• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Returning to California

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is this so complicated?

California is basically like this:

Northern Cali: wear whatever the **** you want year round. You can wear suits, sweaters, shorts, flip flops, dress shoes, boots, peacoats, down jackets. It has ******* perfect weather so you can wear a t shirt and jeans with some sort of douchey jacket every single ******* day of the year and you will be neither too cold nor too warm, or get as elaborate as you want. If you wear a scarf it will be for decoration, I never owned a scarf in Cali until age 28 because you don't need it. If it is too warm to wear something during the day, wait until after 8 pm, it will be 30 degrees cooler that night.

Southern Cali or Inland: exactly the same except 10 degrees warmer and it rains even less. This will reduce your need for sweaters, heavy suits, and heavy outerwear. Otherwise, the same: wear whatever the **** you want.

It's the east coast where dressing is overly complicated. In Feb you are wearing your full arsenal of 4 lb knits, wool slacks, overcoats and three scarves and by April those clothes will be useless. **** the east coast/midwest/south

Last edited:

pinchi22

Reaction score
I can relate (as another Californian living in S. Europe for last several years).

Why not pick up a nice, lightweight Italian merino wool sweater or two? If you´re going to be on the coast (esp. in N. Calif.), you´ll need it when the fog rolls in. It will look a lot better than the fleece the others will be wearing.

How about a pair of Randolph Engineering classic aviator sunglasses? Good enough for Don Draper, and maybe you can pick them up at the PX at a discount. If you want to standout from your U.S. colleagues, then perhaps you can get a pair of Persols on sale while you are still in Italy. While you´re there, maybe you can find a pair of somewhat trim fit chinos at Boggi (on sale?).

And don´t forget to embrace your American roots! I´ve seen lots of Italians in Levis (albeit not pre-washed Grandpa variety), RL polo shirts (especially if you´ll be near an inland outlet), Gant button downs or rugby shirts (no longer American-owned, I know), classic camp mocs or boat shoes (instead of flip flops). These are classics that will look good nearly anywhere and fit with your age (neither teenie hipster nor grandpa). IMO, the Italians really know how to incorporate U.S. clothing in their sartorial mix.

Last edited:

mcqueen007

Reaction score

I can relate (as another Californian living in S. Europe for last several years).
Why not pick up a nice, lightweight Italian merino wool sweater or two? If you´re going to be on the coast (esp. in N. Calif.), you´ll need it when the fog rolls in. It will look a lot better than the fleece the others will be wearing.
How about a pair of Randolph Engineering classic aviator sunglasses? Good enough for Don Draper, and maybe you can pick them up at the PX at a discount. If you want to standout from your U.S. colleagues, then perhaps you can get a pair of Persols on sale while you are still in Italy. While you´re there, maybe you can find a pair of somewhat trim fit chinos at Boggi (on sale?).
And don´t forget to embrace your American roots! I´ve seen lots of Italians in Levis (albeit not pre-washed Grandpa variety), RL polo shirts (especially if you´ll be near an inland outlet), Gant button downs or rugby shirts (no longer American-owned, I know), classic camp mocs or boat shoes (instead of flip flops). These are classics that will look good nearly anywhere and fit with your age (neither teenie hipster nor grandpa). IMO, the Italians really know how to incorporate U.S. clothing in their sartorial mix.

Funny you mention the shades. Already looked into the Randolph's, and the wife hates them, and prefers my Ray-Ban aviators to them. I'll be in Southern California, so that makes a difference, and the wool sweaters just won't be necessary, and I love the idea of getting a nice cardigan... I just won't ever wear it.

Persols for sure, but I haven't really seen any here in northern Italy. I do see plenty of RL polo and Lacoste polo shirts. The slim chinos I see out in town are often the right fit (though there are plenty that are too skinny), but clearly cheaply made. I'm told the people in southern Italy dress nicer than up here, where it is a little more of a blue-collar dress.

pinchi22

Reaction score

Funny you mention the shades. Already looked into the Randolph's, and the wife hates them, and prefers my Ray-Ban aviators to them. I'll be in Southern California, so that makes a difference.

Great. I´m sure you´ll use the Ray-Bans in S. California!

Here, further south in Europe (Spain), Ray-Ban aviators were all the rage last year. This year, it´s been Ray-Ban again, but this time the wayfarers.

Last edited:

mcqueen007

Reaction score
Thanks, man. I just love my stone-color chinos. They go well with a dark polo, ala Daniel Craig, and my dark brown desert boots.

The linen trouser (and I will only get one pair) is for port visits to Thailand, the Philippines, or wherever tropical place the Navy takes me. The big thing I really need to get is a quality casual shoe. I've looked into the Sebago boat shoe, and some nice Venetian loafers, but I'm notoriously cheap.

mcqueen007

Reaction score

Well if you are insisting on the linen trousers just stay away from the white! Maybe a darker tone like black, brown or blue? When I was staying in Singapore, I saw a few people in the black variety and it got a pass my me (just). But yes, when the weather gets its heat on, sometimes you just don't care what you're wearing as long as it happens to be comfortable.

If you're going for casual shoes, I'd recommend espadrilles again. They're generally quite cheap. Unfortunately when it comes to shoes, it's that situation that you pay for what you get. You may be lucky enough to get away with flip flops or general sandals (it's what the locals wear anyway).

The linen trouser I would get in khaki color, but my wife is also advising against them.

I was looking at these, Loafers because I have yet to find espadrilles that would suit my conservative style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads