• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Relaxed through thighs and slim and straight from knee below?

jsp514

Reaction score
I'm looking for jeans that are relatively relaxed, but not baggy, through thighs and slim and straight from knee below, leg opening being 8-8.5 inches. The kind of relaxed I'm talking about is such that jeans neither hug thighs nor leave uneven billowing, something like how well-cut trousers drape, creating smooth and straight lines over thighs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong- based on my (limited) observations and experiences, the Earnest Sewn Fulton models seem to achieve this kind of drape best. For example, compared to APC New Standard, ES have roomier thighs (or maybe somehow cut that way?) but narrower and straighter from knee below. New Standards hug thighs but do not get slimmer from knee below in the same degree as Fultons do, except the gradual tapering. Rescues, on the other hand, are just too relaxed through thighs and knee below. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's the conclusion drawn from my experiences as an owner of three pairs of Fulton and both NS and Rescue.

Why don't I just wear Fultons? Obviously the quality is lacking, and color, wash, and stitching all scream "California" too loudly for my taste. Hopefully my explanation made sense and you guys have some suggestions. Thanks
smile.gif

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jsp514
Why don't I just wear Fultons? Obviously the quality is lacking, and color, wash, and stitching all scream "California" too loudly for my taste. Hopefully my explanation made sense and you guys have some suggestions. Thanks
smile.gif

I wouldn't say that the quality is lacking, and the Fulton comes in a lot of colors, and washes. The stitching is fairly plain to my eye - there's no design on the pockets.

but other than that, I have nothing.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think fultons in the XX dry denim are fine quality. You may want to look at the even steven that has the non-contrast stitching if you want something subtle, or the average joe if you don't mind the contrast stitching. Both seem to be exactly what you want. Straight sven perhaps as well.

I've begun to feel that denim and construction quality is less important than fit of late. Then again I don't wear each pair of jeans as often as most people on here with like 30+ pairs in rotation.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
I don't think the Mic is that relaxed through the top block... it's kinda slim all over.

Top block is very slim, true, but I find the thigh to be relatively loose, especially compared to what most people on here consider a "regular" fit.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Top block is very slim, true, but I find the thigh to be relatively loose, especially compared to what most people on here consider a "regular" fit.

I think he's looking for a fit through the thigh like the Fulton, and I think the Mic is slimmer at least IMO.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
You might like a Skull 5507. They're slim but definitely have room in the thighs, I love mine and I seem to like jeans that fit your description.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you are looking for sounds somewhat like Even Steven...but the ES is not what I'd call relaxed/loose through the thighs...maybe the Average Joe..but that is somewhat a 501 fit w/o anti-fit..

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
What you are looking for sounds somewhat like Even Steven...but the ES is not what I'd call relaxed/loose through the thighs...maybe the Average Joe..but that is somewhat a 501 fit w/o anti-fit..

Even Steven is slightly tapered, and is definitely not relaxed at the thighs. So yea, an Average Joe would be better.

Otherwise a Regular Ralf's bootcut is really really subtle.

Cusovr6

Reaction score
Even Stevens are definitely tapered, though I love mine for a chill look. I wanted exactly what you are looking for in a dressier denim and ended up with the KMW 1980, which are arriving today. They are 9" from knee to cuff, my even stevens are 9" in the knee and 7.5" at the cuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads