels.

Yeah, he said something about having to deal with the store or something and won't have time to make briefcases. I think I was the last one.

In my correspondence with Alan a couple of months ago, he wrote that he runs the shop during summer tourist season, that his schedule through June was filled, and that he never makes special-order bags in July and August.

He does have a waiting list, though, which I am on for November delivery. By now, I suppose the 2011 queue is filled, but that certainly isn't the last bag.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean before he stops with the custom orders for July and August. Mine was the last week of June so yeah, it's the last one.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so it's the last one shipped in June. I don't understand how that is any way significant. Nice bag though.

nihraguk

Reaction score
My bag is due in late December, so I think I managed to squeeze myself in just before the list closed for 2011.

Still can't decide what sort of compartments/pockets I should have in the interior though.

Herky210

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the review and pics. That is a stunning bag and I really love the color. This is on my wish list now.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Just thought I'd revive this thread:

I shared an email exchange with Alan about a week ago. He had put me on the custom bag list a while back and I was checking in to see the status. He has me slated for third week in September and he said he will be getting back to me soon to discuss details....

So, any suggestions from the group? I have a small stature, and I want something that fits my proportions well (5'3" 136 lbs). I was thinking of having the bag be just around 13" in width, maybe 4" in depth, and around 10" in height (give or take). Any thoughts on this? I do not carry much on a daily basis. At most a small pad, maybe some files for work (usually I limit what I lug around for work), umbrella, ipad, maybe a book, newspaper, etc. I do have a larger bag at my disposal for the situations that call for lugging extra materials.

I was thinking of doing a quick access pocket in the back like the OP (to shove stuff in on the train and such), maybe key hook in the center divider as well as pen holders.

I'd love to see some pics of the bags Alan made for everyone else to get some ideas!!

Last edited:

Herky210

Reaction score
Seems like 4" depth would be too much for how light you like to keep things in your bag. Unless those books and files are really thick. I was thinking of 3" with a MacBook Air, iPad, and maybe a file or two or book, pencils, phone.

sonvolt10

Reaction score
Thanks to the exposure on here and elsewhere, anyone planning on ordering a bag from Alan had best be VERY patient.

I just received an email from him informing me that a bag ordered today would not be delivered until APRIL, 2012.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score

Seems like 4" depth would be too much for how light you like to keep things in your bag. Unless those books and files are really thick. I was thinking of 3" with a MacBook Air, iPad, and maybe a file or two or book, pencils, phone.

Herky -- thanks for the response! I actually was thinking 3" as well, not sure why the heck I typed 4". If I do 3" the question is whether or not I do a divider (I think I want one) and how to space it? I was thinking either going right in half, or doing 1" and 2" compartments. (1" in the rear, 2" in the front)

Thoughts?

Herky210

Reaction score
I think a 2" and a 1" divider if you have one at all. With an iPad you could probably fit it with a notepad, files, and whatever else in either side as thin as the IPad is.

Today I put a MacBook Air, iPad 2 and thick notepad in the protective zipper sleeve for an old iBook. You really don't need much room to carry a lot as these devices get smaller. Thinking 5 - 10 years down the road, assuming you want long term use out of this briefcase, what would you probably carry? By then I am sure my iPhone/iPad will be my computer hooking into an external monitor and keyboard at the office. So, I just need room for some files and that iPad which will probably be thinner than a Kindle is now. Practically takes me down to a portfolio sized case.

I would get the outside pocket like the OP did for a newspaper and like your idea of the key hook.

Hope my rambling helps your decision making process.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a question to those who own briefcases and use shoulder straps:

I love this briefcase dearly but I have run into a little predicament. It seems that there is a little flap issue with the shoulder strap. The shoulder strap mounts on the side of the bag thus when worn, the strap pushes against the top flap and distorts the sides of the flap. Any idea? I am just curious if anyone knows anything about this. I will wear it nonetheless.

hikari013

Reaction score

I've got a question to those who own briefcases and use shoulder straps:
I love this briefcase dearly but I have run into a little predicament. It seems that there is a little flap issue with the shoulder strap. The shoulder strap mounts on the side of the bag thus when worn, the strap pushes against the top flap and distorts the sides of the flap. Any idea? I am just curious if anyone knows anything about this. I will wear it nonetheless.

Just got an email from Alan and he is about to start on my bag. I think I'm going to go with a smaller bag as they seem to be pretty heavy with all the different pockets and things. I'm going to also relocate the shoulder strap hooks to the top of the bag on the handle. I think that will prevent the flat distortion issue.

Lawfor

Reaction score
It is a common problem with bags that have that strap placement. Some makers use oval shaped cut-outs in the top flap to help avoid it. I had one bag where the strap was slowly destroying the flap by compressing it and wrinkling the leather. It is a design issue, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads