• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resole New Shoes - Can You Use Any Sole?

Hairingtons

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an amateur (and hence a lurker) compared to most of the posters on here, so forgive me if this is a silly question.

I've been searching for a pair of penny loafers, found a pair of Rancourts that are 90% perfect, but I don't really like the sole. So my questions is, when you resole a pair of shoes, can you have it replaced with a completely different style of sole?

To be particular (and again forgive me for non-technical language
confused.gif
) the heel is too big and the sole protrudes from the sides of the shoe a little too much. So was wondering if that can be replaced with a different style.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Hairingtons

Reaction score
Hi Fred, I've actually been in contact with Rancourt. Their customer service people seem very good, but unfortunately said they can not customise the actual sole - ie, make the heel smaller. They do have options for different soles, which I could choose from, but didn't have the option for what I wanted.

What I'm considering is getting some new Rancourts and then at some point have a new sole put on.

(By 90% perfect, I didn't mean a second-hand pair in good condition, just that shoes are almost exactly what I want.)

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, by 90% I was assuming they were used. What sole exactly are you looking for? It seems a bit of a waste to turn around and resole a new pair. If Rancourt can't accomodate what you want, maybe consider another brand? Alden, Quoddy, Oak Street Bootmakers, Yuketen, etc., all make resoleable loafers. Perhaps one of them will have the sole you want.

Hairingtons

Reaction score
Thanks for the name drops, I was aware of Alden, but not really the others. Just checked them out. So cheers for that.

I'll try to show you what kind of sole I've got in mind.

This is the Rancourt (Alden do a very similar full strap by the looks of it). The sole is a bit chunky for my preference. Heel stacked a bit high. And the sole comes out past the toe.

Something like this from the Yuketen website. The sole is thin, doesn't really protrude. If the heel was a little smaller that'd be perfect.

Basically something slimline I guess. A final example, ignore the rest of the shoe, but the heel is the right height and a very thin sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads