• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What different styles are a possibility for me? Advice would be appreciated!

GoingToSiberia

Reaction score
This is definitely a stupid question but...I'm a 22 year old guy, not super fat, but not thin either. I could stand to lose some weight. I'm going to Russia in a month and I'm trying to figure out a decent style to wear. I have a $220 dollar budget for clothing before I leave.

I was going to go for the nice dress shirts and dress pants style but the shirts in my price range just do not fit well and if I'm going to dress nice, I'm gonna look nice. In the next few months, once I hopefully lose a bit of weight, I'll get nicer quality shirts ($30-$40 a piece?) and pants. In the mean time, I need some advice on this.

My plan starts with jeans...a good basis for any style. I'm either going to buy a few pairs of these Rustlers regular fit straight leg jeans in 32x28 (I can certainly fit in a 30W size jeans but they're a bit tight and I'd probably do better in a 32. The other choice is these Wrangler regular fit jeans. I was going to get 3 colors...dark blue, blue, light blue...maybe 4 pairs or 5 pairs. So we have the jeans.

This is the tough part...I could either go ultra casual or way less casual. I was considering a few flannel shirts, unbuttoned over an undershirt like this picture. I was thinking something like this in black, navy blue, and gray for underneath the flannel, or just to wear plain.

I have plenty of socks so that's not an issue, but what is an issue is shoes...I can't really think of what kind of shoes would go with this. I'd say boots would be the best choice...any recommendations of what style would go best would be appreciated.

In terms of outerwear, I already have a Levi Strauss sherpa lined denim jacket which is pretty damn warm, though considering I'll be heading to Siberia, I'll probably have to pick up a parka while I'm there.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
I don't think Sibera is the most fashion forward place on earth ... If you plan to loose weight I would always advice to go to 2nd hand stores. You will be able to buy nice jeans (Levi's, Wrangler, etc) for about 10-15$. You definitely don't need 5 pairs of jeans, 3 is fine considering you won't keep it for a long time. You will also be able to find some nice overshirt (flannel, etc) used. It's easier to find an ok fit for this than an ok fit for a dress shirt (by the way 30-40usd is really bottom line price and you will probably sacrifice quality or fit in the process).

Concerning your shoes, I would shoes boots. Quality boots come at a price. You can try to find slightly used ones on ebay if you now your size on the exact model. It's hard to find quality boots under 200 usd new. It also depends on how much you plan to invest in your boots. A pair of redwings/wolverine/etc will last you for many many years.

GoingToSiberia

Reaction score
I don't think Sibera is the most fashion forward place on earth ... If you plan to loose weight I would always advice to go to 2nd hand stores. You will be able to buy nice jeans (Levi's, Wrangler, etc) for about 10-15$. You definitely don't need 5 pairs of jeans, 3 is fine considering you won't keep it for a long time. You will also be able to find some nice overshirt (flannel, etc) used. It's easier to find an ok fit for this than an ok fit for a dress shirt (by the way 30-40usd is really bottom line price and you will probably sacrifice quality or fit in the process).

Concerning your shoes, I would shoes boots. Quality boots come at a price. You can try to find slightly used ones on ebay if you now your size on the exact model. It's hard to find quality boots under 200 usd new. It also depends on how much you plan to invest in your boots. A pair of redwings/wolverine/etc will last you for many many years.
For the jeans, WalMart has Rustler jeans new for $12 a piece and I've heard good things about them. Would you just recommend flannel or regular button downs as well?

In terms of dress shirts, I'm not concerned enough with it to spend more than $30-$40 dollars on one, maybe $50 at the most, nor do I make enough money to do so. Hopefully once I slim down, off the shelf shirts will fit me better.

I just want something stylish yet not too expensive...they don't necessarily have to be super nice boots as long as they look good. At this point, I'm going looks over functionality, and I'll have to buy snow boots there which will get me through most of the winter anyway. Any specific model recommendations?

GoingToSiberia

Reaction score
I bought 2 new pairs of jeans (one Lee's, one Wrangler) and 4 flannel long sleeve shirts, all the same style but different colors. Probably going to have my jeans hemmed to get the right length on them. I'll post pictures of the shirts in a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads