1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Regional style differences.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jpeirpont, Aug 10, 2004.

1. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

So Im picking up that the Pacific Northwest is the worst dressed region in the world.

If you are into style here, you get marginalized for caring about "petty outdated traditions" and such. And yeah, stylish guys get labeled "effeminate." Stylish women get snatched up quickly but are asumed to be "snobbish and high-maintenence." The remaining slovenly women act a bit entitled and get mad when guys tend to not notice them for their personality and eventually they become asexual. And the guys become milquetoast because there's no one to impress.

IMO, when you take style from a population's daily life, its just one more thing to make life boring.

2. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

So Im picking up that the Pacific Northwest is the worst dressed region in the world.

If you are into style here, you get marginalized for caring about "petty outdated traditions" and such. And yeah, stylish guys get labeled "effeminate." Stylish women get snatched up quickly but are asumed to be "snobbish and high-maintenence." The remaining slovenly women act a bit entitled and get mad when guys tend to not notice them for their personality and eventually they become asexual. And the guys become milquetoast because there's no one to impress.

IMO, when you take style from a population's daily life, its just one more thing to make life boring.

I lived in Seattle for a year a few years ago. Streetwear with discernible attempts at style was quite common, but MC stuff quite rare.

3. 82-Greg

82-Greg Senior member

...I think in the South, for example, you're more likely to see bow ties and seersucker. That's a generalization of course...

I don't believe it is an over-generalization as far as seersucker. I was born and raised a Connecticut Yankee and never saw seersucker until I went to college in South Carolina. (Same holds true for pickled pigs feet.)

I think bow ties have a small--but dedicated--following across the country.

Red pants are easily observed in some New England climes in the summer, but rarely seen (on men) elsewhere. Bolo ties are rare outside of New Mexico (thank goodness)! Cowboy hats are definitely mid-western or western attire. Shearling coats are common in the midwest areas and mountain states; however, they are rare in the east and unseen (and largely unnecessary) in the south. California is significantly more casual in attire than the east coast.

I largely attribute these observations to normal weather patterns. (Bolo ties are unattributable.)

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The generalization we can be sure of is the casualization of big cities...
    People tend to go for comforatble clothing instead of more elegant combos..
    Even upmarket brands such as John Lobb or JM WESTON are going down the road of the semi-casual shoe...

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

The generalization we can be sure of is the casualization of big cities...
    People tend to go for comforatble clothing instead of more elegant combos..
    Even upmarket brands such as John Lobb or JM WESTON are going down the road of the semi-casual shoe...

I seemed to notice differences years ago when I traveled domestically and internationally, but not so much anymore. I attribute it to globalization, the web, etc.

6. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

When I came to the UK in the eighties , it was really a different country ...
    In my country, We used to have the same pop songs and movies but 3 months after ...The same phenomenon was also true in terms of street fashion for example...
    Now, my 16 year-old niece is listening to the Kooks ,Snowpatrol ,Kazabian and all the British indie group and her look (skinny jeans,leather jacket) is the same than British teenagers...
    With globalization ,the world is becoming smaller every day...

7. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

I think globalization is helping people dress much better. I like it. For example, here in Seattle we have never had an inexpensive place to buy fashionable clothing. But with all the fashionistas on the internet blabbing about "why dont we have an H&M?" and such, the chatter got to be so big that H&M noticed the market potential and moved in. Without the internets, only people who traveled would know what H&M was.

Also I don't think we give enough credit to Stacy and Clinton. [​IMG]

And so ends the gheyest post I've ever made.

8. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

And so ends the gheyest post I've ever made.

Don't worry, you probably have more posts like that in you.

- B

9. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

DC, NYC, and Boston seem markedly more formal than Chicago. Jackets and ties in Chicago were a rarity, and positively alien amongst twenty-somethings (unless worn with irony). In contrast, nobody in Washington or Manhattan thinks twice about a young guy in a suit.

10. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

82-Greg is still making a very valid point by pointing some sartorial regionalisms...
    In Venice , the coloured trousers for example...In Russia ,the taste for loud tee-shirts with massive designer names on them and gold shoes and handbags for ladies...

11. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

In Russia ,the taste for loud tee-shirts with massive designer names on them and gold shoes and handbags for ladies...
    I don't think nouveau riche kitsch counts as a regional style difference. [​IMG]

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It is unfortunately becoming a trend for Eastern Europeans even if there is a cultural and historical explanation to this uber materialistic tasteless fashion...

13. madaboutshirt

madaboutshirt Senior member

I noticed that in Sydney, for some reason, people who walk around in Martin Place (which is just a few blocks of buildings in Sydney CBD) dress the best.

14. Spark

Spark Senior member

+100 on the PacNW being a style pit.

Putting aside the unbiquitous smelly hipster uniform of a black hoodie, ultra skinny jeans, oversized white frame sunglasses, a fixie bike and a sneer, trends I have seen in Portland include:

- CEOs in flip flops and shorts - in corporate meetings
    - people walking around in pajamas... in downtown
    - an expanding commitment to the "utilikilt" among men
    - the concept of fleece as a second skin
    - birkenstocks and ragg socks at the opera

Basically, it is a place where black GoreTex qualifies as "formalwear."

15. sarto

sarto Well-Known Member

82-Greg is still making a very valid point by pointing some sartorial regionalisms... In Venice , the coloured trousers for example...In Russia ,the taste for loud tee-shirts with massive designer names on them and gold shoes and handbags for ladies...
    definitely agree with the colored trousers in venice. i was just there a few weeks ago and found some really nice trousers at the Coin department store. then i was pretty impressed with this guy's outfit... i had to take a pic. [​IMG] and higher res... http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3369/...87c4e8cb_o.jpg

16. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

+100 on the PacNW being a style pit.

Putting aside the unbiquitous smelly hipster uniform of a black hoodie, ultra skinny jeans, oversized white frame sunglasses, a fixie bike and a sneer, trends I have seen in Portland include:

- CEOs in flip flops and shorts - in corporate meetings
    - people walking around in pajamas... in downtown
    - an expanding commitment to the "utilikilt" among men
    - the concept of fleece as a second skin
    - birkenstocks and ragg socks at the opera

Basically, it is a place where black GoreTex qualifies as "formalwear."

In the PacNW, the hipsters almost dress better than anyone outside the local fashion industry.

17. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The Venetians are very proud of their city and rightly so and I do think this feeling has been somehow transferred for centuries to their psyche.
    The art of being seen is essential and their coloured trousers spring to my mind when we do talk of regionalism....
    The regional costumes tend to disappear and even the famous Beret is not worn by anyone under 50 or 60 years old..

18. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Does anyone notice any correlation between the beauty of a city's architecture and the level of style in the population's fashion?

19. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Does anyone notice any correlation between the beauty of a city's architecture and the level of style in the population's fashion?

Maybe a little, but I don't know if it is a high correlation. My travels take me to cities like NY, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis and Atlanta quite a bit. I think New Yorkers are the best dressed by far, and I suppose it has the best architecture. Atlanta is quite bad in my opinion - lots of pleats and square toed shoes, despite the likes of Sid Mashburn to help them out. Chicago is pretty middle of the road, and I think the smaller Midwestern cities are stylistic backwaters. Minneapolis may be an outlier as there is a pretty hip culture there for some reason. This is all a generalization and I there are exceptions of course, so I mean no offense to anyone.

As far as specific regional differences I have noticed:
    Boston - button down collars, rep ties, the whole ivy league preppy look, while cliched is how many people think they should dress. With a few exceptions, when people try to look edgey or urban sophisticated, it often flops. The old school Boston Brahman is largely gone, but there are a few pockets of them left with their worn tweed and flannel suits and brown shoes in the old men's clubs (now integrated, of course).

New York - spread collars and cuff links for the office. Much more fashion influenced in general, even in the conservative sectors that I have seen. New Yorkers hate to miss out on anything. Also more formal. Many men would not wear a light colored suit out in the evening. That said, I think you can wear just about anything in New York if you want to, whereas in a lot of other cities a certain dress would be expected at certain functions.

Atlanta - Forward or spread collars on baggy shirts, ugly ties, pleats, pleats and more pleats. I have seen middle aged guys going out for the evening in pressed cargo shorts and golf shirts down to their elbows. Nuff said.

Chicago - Like a smaller New York in some ways, but seemingly a few years behind in the fashion sense. For some reason Chicago seems to have a larger proportion of attractive women than anywhere else. Just thought I would mention that.