• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Shoes

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So do the 875s fit a half size large or true to size? I've never seen anything remotely approaching a consensus on this.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
Nice man. I just got the exact same pair off of Cultizm.

Got them in the mail today, and they definitely fit a good half size larger than the standard 875s I tried on in the Red Wing store.

I'm hoping that a thick insole might make them work.

What are you using to care for yours? I've seen Obenaufs as a recommendation. Will regular shoe polish apply to these (leather is oiled)?

Thanks. I use the red wing mink oil for conditioning. That's it:)

ino

Reaction score
its true to size..if your unsure go to a redwing store...before ebaying them or something

Cali

Reaction score
I think they run half size large. For instance I wear a 10 in RW 875, but a 10.5 in Adidas sneakers.

SJC83

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
So do the 875s fit a half size large or true to size? I've never seen anything remotely approaching a consensus on this.

I wear a 13 in Nike a 13 Nike Sb's and a 13 RW boots they run TTS.

Cali

Reaction score
They are around here, but these are WORK boots so many people probably buy a more traditional black sole boot (they offer steel toes).

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For my first Red Wing boot, I want to get the popular model, the one they are known for. Sort of like getting Chucks, or Sambas, or Vans Slip-Ons. But boy, the 875's look so boring!

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
875s doesnt look boring! fantastic boot imo.

I think RW run a full size large, compared to sneakers. Im a 12 in nike, vans, adidas but a 11 EE in RW.

Cali

Reaction score
Its not a bleeding edge style. These have been around forever and what is so cool about them is that they are classic in a way that those sneakers wish they were. The Japanese geek out on them for this very reason, vintage American workwear that is utilitarian quality. If you want something more modern than the workwear look check out Cloak or even Frye.

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

Funny isn't it? I encountered this in my searching before purchasing my boots.

Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
Any chance these run true to size? If I take a stab on a pair on eBay should I expect them to run big or small? Any guidance would be appreciated. . .

Originally Posted by ruben
In my experience, only with pecos and RW cowboy boots, they run true to size.

Originally Posted by ino
know your width... the length is true

Originally Posted by ino
its true to size..if your unsure go to a redwing store...before ebaying them or something

I wholeheartedly disagree that these run true to size as I am a living testament to the contrary
laugh.gif

I wear a size 11 in all sports shoes (Nikes, Adidas, etc.) and a 10.5 in dress shoes (Hugo Boss, Allen Edmonds, etc.) and I took a whopping 9.5 in my 1908s. In the 875s, I took a 10 Narrow, so depending on what you are comparing them to (dress shoes or sports shoes) you might have to size a half size or an entire size down (in the case of the 1908s, a whole size and a half).

For any of you wanting to go the e-bay route, check the Red Wing website for a stockist in your area. Even if you are in the damn boonies, I can guarantee that someone near you will have them. Try them on in store first..........

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Englandmj7
For any of you wanting to go the e-bay route, check the Red Wing website for a stockist in your area. Even if you are in the damn boonies, I can guarantee that someone near you will have them. Try them on in store first..........
I would say especially if you're in the boonies - where, you know, people actually do work in their boots.
tounge.gif

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, more and more working people don't wear traditional 'working clothes'.

I've worked a number of blue collar jobs the past few years and never seen anyone in red wings.

Most people just wear wal-mart stuff., except carhart.

The Red Wing shop in my town will be closing soon.

Cali

Reaction score
That is too bad, but maybe not surprising considering they run ~$200 a pair. Cheap stuff made in China and sold at Walmart has the advantage of being cheap. That being said you get what you pay for. I happen to think that mil surplus is the best bargain in clothing as you can get very high quality items for dirt cheap and they are 'in style' the way workwear is. My Dad has a pair of flight boots that are thirty years old that I use when I need a steel toe, they are super tough and could be a template for fashionable modern designs.

Quality never goes out of style.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
To add a data point, I have RW engineer boots and I took a 10.5 in them. I normally wear 10.5 US in dress shoes, and 11 US in sneakers and work type boots.

BTW, they are up for sale if anyone wants some somewhat broken in but still plenty of life left black engineer boots in 10.5.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads